USB-C 5bay drivecase, only one drive recognised

ApexDE

3 posts in this topic

Hello!

cause of my old Motherboard i am still on Catalina (latest plus latest security fixes)

i am still quite happy with it, even if it‘s getting old. Updating to Big Sur is no option cause of components which wouldn’t work anymore.

To my problem:

I have a asmedia 1142 USB-C PCIe Card which worked really good over the last years out-of-the-box with unpatched USB kexts or additional kexts.

I recently bought a 5bay USB-C Drivecase Vendor Icy-Box which offers five independent slots for sata drives (‎IB-3805-C31)

Problem is, that Catalina only recognises the one at the case bottom, all the other 4 slots above are not.

It must be some Catalina issue, as the case is supposed to work with macOS and it does work normal when i boot a gparted-live-linux. All drives are recognised under Linux.

Has anyone a idea if there is a patch for that or which kext i have a closer look?

dmesg shows NOTHING when i switch on one of the other drives, there are no error messages or whatsoever. MacOS ignores the other four driveslots completely.

Thanks for any hints, Dominique

Edited by ApexDE

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the same issue with ICyBox 4-bay enclosure. However, when I plug it in to usb3.1 gen1 port it detects all drives just fine. The problem is with USB3.1gen2 port on ASM3142 built in controller.

Have you found the solution to your problem?

Thanks

16 hours ago, chopperp1 said:

Hi,

I have the same issue with ICyBox 4-bay enclosure. However, when I plug it in to usb3.1 gen1 port it detects all drives just fine. The problem is with USB3.1gen2 port on ASM3142 built in controller.

Have you found the solution to your problem?

Thanks

hi, no i didn‘t find a solution other than using a different USB Card that doesn‘t have a asmedia chip.

it seems to be a driver issue with the asmedia chip, cause booting a live linux shows all drives on the asmedia ports. I guess there is no solution except apple is fixing this bug.

I am using the case on a Mac mini M1 now and it is working as expected. So, mini M1 is safe to use with the case too ;) 

greetings

Edited by ApexDE