Help with Ventura

loganMac

33 posts in this topic

You need OC to install and clover is not supported, but clover is bootable.

After you successfully installed root patch with OC
Then you can boot with clover.

Edited by naiclub

I think recent Clover releases can install and use Ventura. As 5150, used by @loganMac.

But you are talking about SandyBridge that has lost support for Ventura. You must set a SMBIOS model supported by Ventura, I guess that you have done so.

I see CrytexpFixup, are you using also config.plist patches extracted from OCLP?

I see that you have also added -crypt_force_avx in boot args.

Maybe it's time to try to build an OpenCore EFI.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help.  Last night I read OC guide from dortania's github and view youtube video of Mr Macintosh.  Per my system, do I use  OpenCore-Patcher-GUI.app or OpenCore-Install-Guide?

Attach is my EFI I created last night using OpenCore-Install-Guide. Hope some can review config.plist if it's good.  Is VT1705 the same as VT1705S? Thank you.

Screenshot inside USB

Edited by loganMac

Here's my new EFI.  When booting from USB, I'm stuck at

00:000 00:000 OC: Failed to bootstrap SB NVRAM values - Invalid Parameter

Not sure what I need to do.  I google but nothing.

Thanks!

EFI.zip

Edited by loganMac
reupload efi

after installing Opencore you need to use the ocvalidate utility located in the utilities folder of your Opencore download. not sure which version you used but always use the latest release found here:

https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=OpenCorePkg&viewall=true

using the appropriate Opencore validate tool shows what may be preventing you from booting or having a valid config. plugging your config file in yielded:

image.thumb.png.63068c5aae20a2cafb5a81e937379fc3.png

once you have a successful booting Opencore monterey install then you can move onto upgrading to ventura 😅

Edited by stagtrader
  • Thanks 1

@stagtrader I used 0.8.5 from acidanthera's github but follow dortania's guide.  Once home, I will use dortania OC 0.8.6. and his's Kext.  I will clear CMOS just in case because I have Clover Bootloader.  I my bios, I saw 2 Mac OSx, OpenCore and my 2 SSD. 

Untitled.jpg.9c28a7c63718bbcc37c9378bc2a6f2ad.jpg

Edited by loganMac

@loganMac i would suggest cloning (use CCC with Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant option enabled) your current monterey install with clover & then unplugging it. that way if anything goes wrong you can still boot to your original drive. then i would begin experimenting with Opencore on the cloned drive & yes you will want to remove all traces of clover nvram from your newly cloned drive.

you could also use 2 usb drives one with your original clover & another with OC if cloning isn't an option.

Edited by stagtrader

@miliuco Does this mean I don't need to clear CMOS (3-pin and battery removed)? Is BridgeOSHardwareModel need to stay in config.plist even after post installation? I'm planning to do clean installation.  Eager to go home and test it out lol.

Thanks to both of you.

@loganMac

No, clear CMOS on the board only if it's required when usual methods (sudo nvram -c in Terminal or ResetNVRAM in the OC picker) do not work.

Adding BridgeOSHardwareModel in the NVRAM delete keys usually fixes the  Failed to bootstrap SB NVRAM values - Invalid Parameter error.

Edited by miliuco
  • Thanks 1

I was able to do clean monterey installation using OC 0.8.6. All work for my pc.
Now I’m using the same EFI folder. Install a clean Ventura. Installation done and pc boot from usb then OC start running internal drive. At this point, It's been boot looping for the last 10min.  Maybe I need to disabled AvoidRuntimeDefrag?

EFI (2).zip

Edited by loganMac
add EFI folder for review

@loganMac

No, don't disable AvoidRuntimeDefrag.

I think your EFI lacks patches for SkyLake, they can be got from OCLP config.plist but I don't know which patches are suitable ones. And they are for OC, not Clover. You need somebody with more skills about this.

35 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@loganMac

No, don't disable AvoidRuntimeDefrag.

