Broawell-e Xeon on Monterey

The Veteran

18 posts in this topic

Well today I decide to create this post and to brag about the performance that my CPU still deliver a great performance despite the generation that the CPU its coming from. A Broadwell Xeon and yes there is other generations of XEON performing great w/ some firmware fix but mine its RAW performance and I dont have nothing to envy the M1 ultra for nothing. All this can be posible thanks to the generation of CPU that I got it now since it came out and I got stock for a while using CLOVER boot loader w/ Catalina, then someone under the name MALDON create me a custom DSDT change boot loader from Clover to OC and I was able to upgrade alway to Monterey with a spare hard drive w/ BigSur . No tweaks, no OCking, no increase the bus speed just RAW  he only option its tick the option at quirck on kernel of performance cause that quirck its for XEONS and there you have it. 

Benchmark Results

Xeon-Monterey.png

by default 2022-03-29 at 2.24.30 PM.png

• Like 2

Yes and thanks for reminding me his name and I did check your machine as well very powerfull one but mine been a old generation thats my point of this thread and the time that I been able w/ the help of other not my credit to be using this type of CPU running MacOSx. Oh by the way Miliuco you kind of remming me a Moderator under the name KGP a very kind person as well but thanks for the approach. 

• Like 1

Yes and sorry there is a lot of guy that did contribute back then on the Brodwell generation when APPLE didn't do any mayor upgrade covering that generation and MARISON correct me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I have the following specs, can you tell me if there's any suggestion to upgrade from BigSur to Monterrey? Thanks!

Mother: Huananzhi X99 F8

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2680 v4

RAM: 64 GB RAM ECC

Video: Aorus RX580 8GB

Disk 1: NVNe Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB

Disk 2: NVNe Kingston SA2000M81000G 1TB

17 hours ago, razor7 said:

Hi! I have the following specs, can you tell me if there's any suggestion to upgrade from BigSur to Monterrey? Thanks!

Mother: Huananzhi X99 F8

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2680 v4

RAM: 64 GB RAM ECC

Video: Aorus RX580 8GB

Disk 1: NVNe Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB

Disk 2: NVNe Kingston SA2000M81000G 1TB

Hello,

You can follow in the attached EFI which supported Huananzhi X99 F8 and Intel Xeon E5-26xx V4. Hopefully, it is useful for you. 

EFI-X99-HUANANZHI-F8-INTEL-XEON-V4-RX-580-8GB-main.zip

• Like 1

Hi! Upgraded to OC 0.8.0 and enabled debug, but after upgrading from BigSur to Monterrey I get the apple logo stuck at 50%. I'm attaching the OC log but I think is not so helpful, please advise!

Thanks!

PS: Using the suggested EFI, not even gets the loading bar displayed

opencore-2022-04-23-004311.txt opencore-2022-04-23-005404.txt opencore-2022-04-23-005854.txt

IMG_3536.JPG

EFI.zip

Edited by razor7

The only suggestion that I can come up with is my board its an ASUS your its what it is so, on my EFI you can not use the complete EFI as it is reason different boards my FI has a custom ACPI as you might see on the OC api folder so that file you can not use as it is but you can use it to guide your self to have an idea how to fix your if you don't have the expertise like me so my advice is to guide yourself to ask for a custom fix ACPI for your board at the forum that I don't want tp mention here cause rules but the person that I ask for it name MALDON. Also some of the kext I use they might not the same as yours, long story short in my advice the only helpful of my EFI on your board it might be the config. plist if your CPU generation its as mine in which is Broadwell-E Xeon i5 2696V4. Good luck.

• 5 months later...

sorry to necro an old thread.

@miliuco @Zuja4701

I am opencore booting a HP Z440 (C612) with a braodwell E5-2983v4 xeon and having one last niggle... I can't get the CPU to register correctly on 'about this mac'

I am using the imacpro smbios, tired macpro7,1 but performance was about half - geekbench 5 performance as a imacpro are in line if not better than windows 788/10392 power management is loading

I am also using cpu spoof per the opencore guide for broadwell

Istat menu has very little processor info, no temps etc, no individual core multipliers etc like I get with clover on my x58, 

idle power is good 40w and intel gadget shows good temps and watts so its getting full info

If I have opencore smbios cpuid set to 0 (zero) per instructions  it results in unknown in about this mac but shows properly in geekbench and hackentool

if I set the cpuid to 3681 (i think whatever comes up with iMac Pro) I get a generic 2.1 ghz (which is wrong) 16 core xeon W  but no other proc info

I am using virtualsmc, and all the plugins

all plug ins are below virtualsmc 

stumped 

also, if you recal me from that other site we dont mention here, the RX6600xt 308 MERC came in and works great .. agpmod-pikera was all that was required, perfomance is excellent

stumped?

well to continue... even though nobody seems to be weighing in ...

