Mac Studio RAM and SSD upgrades – ridiculously cumbersome and scary

Guest 5T33Z0

3 posts in this topic

Guest 5T33Z0

Just saw this video on Linus Tech tips fiddling around with 2 Mac Studios to upgrade the SSD (or flash modules) and RAM. This is kinda scary actually. After they changed the SSDs, they had to connect the thing to another Mac to restore it in DFU mode  – just like an Android device. And: they couldn't can't upgrade the RAM - restore failed. This is a total turnoff for me to buy such a machine once I can no longer install macOS on my Intel systems. The things Apple tries to get away with in terms of their hardware is just ridiculous.

You can't think of a MacStudio in terms of a PC. They are fundamentally different in many ways. The M1 is an SoC, and Apple fully utilizes their ability to vertically integrate. It has unified memory directly on package (is not replaceable) and even the SSD controller is integrated into the SoC. The only thing that is modular are the storage modules, which require entering DFU mode after replacement, which makes sense, you also cannot break an SSD in half and switch it out with half of another SSD.

• Like 3

It's monster ..... worth the $$  

If you buy one make sure it's the top end one.

But I would wait a few years.... just remember the progression of their iPhones, iPads, OS's iOS's. Skies the limit.

There's more on the plate for the coming times ahead.