[SOLVED] Any suggestions for getting Marvell 88E8056 to work on Big Sur?

Wannabe Hacker

6 posts in this topic

Putting the finishing touches on a legacy hack, Asus P5Q-E, Q9650 running Big Sur 11.6.  This board has a Marvell 88E8056 LAN controller. It used to work on Mojave using the attached kext but no longer on Big Sur. The only thing my search has turned up so far is a reddit user reporting success on Big Sur using "using some old 64bit kexts". My attempts to reach out to them for more info has thus far proved unsuccessful. Although this is certainly not a crippling problem (successfully using a RTL8111 PCIe card), thought I would just check and see if anyone had useful info.  If not, I will assume that this is just another hack fatality.  Might seem silly to keep resuscitating such an old system but you know how some of us are.  😉

Marvell88E8056.kext.zip

Edited by MacGeoDoc
Added tags

It is not the driver. It is codeless kext which will work with system kext if present.

Take AppleYukon2.kext from Mojave and try to install it into Bigsur. I am not sure if it is possible.

@Slice, thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I suspected that it was related to the missing AppleYukon.kext and will try installing into Big Sur. 

Let me take a moment to tell you how much I have appreciated all your contributions to the hackintosh community. I have followed you for years and regard you as a true selfless hero. As the the hackintosh scene slowly comes to a close over the next few years what I will miss most is people like you that have worked so hard to help so many. Thanks again! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 6:41 AM, Slice said:

It is not the driver. It is codeless kext which will work with system kext if present.

Take AppleYukon2.kext from Mojave and try to install it into Bigsur. I am not sure if it is possible.

@Slice So I did what you suggested. I took the AppleYukon2 binary file from Mojave and incorporated it into the old codeless kext to create a new kext that OpenCore can inject. Works perfectly!

I've included the file for anyone interested.  I've only tested it on Big Sur using a Asus P5Q-E.  Thanks!

AppleYukon2_88E8056.kext.zip

update 5/7/22:  This kext still working for me after updating to Monterey 12.3.1

update 2/16/23: This kext still working even on Ventura 13.1 !

Edited by MacGeoDoc
update
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2022 at 8:46 PM, MacGeoDoc said:

@Slice So I did what you suggested. I took the AppleYukon2 binary file from Mojave and incorporated it into the old codeless kext to create a new kext that OpenCore can inject. Works perfectly!

I've included the file for anyone interested.  I've only tested it on Big Sur using a Asus P5Q-E.  Thanks!

AppleYukon2_88E8056.kext.zip 104.04 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for this! I tried a bunch of different kexts and none would work with my P6T Deluxe V2. This one worked perfectly!

On 5/5/2022 at 7:40 PM, tbob22 said:

Thanks for this! I tried a bunch of different kexts and none would work with my P6T Deluxe V2. This one worked perfectly!

So happy that someone found this kext useful!  Cool to see folks still playing with these legacy systems. Enjoy!