SIMPLE STEPS to AMD HACKINTOSH - stable & everything working

hans fisch

2 posts in this topic

EURG5fA.jpg

last update: december 013

hello

*important intro
macintosh is a temperamental operating system to install without it's native hardware. once installed it is surprisingly stable in contrast. i had to follow this guide to every detail, as each driver can only be installed once, and if the wrong driver is installed, you have to install snow leopard right from the beginning for the right driver to work. be patient and wait for everything to load - there is no need to force power down most of the time. i spent a whole day in circles until i worked it all out. this will take about two hours if using the same hardware as i did.

secondly, snow leopard is  no longer supported by apple, and does not receive security updates. you may want to look at mavericks, instead

the hardware i chose
AMD PHENOM II 965                     a tried and tested processor for a hackintosh
ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2                 this motherboard worked well
ATI HD 6670                                well written guide
on which graphic cards work best

essential software. download all first
official 10.6.3 snow leopard disc     the operating system
official 10.6.6 update .pkg
            these three are security and functionality updates

official 10.6.7 update .pkg
official 10.6.8 update .pkg
nawcom MODCD 0.3.2
alt              allows the computer to read snow leopard disc
nawcom 10.6.8 v2 kernel alt          allows snow leopard to work with AMD processor

you may also want to keep an offline copy of this guide, as i don't install the ethernet until the end

1. burn nawcom MODCD
download and burn the nawcom MODCD 0.3.2 .iso to optical disc

2. adjust bios
open BIOS. change hard drive mode from IDE or SATA to AHCI. change boot order to boot only the optical drive, for the nawcom MODCD

3. boot snow leopard disc
exit BIOS. machine will boot nawcom MODCD. give it time to load. when the disc picture appears, eject the nawcom MODCD out. switch it with the official 10.6.3 snow leopard disc. press F5 - disc name will change. press enter. wait ten to fifteen minutes for installer to load.

4. format hard drive to macintosh
the snow leopard installer will boot. choose language. click utilities at the top then disk utility. format the hard drive to journaled. exit disk utility and click next on installation box.

5. customise installation
click the customise button on the left. a few boxes will be checked already, some you must not change and others you must change - depending on your hardware. don't change the SATA/IDE box or the audio box - the nawcom MODCD found these working ones. make sure only the following other boxes are ticked: X11, additional fonts, legacy kernel. begin snow leopard install - this will take approx 25 minutes. it will reboot when finished. change disc from snow leopard to nawcom MODCD. choose apple picture. 

6. update snow leopard to 1.6.8
audio and optical disc drive are now working. if you have problems with audio crackling or fuzziness, play with the settings in the machintosh application audio midi setup found in your utilities folder, and turn the microphone input down.

power up. install 10.6.6 do not open ##### yet & do not click restart. 

once it is finished installing, open #####. 10.6.6 installer will close. click ignore. reopen ##### tick the system & utilities box. then drivers & bootloaders ▶ tick chimera. then drivers & bootloaders ▶ kexts ▶ miscellaneous ▶ tick USB rollback. click continue and install. turn off computer - don't restart. power on

power up. install 10.6.7 do not open ##### yet & do not click restart

once it is finished installing, open ##### 10.6.7 installer will close. click ignore. reopen ##### tick system & utilities. tick chimera. tick USB rollback. click continue and install. turn off computer - don't restart.

power up. install 10.6.8 do not open ##### yet & do not click restart

once it is finished installing, open ##### 10.6.8 installer will close. click ignore. reopen ##### tick system & utilities. tick chimera. tick USB rollback. click continue and install. install the 10.6.8v2 nawcom kernel and tick force 64. click restart

7. ethernet
graphics drivers are now installed. you can change the resolution. open ##### tick system & utilities box. then kexts ▶ miscellaneous ▶ fakesmc plugins ▶ tick motherboard. then kexts ▶ miscellaneous ▶ fakesmc plugins ▶ tick LNX2MAC and no others. install and restart. you now have wired ethernet

8. software updates

run software updates and install all updates. click restart. no need to run ##### here.

9. backup

to save having to do this all over again when a fresh new copy of snow leopard is wanted, create a backup image with disk utility, super duper, or carbon copy cloner. i recommend carbon copy cloner. this will allow a complete copy of this freshly installed state to be restored to the hard drive, or to a new hard drive entirely. if you use this image of the fresh install on a new hard drive, you will have to boot using the nawcom MODCD, then install chimera.

DONE

credits

NAWCOM. chimera. LNX2MAC. this guide.

Edited by fantomas1
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

ok so i just tried this with a retail copy of snowy leopards on an only laptop an a6 toshiba satelite l755d-s5104 and i got this grey pop up screen showing my gpt partitions on my hard drive that i plane to erase.  could these be causing an error?  gonna format them with parted magic to hfs+ if it lets me

ok i still get erroes. theres a whole long list of out put.  my computer has 6 gigs of ram and is 4 cores withe gpu on die  6520g.  does this output get stoed in a log becuase i cant copy it from the screen.