AMD RX 6600 on macOS 12 / 13: GeekBench 5 (GB5) scores with different settings (agdpmod=pikera, Henbury patch, softPowerPlayTable)

miliuco

26 posts in this topic

@viorel @D3v1L and other users have commented on the forum about the RX 6600 (XT) cards, their work in Monterey or Ventura and the performance they offer depending on the configuration applied.

Some of us were unable to use Ventura with SMBIOS other than iMac, MacPro and iMacPro models led to black screen. @viorel commented that it was necessary to put in config.plist the patch that loads the Henbury framebuffer which, in theory, is the specific of these cards although by default they load the Radeon framebuffer (with which they seem to work well). This patch is the one that fixed the problem that cards of this family had when Monterey 12.3 was released.
It is a code snippet added in DevicesProperties applied to the PCI path of the AMD card:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>@0,name</key>
                <string>ATY,Henbury</string>
                <key>@1,name</key>
                <key>@2,name</key>
                <key>@3,name</key>
            </dict>

This forces the load of the Henbury framebuffer. With this change, we can use MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS on Ventura.

Here it must be said that some users have commented that, on Ventura, only 1 DP port (the closest to the motherboard) and the HDMI port work but, in my case, with this change the 4 ports of the card seem to work.

We have seen that there are 2 side effects of this change:

• Zero RPM option is disabled, fans are always spinning and temperature is approximately 10-15º lower
  • scores on GB5 drop significantly.

I've tried a RX 6600 with 3 different settings, in Monterey and Ventura, measuring the benchmark scores in GB5. As you can see, GB5 scores go down clearly with some of the configurations.

WhateverGreen + agdpmod=pikera

This is the simplest option and the most used:

• MacPro or iMacPro SMBIOS go to black screen in Ventura (iMac SMBIOS works fine)
  • it loads Radeon framebuffer
  • GB5 scores are between 76000 - 84000
  • card temperature is 10-15º higher than Windows on the same system (caused by Zero RPM, default setting that keeps the fans stopped below 60º).

WhateverGreen + agdpmod=pikera + Henbury patch

Before applying it, you have to be sure of the PCI path to your RX 6600 card, you can see it in Hackintool or with gfxutil in Terminal:

• MacPro or iMacPro or iMac SMBIOS work fine in Ventura
  • it loads Henbury framebuffer
  • GB5 scores are between 62000 - 66000
  • card temperature drops 10-15º because Zero RPM stops being active and fans spin all the time although the noise is almost inaudible.

WhateverGreen + agdpmod=pikera + softPowerPlayTable (sPPT)

This option requires more effort because you have to get the sPPT on Windows to include it in OpenCore in the same way as the Henbury patch. You can see how to do it here. With sPPT:

• MacPro or iMacPro or iMac SMBIOS work fine in Ventura
  • it loads Radeon framebuffer
  • GB5 scores are between 74000 - 80000
  • card temperature drops 10-15º because Zero RPM stops being active and fans spin all the time although the noise is almost inaudible.

Note 1: On the other hand, although the score in GB5 is lower in 2 settings, subjective perception of graphic performance in daily use of macOS is the same in all 3 modes. I don't do video editing or run programs that require high graphic load and macOS seems to work just as well with any of the 3 configurations.

Note 2: Unigine Valley is a very demanding graphical benchmark that uses OpenCL, not Metal. The score obtained with this test is the same in all 3 configurations.

