Will the proper hardware let me use non-safe mode?

3 posts in this topic

I'm planning to buy the mobo in this article:

http://www.osx86.theplaceforitall.com/howto/

Which is the:

ASRock 775Dual-915GL Micro ATX Intel Motherboard because it is supposedly one of the closest we can get to the developer boards.

It has the chipset, the Realtek ALC850 sound board, and the Realtek 8100C LAN port.

And of course I'm going to buy an intel processor with sse3 to go along with it. I plan to use the 1gb of ram, hard drives, etc that are in my old box to run osx86.

I am installing off the general install DVD, not the vmware image.

I have 2 questions:

1. Will osx86 run just as the developer's boxes? As in: graphics/resolution working fine (with quartz extreme and core graphics), and be able to boot normally without having to enter in the -x for safe mode every time?

2. I'm trying to decide between a Celeron D and a Pentium 4 processor. I know the p4's have a bigger l2 cache which = more performance, but I'm trying to save as much money as I can... I plan to do alot of iMovie/iDVD which I guess I can wait a bit for rendering (as long as I can do some browsing, etc at the same time)

I guess I want close to a G5's performace at least (since I dont want to drop $2000+ on a powermac g5), and I dont know how that stands with the way pc's are setup. I've heard osx on a pc just screams over mac platforms, but I'm sure there are alot of other factors as well.

Thanks for the help!

1. Yes

2. Celeron D 331 or 336 (both 64 bits EMT enabled)

please read the $199 thread for more info

(it is more like $250 to $300 if you do some minor upgrades such as more memory, HD, but still a small price)

So I remember when running iDVD, it gave me a message saying "compatible hardware not found" or something like that, will this mobo/cpu combo let me run imovie and iDVD perfectly?