Install Windows 11 on SSD with the ability to run it via Parallels (or VMWare) as well

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to install Windows on an SSD and then not only be able to boot into it but also run it from within macOS via Parallels or VMWare.

I know that it is possible if you install Windows with Boot Camp, but unfortunately no matter what I tried, Boot Camp isn’t working… I managed to install Windows 11 by removing macOS NVMe and then plug it back in, now, when OpenCore loads, I’m able to choose between Windows and macOS (with macOS being the default option), but when I’m in macOS I can’t event mount the Windows SSD, I’m getting the error “Could not mount “disk2s3”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.diskenter error 49153.)”, I’m not even able to mount it with Paragon’s NTFS.

The ideal solution would be for Boot Camp to work, install windows 11 from there and then import bootcamp into Parallels, I thought that I would be able to get the same result by just installing Windows manually in a secondary SSD drive, but it seems that it isn’t the case.

Also, is there any way to install windows without the need to disconnect macOS NVMe? 😕 

Thank you all in advance!

@bisdak4920 yes, that is what I have now, although I could argue that with Boot Camp there isn’t any degradation in performance. What I need though, is to be able to start that windows instance not only by rebooting into it, but to start it via Parallels or VMWare while in macOS (like you can with Boot Camp).

UPDATE:

I followed this guide and it worked liked a charm! :D

Edited by panosru