I decided to try Fakesmc3 and the intelcpu plug in.. with opencore 0.8.5 that was working well otherwise with macOS 12

Well that was a disaster, initially all looked well.. I got good istat data.. cpu temps all 16 cores, a package multiplier instead of by core, but hey it was a massive improvement.

Performance was about 5% less than using virtualsmc.. but then the weirdness..

boot looping and crashes.. my ssd go so corrupted it could not be repaired or even a fresh install on a new apfs container.. 

so  I wiped it clean, fresh install, and worse.. most time would not boot, once got a crash report once I finally hit the desktop about null pointers, nvram, apfs .. so I am thinking some out of bounds nvram writes, possible RTC issues etc.

went back to using 0.8.5 with vitrualsmc and working perfect again, no reinstall this time, luckily no drive corruption

so I can either have a stable machine with performance benches at or better than windows and no istat info

or 

a mess with fakesmc but have sensor data... 

guess there is no cake and eat it to 

I am also guessing that since apple never used a e5-2683v4 nor a 16 core variant in the Broadwell line, there is no way of getting opencore to recognize the cpu in 'about this Mac' which is know is cosmetic for the most part.

since power management SEEMS to be working fine.

@miliuco @MaLd0n what say you guys... any hope here for better CPU recognition and stats?

I cant even get the HP specs on which chip is used for LPC etc.. but I am guessing since most are not building on c612 / xeon platforms.. not much dev work at opencore to solve these issues

@dragonmel

Well, if I understood well, you had an EFI working fine but CPU model not showing in About this Mac. Let stay with that EFI.

System Profiler doesn't show the CPU model as well? I see GeekBech and Hackintool have well detected the CPU.

Does sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string in Terminal show the exact model? I guess it does.

You have iMacPro1,1. You can try RestrictEvents.kext, currently needed only for MacPro7,1 but useful to get the CPU brand name. Install it (Kexts folder and config.plist) and add 2 boot args in NVRAM >> Add >> 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:

• revcpuname (String) = E5-2983v4 Xeon (or whatever you want) 
  • revcpu (Number) =  1.

Reboot. If so you don't get the CPU name in About this Mac, I don't know how to get it.

@dragonmel

Please add a signature to your profile. It's the way to know the specs of the user's machine. It's in Account Details >> Signature.

Saludos desde León!

• Like 1

@miliuco

yes correct with 0.8.5 and Monterey using virtualsmc the setup is very stable and sleep, cpu pm, etc everything seems to work very well except that I get no cpu temps or really any other info in istat. Intel gadget works fine temps etc

if I use fakesmc when it boots it gives me full stats info but highly unstable and corrupts drive and possibly bios resets. 

I will your methods using restrictevents. Any down sides to that kext?  

yes the cpu comes up in geekbench and sysctl fine. I built a ssdt that combines ssdtprgen and plug into a single kext and that seems to work fine. 

justvno cpu data with system profiler. When I read how opencore works. If the cpu generation and core count don’t match then there is no cpu name. If I use marpro7,1 since that smbios does have a proc with 16 cores I get Xeon W (not e5 of course) but no other processor info and the bench numbers are significantly less like 50%. So clearly iMacpro is preferred for broadwell E5 xeons. 

I found a EFI that someone else started and have cleaned it up a bit. There are a few other patches I don’t think I need. I might post it up and you can take a look if you like. 

I wish the virtualsmc and fakesmc devs would share more info. 

gracias!

@miliuco

I will look into that too.

Really the cpu name is likely just cosmetic

What I would really like to see or know, is if there is something I am missing or if the virtualsmc team can add this E5 proc to their 'database'.  Perhaps the way opencore works, using the apple frameworks etc there is no way to ID procs that Apple never used... but what I really NEED is to monitor sensor data like CPU temps etc istat menus and I fear that virtualsmc is just not as mature or complete as fakesmc in that regard.. I dont have the programming skills to modify either

Fixed the cosmetics with restrictedevent and the boot args but that is cosmetic not because the right Apple framework ar anything is matching it. 

noticed today that none of the virtualsmc plug ins, cpu or superio are loading. I guess they are not getting matched either to a peculiar dsdt or cpu that the virtualsmc team has not programmed a match for yet 

I have lpc matching 

Edited by dragonmel