AMD R9 290 has no gpu acceleration in Ventura

Swear

6 posts in this topic

I managed to install Ventura on a gigabyte z97x gaming 5 with an i7 4970k, I had to change SMBIOS to install the system successfully and I kept my SSDT-GPU-spoof.aml from Monterey which worked fine since Big Sur or earlier.

I applied OpenCore Legacy Patcher's patches which (if .aml is enabled, otherwise it does not) detects a patch for my GPU, but when I reboot colors are kinda like in "negative mode" but they're just definitely different from what they should be and I have no acceleration (even if due to .aml enabled it shows 4GB of vRAM).

Is there any way (or hope) for this card to work properly in the future? 

This is just to give you an example:

image.thumb.png.1fc1340be7b5e3c35a81298df7dd469b.png

Edited by Swear

Patch OCLP 

9 minutes ago, Swear said:

I managed to install Ventura on a gigabyte z97x gaming 5 with an i7 4970k, I had to change SMBIOS to install the system successfully and I kept my SSDT-GPU-spoof.aml from Monterey which worked fine since Big Sur or earlier.

I applied OpenCore Legacy Patcher's patches which (if .aml is enabled, otherwise it does not) detects a patch for my GPU, but when I reboot colors are kinda like in "negative mode" but they're just definitely different from what they should be and I have no acceleration (even if due to .aml enabled it shows 4GB of vRAM).

Is there any way (or hope) for this card to work properly in the future? 

This is just to give you an example:

image.thumb.png.1fc1340be7b5e3c35a81298df7dd469b.png

Patch OCLP (OpenCore Legacy Patcher) 

Edited by PG7

Please note that as per OCLP documentation, Ventura patches for legacy GPUs are still in active development. There are known issues that needs to be ironed out; if you encounter issues post root-patching then it's best advised to stay on Monterey until proper support has been implemented.

Edited by aben

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 12:30 AM, PG7 said:

Patch OCLP 

Patch OCLP (OpenCore Legacy Patcher) 

I did, but it didn't work properly. No gou acceleration, only spoofed to the correct gpu card, displaying "negative" graphics output... and that's it

On 12/1/2022 at 6:29 AM, aben said:

Please note that as per OCLP documentation, Ventura patches for legacy GPUs are still in active development. There are known issues that needs to be ironed out; if you encounter issues post root-patching then it's best advised to stay on Monterey until proper support has been implemented.

I went back to Monterey for now. So, just to clarify: this card is listed for support in future OCLP development? Or is it just impossible for hardware reasons for this model? 

Thanks for taking the time to reply and sorry for my delay

34 minutes ago, Swear said:

I did, but it didn't work properly. No gou acceleration, only spoofed to the correct gpu card, displaying "negative" graphics output... and that's it

I went back to Monterey for now. So, just to clarify: this card is listed for support in future OCLP development? Or is it just impossible for hardware reasons for this model? 

Thanks for taking the time to reply and sorry for my delay

Hi, im have one AMD R7 séries and works fine until Monterey. But not supported by Ventura. Im suggest you buy a simple Chinese, very cheap, RX 580 (not SP 2048= is fake ID from 470/570). A real and Good GPU, like Sapphire, Gigabyte, ASUS, used too...it's very nice and smooth with Ventura. I have a little i3 Ice Lake and works like charm, quiet and smooth. I use shikigva=80 boot args. Very smooth and silence!!!! 

Edited by Max.1974

1 hour ago, Swear said:

So, just to clarify: this card is listed for support in future OCLP development? Or is it just impossible for hardware reasons for this model? 

image.png.d6bc4481bfeedaa576c099f41305f968.png

As per the documentation, AMD GCN 1-3 architectures are listed under supported models for legacy GPU support on Ventura. However, it's best advised to refrain from having high expectations on ETA times - could take weeks, months or even years for these patches to exit the beta stage and make to the final stable release.