Ventura P8Z68-V installation failed

MarcomiX

27 posts in this topic

good morning guys
I have an ASUS p8z68-v 16gb ram RX560 Ati Readeon video card with I7 3 generation IVY Bridge which is working great with opencore 0.8.6. and the latest Monterey version but I can't update or do a fresh install of ventura
Can you give me a hand?
Thank you

As @Slice said, Ventura requires a CPU with AVX2.0 instruction set, which Ivy Bridge lacks; therefore lost native support in Ventura, however it is possible to run Ventura on your system with help of CryptexFixup - this Lilu extension allows for Ventura to be installed on CPUs lacking AVX2.0 instruction set.

Edited by aben
OCLP not required for this use-case

perfect... I put the extension in the opencore efi folder but it still crashes during installation, I think a new configuration is needed.. is there a preconfigured efi?

@MarcomiX CryptexFixup.kext is missing from your config.plist under Kernel, without which the kext will not load. Also, ensure you update all Acidanthera kexts to latest releases: Lilu, VirtualSMC and WhateverGreen. Would also suggest to try disabling IntelMausi.kext until installation is complete.

Edited by aben
  • Like 1

AMD Polaris cards are natively supported in Ventura but will lose acceleration when paired with a CPU that lacks AVX2.0 instruction-set; to restore support you will require root patches from OpenCore Legacy Patcher v0.5.0 and above. Get the latest release here: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases/tag/0.5.2

Basic steps:

1. Move downloaded OpenCore Legacy Patcher.app to Applications folder and open GUI from there.
  2. Prepare a fully formatted external drive with capacity of minimum 20 GB for Ventura install media. The installer will be downloaded and created by OCLP app (use "Create macOS Installer" option)
  3. Click "Install OpenCore" option and choose same external drive (which is now the bootable installer media created by OCLP) - this will install OpenCore bootloader to the EFI partition of the bootable drive however this OpenCore install is configured mainly for real Macs and will probably not boot on your system; for this you will need to carefully adjust the OC config to better suit your hardware (ACPI, Drivers, Kernel, PlatformInfo etc..)
  4. Reboot and choose "BOOT EFI" entry at picker -> choose Install macOS Ventura and proceed normally to clean install Ventura to preferred drive/volume.

Alternatively, you can also try installing root patches directly from OpenCore Legacy Patcher app after disabling SIP and AMFI.

Edited by aben
  • Like 1

@MarcomiX Hi, please try these steps:

1. Clean-install Monterey first.
  2. Add CryptexFixup.kext and boot arg: -amd_no_dgpu_accel
  3. Perform upgrade to Ventura via System Settings or Recovery Environment of Ventura install media.
  4. Ensure SIP is Disabled (check csr-active-config)
  5. Ensure SecureBootModel is set to Disabled. (in config.plist)
  6. Run root patches via OCLP app in Ventura.
  7. Remove boot arg: -amd_no_dgpu_accel and reboot.
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 04:57, aben said:

@Marcomix Ciao, prova questi passaggi:

1. Prima installa Monterey in modo pulito.
  2. Aggiungi CryptexFixup.kext e arg di avvio: -amd_no_dgpu_accel
  3. Eseguire l'aggiornamento a Ventura tramite Impostazioni di sistema o Ambiente di ripristino del supporto di installazione di Ventura.
  4. Assicurati che SIP sia disabilitato (controlla csr-active-config)
  5. Assicurarsi che SecureBootModel sia impostato su Disabilitato. (in config.plist)
  6. Esegui le patch root tramite l'app OCLP in Ventura.
  7. Rimuovere boot arg:  -amd_no_dgpu_accel  e riavviare.

Thanks, I'll try this solution today

Do you think it's better to stay with iMac 19.1 or try iMac pro1.1?

2 minutes ago, MarcomiX said:

Grazie, oggi proverò questa soluzione

Pensi che sia meglio rimanere con iMac 19.1 o provare iMac pro 1.1?

MacPro6,1 ?

@MarcomiX Try iMacPro1,1 - should force your Polaris dGPU to handle all GPU workload and rendering. If this SMBIOS is causing boot issues then you may require to disable iGPU (either in BIOS if you have the option or utilize WEG boot-arg: -wegnoigpu)

Edited by aben

40 minutes ago, MarcomiX said:

Thanks, I'll try this solution today

Do you think it's better to stay with iMac 19.1 or try iMac pro1.1?

MacPro6,1 ?

Depends on your signature but it is invisible.

55 minutes ago, MarcomiX said:

I modified my profile
Can you see the signature now?
Thank you

Yes, I see.

All three SMBIOSes are available and not correspond to your hardware closest to iMac14,1. But it is not for Ventura.

I may propose to use iMac19,1 having iGPU as you. You may use it for IQSV for example.

If you don't want iGPU then set iMacPro1,1.

• Like 1

60478821_Screenshot2022-12-03alle15_09_35.thumb.png.19fb32d4eedd2a620aa497400fd7e16a.png1793810183_Screenshot2022-12-03alle15_07_10.thumb.png.2ad1a6913cf68ff5904164f381ee24a5.png60478821_Screenshot2022-12-03alle15_09_35.thumb.png.19fb32d4eedd2a620aa497400fd7e16a.png

Good evening guys
After several tries I was able to do a fresh install
I had to implement the iMacpro1,1 in order to complete the install and patch
I continue with the tests and update you thanks

I think it is mandatory to install on ventura 13.0.1 Kernel_Debug_Kit_13.0_build_22A5365d

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MarcomiX said:

unfortunately done the USB 3 I do not see them from mac but only from windows
I mapped all the ports but nothing...
they seem to support booting from windows but not from mac
thanks anyway

I can propose you have third party USB3 controller which is unsupported in macOS. Chipset Z68 doesn't contain Intel USB3 controller.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 3:25 PM, MarcomiX said:

60478821_Screenshot2022-12-03alle15_09_35.thumb.png.19fb32d4eedd2a620aa497400fd7e16a.png1793810183_Screenshot2022-12-03alle15_07_10.thumb.png.2ad1a6913cf68ff5904164f381ee24a5.png60478821_Screenshot2022-12-03alle15_09_35.thumb.png.19fb32d4eedd2a620aa497400fd7e16a.png

Good evening guys
After several tries I was able to do a fresh install
I had to implement the iMacpro1,1 in order to complete the install and patch
I continue with the tests and update you thanks

I think it is mandatory to install on ventura 13.0.1 Kernel_Debug_Kit_13.0_build_22A5365d

Hi! Could you share your EFI folder, I have the same P8 Z-68-V system.

Thank you!