Installation of Monterey on Haswell (i7 4770) with R6900XT (XTXH flavour) hanging

Deep_Thought

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I was running Catalina for a long time but my R9 290X kinda blew up. Since I wanted to get a new 6900XT anyway, this was the perfect time to upgade.

Problem 1: 6900XT support was only added in Big Sur 11.4, so I would have to update from Catalina.

Problem 2: My 6900XT is the XTXH GPU variant which is not directly supported in macOS.

I want to install Monterey with OpenCore. USB stick creation by OC install guide, also integrated XTXH hack as described in https://github.com/TylerLyczak/Unsupported-6900XT-Hackintosh-Fix.

Alas, the installation hangs quite early at  #[EB.LD.OFS|OPEN!] Err(0xE) <"usr\\standalone\\OS.dmg.root_hash"> if I read the log right.

I attached my EFI folder and log from OC from the last install attempt.

If anybody has any insight how to get the installer working, it is greatly appreciated.

EFI.zip Log_opencore-2022-12-08-220523.txt

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 10:15 PM, Deep_Thought said:

Hey guys,

I was running Catalina for a long time but my R9 290X kinda blew up. Since I wanted to get a new 6900XT anyway, this was the perfect time to upgade.

Problem 1: 6900XT support was only added in Big Sur 11.4, so I would have to update from Catalina.

Problem 2: My 6900XT is the XTXH GPU variant which is not directly supported in macOS.

I want to install Monterey with OpenCore. USB stick creation by OC install guide, also integrated XTXH hack as described in https://github.com/TylerLyczak/Unsupported-6900XT-Hackintosh-Fix.

Alas, the installation hangs quite early at  #[EB.LD.OFS|OPEN!] Err(0xE) <"usr\\standalone\\OS.dmg.root_hash"> if I read the log right.

I attached my EFI folder and log from OC from the last install attempt.

If anybody has any insight how to get the installer working, it is greatly appreciated.

EFI.zip 4.25 MB · 9 downloads Log_opencore-2022-12-08-220523.txt 50.41 kB · 2 downloads

Try to play around with Booter - Quirks  https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/troubleshooting/extended/kernel-issues.html#stuck-on-eb-log-exitbs-start

Also make sure your CFGlock settings are correct. If you got no option to disable it in BIOS then disable it with Kernel - Quirks - AppleXcpmCfgLock to Yes.

Edited by aniuks27

Indeed, AppleXcpmCfgLock was the culprit. Funny enough, I thought I had it enabled but must have missed it during installer creation. Now the installer boots to the Monterey install program. Let's see if there are any more obstacles. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Installation went without a hitch and Monterey is up and running. The GPU was recognized immediately and runs smoothly. Now it is time for post-installation cleanup and system setup.

Edited by Deep_Thought