How to install the Nawcom's ModCD...

12 posts in this topic

Hello.

I'm trying to virtualize MacOS Snow Leopard on FreeBSD + bhyve. There is a tool from years and years ago known as Nawcom's ModCD, originally intended for booting Snow Leopard 10.6 and it seems to have a build of Chameleon that actually works without the Penryn flag. As u probably know,bhyve does not support it,so maybe this tool is the only chance to virtualize MacOS with bhyve. I've found 2 tutorials about how to install the Nawcom's ModCD here :

https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/11447-nawcoms-modcd-modusb/

and here :

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288474-simple-steps-to-amd-hackintosh-stable-everything-working/

On these websites,they say :

OSX86_ModCD-032311-151021.zip -> rename from .zip to .iso and burn the image to a CD/DVD (can be done from Windows or Linux)

burn nawcom MODCD : download and burn the nawcom MODCD 0.3.2 .iso to optical disc

Ok. My problem is that I haven't any optical disc at the moment. You know,the optical disks are also going out of business. So,I've used Balena Etcher and I tried to "burn" the iso image to an USB stick,but unfortunately it said that it is not bootable. I even tried with :

# dd if=OSX86_ModCD-032311-151021.iso of=/dev/sdl

but this is what happened to the USB stick :

Disk /dev/sdl: 14.95 GiB, 16053960192 bytes, 31355391 sectors
Disk model: Cruzer           
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

It is not readable. The iso image does not seem to be good. What can I do now ? thanks.

On 6/4/2022 at 8:21 AM, marietto2008 said:

This is what I want to find out. I've replied to you at OSXL.

Long Time Ago I Did A DVD With ModCd Used Toast, Not Sure Of The Exact Method I Forgot

9 hours ago, STLVNUB said:

Long Time Ago I Did A DVD With ModCd Used Toast, Not Sure Of The Exact Method I Forgot

After a whole day of hard work,I've reached something. Let's say that I haven't been able to boot the original image of Snow Leopard. I tried with vmware
and qemu. I have converted the dmg file into an iso and img file,but it didn't boot. At the end I've used the macosx snow leopard server version and 
I've been able to install it without a lot of problems. Since it is old,I had a lot of troubles by finding an enough good browser to get the mod. 
At the end I've installed it,but I'm still getting this error : https://ibb.co/YTL1q8n.
I've used the EFI bootloader. is this good ? this will make the thing easier later when I will switch to freebsd and bhyve.
UPDATE : I have also tried with a BIOS bootloader,but I've got the same error as before. Below you can see what error I get when I choose
"other 64 bit"

wxhzphu3zu391.png

Edited by marietto2008

Some Versions Of OSX Have A Windows Partition On The Disk, I think That Is How I Made It Bootable

I've just found my Original snow leopard DVD ! I've used it instead of the dmg image file found on internet,but unfortunately I've got the same error that I've shown before. Can u explain a little bit better how to fix for that error ?

Edited by marietto2008

What you need is Toast Titanium

I forget what mode you needed to be in.

Basically you have 2 partitions on the dvd

One is nawcoms and other is Snow Leopard

Clover and Opencore are supposed to support earlier versions of OSX

Ozmosis did as well

{censored} the later Mac OS, I'm Going Back To Snow Leopard

You Can't beet the 3D dock and the satisfying welcome intro when you got most things right

I'll let you know how I go

See Next post

Edited by STLVNUB

your instructions are too vague. The variables into the game are too much. On the net there are a lot of confusion about SMBIOS and Clover and fakesmc and everyone say that their version is compatible with SL. There are a lot of procedures to install it. In addition I didn't understand if you are suggesting to install SL on vmware or physically and I'm confused about the procedure to follow.

Edited by marietto2008

I Doubt Very Much That The 10.6.7 is a RESTORE DVD 

It Has The Instructions Folder In It

Folder Contains Installation Instructions.app and Welcome to Snow Leopard.app

Also Has The Optional Installs Folder

Guest 5T33Z0
On 6/6/2022 at 2:39 PM, marietto2008 said:

your instructions are too vague. The variables into the game are too much. On the net there are a lot of confusion about SMBIOS and Clover and fakesmc and everyone say that their version is compatible with SL. There are a lot of procedures to install it. In addition I didn't understand if you are suggesting to install SL on vmware or physically and I'm confused about the procedure to follow.

There's a guide on how to SL in VirtualBox on Youtube:

Edited by 5T33Z0