Clirification Needed about wifi adapter bcm94360ng and HP Elitedesk 800 G5 mini

Stefano Pugliese

11 posts in this topic

Hi all
i am waiting for the hp 800 g5 mini to arrive
i would like to buy the bcm94360ng card for wifi/BT
but in the vendor warnings of the card I read not compatible with HP PCs
In a topic of this forum I read that they suggest this card, but I want to be sure that it works correctly before buying it

Thank for help

Edited by Stefano Pugliese

2 hours ago, Stefano Pugliese said:

Hi all
i am waiting for the hp 800 g5 mini to arrive
i would like to buy the bcm94360ng card for wifi/BT
but in the vendor warnings of the card I read not compatible with HP PCs
In a topic of this forum I read that they suggest this card, but I want to be sure that it works correctly before buying it

Thank for help

The bcm94360ng card is fully compatible with the HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini and does not require any adapters.  See this thread.  I would recommend reading the thread and known issues since the card is compatible but not perfect.  It works well for my purposes, but your mileage may very.

Also, you may want to post your HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini questions in the thread where other owners of the rig will be more likely to see your questions.  You're going to love it.

EDIT: @Stefano Pugliese I see that this post is in the "New Users Lounge" which probably means that you can't yet post in this thread.  If that's the case, welcome aboard!

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deeveedee said:

The bcm94360ng card is fully compatible with the HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini and does not require any adapters.  See this thread.  I would recommend reading the thread and known issues since the card is compatible but not perfect.  It works well for my purposes, but your mileage may very.

Also, you may want to post your HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini questions in the thread where other owners of the rig will be more likely to see your questions.  You're going to love it.

EDIT: @Stefano Pugliese I see that this post is in the "New Users Lounge" which probably means that you can't yet post in this thread.  If that's the case, welcome aboard!

I'm waiting to become a "user" to post on the specific thread
I will read "known issues" to understand what you mean about "not perfect"

@Stefano Pugliese just go for it! I have tested my HP EliteDesk G4 Mini with this card and it works without any kexts or modifications. The only downside for me is that I achieve faster network speed when using Intel wifi/bt card. Since I am not an iPhone/iPad user I don't need Airdrop, sidecar, continuity etc. so I stick with the Intel card. Other than that the card is fully functional and easy to use with other devices from the Apple ecosystem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jazzoo said:

@Stefano Pugliese just go for it! I have tested my HP EliteDesk G4 Mini with this card and it works without any kexts or modifications. The only downside for me is that I achieve faster network speed when using Intel wifi/bt card. Since I am not an iPhone/iPad user I don't need Airdrop, sidecar, continuity etc. so I stick with the Intel card. Other than that the card is fully functional and easy to use with other devices from the Apple ecosystem.

Ok thank You
Wich intel wifi card do you have onboard ? any wifi or BT problems ?

10 hours ago, Stefano Pugliese said:

@deeveedee Do you think it's better to start from scratch or to use your EFI folder and correct eventually issues ?

That depends on what you mean by "better."  

The solution I posted here (that I first started in May 2020) is the result of many hours of research and refinement.  Many of those hours were spent discovering things that are well known and documented now or overcoming bootloader and kext bugs that have been fixed now, so you can probably follow the Dortania guide (for Open Core) or the Clover Guide (for Clover) and the Intel iGPU Patching Guide to create your own hack "from scratch."  That will certainly give you a significant sense of accomplishment and pride in that it is your own work (to which I can relate).

If your goal is to maximize your learning and your sense of accomplishment, start from scratch and don't "cheat" by looking at my solution.  If you want the easy route, start with my EFI attached here, follow my instructions here, review known issues here, and then customize the EFI to your liking.  You could also combine the two approaches by starting from scratch and referring to my thread for hints.  As with any hack, there is more than one way to achieve a fully working hack, so if you do start from scratch without using my solution, you may end up with a different approach that still works well.

However you decide to hack your rig, you'll have access (if you need it) to lots of assistance in this excellent forum.

EDIT: One additional thought... if, when seeking assistance, you do post your questions (along with your EFI) in this thread, it will be much easier for me and others to help you if your solution closely resembles what is already documented in this thread.  In my own selfish opinion, if you do ask for assistance, I'll be in a much better position to help if you start with my solution.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

@Stefano Pugliese Currently I am using Intel 8265NGW. Both wireless and bluetooth works correctly. I had only one issue with the bluetooth. I was not able to connect my wireless mouse Steelseries Wireless 3. Other than that all bluetooth audio devices work pretty well. You can use different Intel card such as Intel AC 7260 , 8260, they also work well. Keep in mind that newer Intel cards like Intel 9560 are equiped with Bluetooth 5.x and personally I didn't have success with enabling the bluetooth. Some people claim that they have it working but I cannot guarantee if it's stable or working at all so may be stick with bluetooth 4.x cards.

Edited by Jazzoo

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2022 at 12:54 PM, Jazzoo said:

@Stefano Pugliese Currently I am using Intel 8265NGW. Both wireless and bluetooth works correctly. I had only one issue with the bluetooth. I was not able to connect my wireless mouse Steelseries Wireless 3. Other than that all bluetooth audio devices work pretty well. You can use different Intel card such as Intel AC 7260 , 8260, they also work well. Keep in mind that newer Intel cards like Intel 9560 are equiped with Bluetooth 5.x and personally I didn't have success with enabling the bluetooth. Some people claim that they have it working but I cannot guarantee if it's stable or working at all so may be stick with bluetooth 4.x cards.

So the Intel 8265NGW works for you without additional drivers or kext? I thought all the Intel options needed those special Intel drivers.

I need to order a wifi card for this G5 mini I have. I saw a few threads where you mentioned using this card and the BCM card.

I saw you mentioned in one thread that you prefer the BCM. Unfortunately I can't reply to that thread.

I don't have MacOS installed yet, I was planning to get my hardware situated and tested in Windows before installing MacOS dual boot.

I ordered an AX200NGW on eBay, and was planning to see how the Intel fix solution worked. And then order a BCM if the AX200 didn't suit my needs, and move the AX200 to my G3 Mini.

However when installing the AX200 last night, I damaged one of my antenna wires.

So now, I don't want to do any extra swaps, I just want to order the best option and install it once and be done.

At this point, with any further experience you have, would you recommend the 8265NGW or the BCM?

14 hours ago, Jonah Henry said:

So the Intel 8265NGW works for you without additional drivers or kext? I thought all the Intel options needed those special Intel drivers.

ALL intel cards do need additional kexts in order to work.

15 hours ago, Jonah Henry said:

I saw you mentioned in one thread that you prefer the BCM. Unfortunately I can't reply to that thread.

BCM works natively + you have airdrop, sidecar, handoff etc.

I ordered an AX200NGW on eBay, and was planning to see how the Intel fix solution worked. And then order a BCM if the AX200 didn't suit my needs, and move the AX200 to my G3 Mini.

However when installing the AX200 last night, I damaged one of my antenna wires.

So now, I don't want to do any extra swaps, I just want to order the best option and install it once and be done.

You can replace your antenna wires (depends on your skills but it's realtively easy) for less than 20$. You can still use your Intel card since it's compatible according to OpenIntelWireless project. Just put the appropriate kexts.

At this point, with any further experience you have, would you recommend the 8265NGW or the BCM?

It's really up to you. Pros and cons for both cards are mentioned already in this thread. Currently I am using Intel 8265NGW in my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 and BCM94360NG in my Dell Latitude 7490. I am glad to help if you need any additional information. Good luck!