Note 3: The text is valid for the RX 6600 XT model, the only difference is that the scores in GB5 are 6-8% higher.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 7

every perfect. btw if ALL framebuffer for ALL of the port's are the same (like in this case), only @0 name inject is needed. 🙂 

for Note 1, i use and work with DaVinci and other video software and...yes...much differences (for this i use it only with Monterey 12.5)

"the strange things" ...MacPro have (now) W6600X* (commercial "server" name for 6600...) other than 6800/6900/6800x2 ...so....why it didn't recognize it with correct FB oob? Uhmmm uhm uhm xD 

*  on MP7,1 they work like a charm without WEG and, also, without his bootarg agdpmod=pikera

btw if i inject "ATY,RadeonFramebuffer" , desktop arrive but they freeze (but not the mouse)... uhm btw...is second alpha/beta...so...maybe we only need to waiting 🙂 

Edited by D3v1L
  • Like 2

@D3v1L

Ok, I didn't know about setting only @name instead of 4 outputs. Thanks.

I was supposing that, under heavy load, it is as you say and performance differences exist. 

I have to try MacPro SMBIOS without WEG and boot args, never tried before without them.

Edited by miliuco

2 hours ago, miliuco said:

@D3v1L

Ok, I didn't know about setting only @name instead of 4 outputs. Thanks.

I was supposing that, under heavy load, it is as you say and performance differences exist. 

I have to try MacPro SMBIOS without WEG and boot args, never tried before without them.

Only for the first 'couse the next are see like children output..and take from father 🙂 (set all 4 if need 2/3/4 different framebuffer for each port) 🙂 

Export 57min 8k movie from DaVinci

Ventura with inject 37min

Monterey with inject 'bout the same 36min

Monterey w/o inject 'bout 28min

(15 min with my other model but LoL with W6800X Duo and Xeon ...not with Coffee Lake and RX6600XT ahah)

WEG not needed 'coz are natively supported by MacPro7,1 like RX580 (my old one) as in MacPro7,1 and in iMacPro1,1

Try it 😉 😄 

Edited by D3v1L
  • Thanks 1

but...the funny things, without inject xD LoL :

image.thumb.png.04e579328ad6c82911422a32d76f887b.png

charge ATY,RadeonFramebuffer but...is ATY,Henbury 

I love Hackintosh...like hell xD LoL

need to investigate... (ok i know i know... Ventura it work with iMac, it work with MacPro with inject...but hey...i'm the boss of my hack, not vice-versa! i bought it, i paid it, i give it 220v for work, i'm da boss! xD )

• Like 1

uhm...some strange ...

seems culprit is "AGPM" ... 

iMac19.1 (in my case for CL) have its for gfx0 name

iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 have its for gpu ID ...

know AGPM is only "power management side" but...maybe...

ok ok maybe i'm tired so...ok... xD

Edited by D3v1L
  • Like 1

My 6600 xt With smbios iMacPro1,1 only HDMI and 1 DP works. with smbios MacPro7,1 all port work fine. doesn't matter with veg or henbury

PS

I managed to get all DP to work , reinstalled monterey + WEG+generic fraimbuffer+bootarg agdpmod=pikera

Edited by viorel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, viorel said:

My 6600 xt With smbios iMacPro1,1 only HDMI and 1 DP works. with smbios MacPro7,1 all port work fine. doesn't matter with veg or henbury

iMacPro1,1 need mapping port and it's ok...btw your 6600 works in Ventura without Henbury injected? (with or without WEG is normal that is works...)

Do you think your guide works for this Graphics card AMD Radeon Pro W6400

Its a card base `AMD RDNA2`  Architecture,  It is `Navi 24 XL` not 21 or 23

I would like to order it for my HP Prodesk 600 G1, I already have a Visiontek Radeon RX 560 which works perfectly in Ventura 13

but I would very much like to know if this card works it would be great for low profile graphics card based PC users 

Thanks for the guide

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, D3v1L said:

iMacPro1,1 need mapping port and it's ok...btw your 6600 works in Ventura without Henbury injected? (with or without WEG is normal that is works...)

My is sapphire Nitro+ 6600 xt and without Henbury injected do not work in ventura. 