I think your EFI lacks patches for SkyLake, they can be got from OCLP config.plist but I don't know which patches are suitable ones. And they are for OC, not Clover. You need somebody with more skills about this.

I'm using OC, not Clover.

@loganMac you need the CryptexFixup.kext in order to boot Ventura its missing from the above efi folder you posted.

you will need to add these to your boot arguments

'-cryptbeta'

'-amd_no_dgpu_accel'

'amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1' (Ventura specific as amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 only works in Monterey & below)

you will also most likely need NoAVXFSCompressionTypeZlib-AVXpel.kext in order to boot Ventura if your CPU is pre-Sandy.

also disable secure boot in order to apply the OCLP Root Patch. once patched you can remove '-amd_no_dgpu_accel' from your boot arguments 😅

you may also need to reinstall Ventura with the above info if your Preboot is not over 4GB+

image.png.24d39e936ce5635fbcdf2b28f2ebef07.png

Edited by stagtrader
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Finally got Ventura fully working. I don’t need NoAVXFSCompressionTypeZlib.Kext because it caused blackscreen. 

for OCLP root patch, doing this will not be able to install patch., Misc—> Security—> SecureBootModel—>Disabled.  I had to edit in NVRAM and change from 00000000 to 03080000 to disable SIP then I can install the patch. 

Thank you at @stagtrader and @miliuco

• Like 3

Another question for OpenCore boot menu.  I have 3 SSD. Each SSD only install one operation system.  Since I have extra unused SSD, just in case one (MacOS) is acting up and I have other SSD to use.

SSD 1 Windows 11

SSD 2 Monterey

SSD 3 Ventura

When only 2 SSD, OC don't show EFI but when I have 3 SSD, EFI drive show on OC menu.  How can I hide EFI drive from showing in OC Menu? See attached.

https://imgur.com/a/6qoeVmU

6 hours ago, loganMac said:

Another question for OpenCore boot menu.  I have 3 SSD. Each SSD only install one operation system.  Since I have extra unused SSD, just in case one (MacOS) is acting up and I have other SSD to use.

SSD 1 Windows 11

SSD 2 Monterey

SSD 3 Ventura

When only 2 SSD, OC don't show EFI but when I have 3 SSD, EFI drive show on OC menu.  How can I hide EFI drive from showing in OC Menu? See attached.

https://imgur.com/a/6qoeVmU

Spoiler

515529590_2565-11-0616_07_56.thumb.png.bb845848107e89f99fe8825c7dfdc222.png

Try this selection.

• Thanks 1

@loganMac  @naiclub

The proposed ScanPolicy hides Windows disk. Not good for loganmac. 
The EFI entry comes from the not booting macOS disk. OpenCore hides itself (macOS boot disk hides its EFI) but shows other macOS EFIs. This can‘t be skipped in my opinion. 

Edited by miliuco
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@loganMac  @naiclub

The proposed ScanPolicy hides Windows disk. Not good for loganmac. 
The EFI entry comes from the not booting macOS disk. OpenCore hides itself (macOS boot disk hides its EFI) but shows other macOS EFIs. This can be skipped in my opinion. 

So that mean, I can't hide it? per MountEFI, it came from Monterey - Data (disk4s1).  Not a big deal having an extra drive but if it's "hide-able"  would be great. More cleaner look :) 

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 8.56.06 AM.png

10 minutes ago, loganMac said:

หมายความว่าฉันไม่สามารถซ่อนมันได้? ตาม MountEFI มันมาจาก Monterey - Data (disk4s1) ไม่ใช่เรื่องใหญ่ที่จะมีไดรฟ์พิเศษ แต่ถ้า "ซ่อนได้" จะดีมาก ดูสะอาดตาขึ้น:) 

สกรีนช็อต 2022-11-06 เวลา 8.56.06 AM.png

Spoiler

IMG20221106205124.thumb.jpg.4f13cc34e129b5f15a72aabb2b31a937.jpg