Problem erasing/initializing 1TB SSD Drive on X99/Monterey setup (HP Z840)

BillDH2k

26 posts in this topic

I have successfully setup a HP Z840 workstation running Monterey 12.6 using OC 084. But I run into a weird issue trying to use a Sandisk 1TB SSD drive on the regular Sata (6Gb/s) port: the drive can not be erased/initialized (see attached screen shot). The drive was previously cleaned (i.e. no partitions/no data exist) before placed on this machine. 

I've concluded that the problem is not the drive itself, since it runs perfectly fine on another system (Z440/Monterey, the little brother of Z840, same C612 chip/Sata port, single CPU instead of dual CPUs). It also runs fine if attached to the SAS ports on the same Z840 unit. Now, another 1TB Samsung Evo 840 drive, also runs OK without any issue.

If I initialize the drive on the Z440/Monterey and bring the drive over to the Z840, the drive is still reported as un-initialized. So it seems to be specific to the Z840, but I couldn't figure out why and a fix, as both Z440 and Z820 has identical Sata ports.

The device-id for the regular Sata port is (8086, 8d02). The other sSata port (not used) is (8086, 8d62). Monterey picked them up as "generic AHCI Controller, 6Gb/s, AHCI 1.30 Supported". See 2nd attached screen shot (using the same Sandisk drive, fully working on the Z440).

Anyone has any idea what was going one here? Do I miss a specific kext, similar to "CtlnaAHCIPort.kext"?

Thanks!

DH 

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 5.41.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 10.06.07 PM.png

Edited by Bill Huang
typo

Is It APFS?

If So Erase Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB Media

( Yours Is Probably Different ), But You've Got The Idea ( I Hope)

Erase as ExFat Then Erase With Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

You Probably Can Make Several Partitions, Depends On What You Want

You Should Be Good To Go ( I Hope!!)

10 hours ago, STLVNUB said:

Is It APFS?

If So Erase Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB Media

( Yours Is Probably Different ), But You've Got The Idea ( I Hope)

Erase as ExFat Then Erase With Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

You Probably Can Make Several Partitions, Depends On What You Want

You Should Be Good To Go ( I Hope!!)

Tried your suggestion to erase the drive as ExFat, but still failed, regardless what format I specified (even tried as Master Boot Record). The system Sata port must have not recognized/configured the drive properly, in this particular case. 

Edited by Bill Huang
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • I have a z840, using EFI you published on github, and successfully installed ventura13.4, but as you said, the sleep and wake function is not normal, may I ask whether this problem has been solved now? Also, if I upgrade to sonoma, which network card will work with WIFI and Bluetooth? (I currently use the fenvi t919.)
  • Another problem is that I have opened the log option 67 in debug, but the generated logs are only related to APPL, and there are no other logs. Which setting should I adjust to get a complete log? 
  • 1706958004789..thumb.jpg.5d5ad9910eb4c79486e94e04cf567da5.jpg

My configuration: xeon2699av4*2/128g/Sapphire rx590 8g/wd sn750 1g

Thank you!

43 minutes ago, lscn said:

By the way, have you successfully turned off the cfg lock of z840? I cannot find the cfg lock using uefitool, but verifyms2r detects that there is a lock.

Your bios is in "exe" format, how can you use UEFITool?

2 hours ago, pitrysha said:

Your bios is in "exe" format, how can you use UEFITool?

• Anyway, thanks for your reply!
  • But I'm not quite sure what does "bios is in exe format" mean? I used the bios downloaded from the official website of HP, which is in.ROM format. I also extracted the same bios under the Windows system with the tool, but in both ROMs, I could not use uefitool to find the unicode of CFG Lock, or the field below the GUI.

32 minutes ago, lscn said:
  • Anyway, thanks for your reply!
  • But I'm not quite sure what does "bios is in exe format" mean? I used the bios downloaded from the official website of HP, which is in.ROM format. I also extracted the same bios under the Windows system with the tool, but in both ROMs, I could not use uefitool to find the unicode of CFG Lock, or the field below the GUI.

Can you show me bios.rom?

This is the ROM I downloaded from the official website and the extract kit I used in Windows10. Thank you!

Just now, pitrysha said:

Can you show me bios.rom?

This is the ROM I downloaded from the official website. Thank you!M60_0261.BIN

Just now, lscn said:

This is the ROM I downloaded from the official website and the extract kit I used in Windows10. Thank you!

This is the extraction kit I use in Windows10.cfgtools.7z

1 hour ago, lscn said:

This is the extraction kit I use in Windows10.cfgtools.7z

Bios HP is significantly different from the bios of other boards.

Is there any point in fiddling around if there is "AppleXcpmCfgLock"

2 hours ago, pitrysha said:

Bios HP is significantly different from the bios of other boards.

Is there any point in fiddling around if there is "AppleXcpmCfgLock"

I may recommend set this quirk to true whatever BIOS has locked.

1 hour ago, Slice said:

I may recommend set this quirk to true whatever BIOS has locked.

OpenCore documentation says that if msr is unlocked in bios then it is not advisable to use "AppleXcpmCfgLock

55 minutes ago, pitrysha said:

OpenCore documentation says that if msr is unlocked in bios then it is not advisable to use "AppleXcpmCfgLock

Nonsense. If it is not advisable by Acidanthera then it is advisable by me.

There is no CFG Lock in your bios. There is MSR Lock. I don’t know if it’s possible to use OpenCore’s recommendations for these cases to unlock.

2024-02-04.png

Even if you have unlocked 0xE2 in BIOS which controls C-state power management you should not use macOS C-state power management as it written for real Macs having SMC-controller but not for hackintosh where C-states power management is controlled by other chips and other rules. OEM locked the option because other C-states is not possible in the hardware. No macOS rules! 

So the quirk AppleXcpmCfgLock is not for real work. It is only to prevent kernel crashes because of macOS wants to write to 0xE2 which is not possible and not desired.

7 hours ago, pitrysha said:

There is no CFG Lock in your bios. There is MSR Lock. I don’t know if it’s possible to use OpenCore’s recommendations for these cases to unlock.

2024-02-04.png

So my job ends at step (b) :)

5 hours ago, Slice said:

Even if you have unlocked 0xE2 in BIOS which controls C-state power management you should not use macOS C-state power management as it written for real Macs having SMC-controller but not for hackintosh where C-states power management is controlled by other chips and other rules. OEM locked the option because other C-states is not possible in the hardware. No macOS rules! 

So the quirk AppleXcpmCfgLock is not for real work. It is only to prevent kernel crashes because of macOS wants to write to 0xE2 which is not possible and not desired.

• I get it. It just prevents crashes, not actually writes to the register. I wonder if this situation will affect power management? I'm referring to the inability to write to registers. My ventura 13.4 cannot wake up after sleep, is this related?

More related is P-states PowerManagement. But there are many factors influences on wake up or on successfully sleep. Good motherboard is the main factor.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:58 AM, BillDH2k said:

@lscn HP Zx40 BIOS does not expose access to CONFIG LOCK. So "AppleXcpmCfgLock" must be set "True".

Thank you! I used the EFI you posted on github exactly as it was. The system can sleep, but it cannot wake up. I successfully installed ventura and decided to stick with this system for a long time. If the fenvi t919 has a perfect drive solution in the future, I will consider upgrading the system to sonoma. Also, have you ever used HP pcie Adapter card 742006-002? Do you know the screw model of the three screw holes inside?mmexport1707322587241.thumb.jpg.6fd6698c825c0639f8ffdef099122dfb.jpg