23 minutes ago, viorel said:

My is sapphire Nitro+ 6600 xt and without Henbury injected do not work in ventura. 

ouch ok...pfiu xD so exactly like us xD LoL ...for about 10 sec mi heart bump ahahha LoL

• Haha 1

@miliuco edit First post on "WhateverGreen + agdpmod=pikera + softPowerPlayTable (sPPT)" ...add "+ Henbury patch" or put work great on Monterey with radeonframebuffer instead Ventura eheh 😅😅😅 lol

Edited by D3v1L
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

@D3v1L @viorel @rafale77 and others. This is with RX 6600 XT.

Tried Monterey and Ventura DP3 with this settings:

• Henbury patch removed from deviceProperties
  • softPowerPlayTable string added in DeviceProperties
  • WhateverGreen disabled
  • agdpmod=pikera boot-arg deleted
  • iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS (iGPU disabled in BIOS).

In this way, all seems to work fine and:

• GeekBench 5 scores are clearly higher than the ones with Henbury patch
  • GeekBench 5 scores are slightly higher than the ones with WEG and iMac19,1 SMBIOS without Henbury patch on Monterey or Ventura
  • Zero RPM stops working so temps are lower.

softPowerPlayTable is a harder way than Henbury patch but I think it's a way to have Ventura with iMacPro or MacPro without dropping GB 5 scores.

Here are GB 5 recent scores, all of them on iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 + no WEG + no agdpmod + softPPT + Ventura DP3:

Spoiler

weg-no.thumb.png.71f71d1e3b8af42fdca875158cafda2c.png

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@miliuco, I would speculate that your performance gain is coming from the soft PowerPlayTable alone. I doubt it has anything to do with the SMBIOS switching or removing WEG.

I have had similar experience with my WX4100 as I posted in your corresponding thread.

Running without WEG and only with property injections is interesting. I also tried it but it didn't quite work for me. Without WEG, running with two GPU would require doing ACPI renaming patches. (i.e GFX0->IGPU and PEGP->GFX0)

"Henbury" is not a patch per say, it is a named AMD framebuffer which are preset device properties into the Apple/AMD driver (X6000). If you don't inject a named frambuffer, the driver will use a generic/default framebuffer "RadeonFrambuffer" which would have a lot of device properties missing, amongst which the power profile. This was one of the benefits of Radeonboost.kext... Very likely also that Henbury is not using the right power table for your cards.

Not sure what Ventura changed... I would personally stick with the iMac SMBIOS

• Like 1

@rafale77

I know Henbury is not really a patch but a lot of people are using this name and it is already a habit for me.

You are right: softPPT sets Radeon framebuffer, not Henbury. A config.plist with only WEG + agdpmod boot-arg also sets Radeon FB, as I've been working for the past months.

What surprises me is that GB 5 scores are clearly higher with softPPT (Radeon FB) than injecting Henbury FB. Probably Radeon FB lacks power management properties as you say but 6600 XT power consumption is 12W at idle and below 100W when running GB 5, so aceptable numbers.

Anyway, we have now different ways to work with these AMD cards in macOS.

• Like 1

@miliuco,

If you want to know what the framebuffer injects, you can go into the driver's framebuffer kext:

S/L/E/AMDRadeonX6000Frambuffer.kext and look into the info.plist inside the kext.

Here is the Henbury framebuffer in question. (You will find the other named framebuffers for the X6000 series there too)

image.thumb.png.a23494d5105bb592eb256d63e70547a0.png

And at the very end of that file you will find the default properties and configs injected to all framebuffer if not overriden by the named configs. This is how I figured out what was missing from using the generic AMDFramebuffer.

• Like 1

uhm i try with teamviewer... all ok, MP7,1 without henbury start and no freeze at all. GB is ok, like 97/98k (i try with other machine...lol 197k ahah ok ok another story xD ) btw, now i try rendering

so, 

no injection

no weg (never used before)

no patch for zerorpm 

no agdpmod pikera (obviusely...without weg is not needed)

Edited by D3v1L
  • Like 1