macOS Color Profile on non-Apple LCD notebook displays

aben

8 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

@makk Wholeheartedly appreciate your kind help with my request however, unfortunately, like you mentioned, it's back to the default color profile :( It is kinda baffling how the screenshot you posted still somehow shows the most accurate colors my display can actually show on macOS, I believe it has something to do with how InsanelyMac post-processes images or maybe it is Safari's color rendering of content, in any case it is definitely lit and I wish my system could render colors the same natively. I also believe it is a limitation of my laptop's LCD display's factory-calibrated white point space and gamma levels which does not really go well with macOS's default color profile therefore reverting back to MacBook Air's native EDID/Color Profile just looks more pleasant and closest to accurate when using my iPhone's LCD display as reference point even tho the latter covers the extended DCI-P3 color space.

Much thanks for helping me with this experiment! :) 

Edited by aben

10 hours ago, aben said:

@makk Wholeheartedly appreciate your kind help with my request however, unfortunately, like you mentioned, it's back to the default color profile :( It is kinda baffling how the screenshot you posted still somehow shows the most accurate colors my display can actually show on macOS, I believe it has something to do with how InsanelyMac post-processes images or maybe it is Safari's color rendering of content, in any case it is definitely lit and I wish my system could render colors the same natively. I also believe it is a limitation of my laptop's LCD display's factory-calibrated white point space and gamma levels which does not really go well with macOS's default color profile therefore reverting back to MacBook Air's native EDID/Color Profile just looks more pleasant and closest to accurate when using my iPhone's LCD display as reference point even tho the latter covers the extended DCI-P3 color space.

Much thanks for helping me with this experiment! :) 

I see.

Have you tried to mod it with Graphics illustrators ah, I can't remember which one, also sometimes using

I think it was Adobe Illustrator,  Photoshop to try Windows ICC settings.

Gamma's and other ones.

Thanks for the tips! Haven't gotten to try these approaches yet since I was extremely content when I found the MacBook Air's default Color LCD profile was providing way better color accuracy/gamma corrections for my Dell laptop's LCD display to a point where it's just stupid funny how it makes Windows default ICC profile looks bad lol

I have to note that there is absolutely no issues when hooking up external monitors/TVs to my system running macOS, works exactly as intended just like on real Macs, macOS is able to render the colors correctly based off the display's native EDID/color profile, no issues with that.

I believe WhateverGreen's patching could probably be improved for users with internal LCD displays using MacBook Pro/Air SMBIOS, instead of having the internal LCD display get assigned to the default generic Display profile (not that it's so bad) but maybe WEG could also allow these users to have the choice of applying the default Color LCD profile for that particular MacBook SMBIOS as well, just like real Mac behavior, this way users can also be made aware of what color profile suits their laptop's LCD display. Maybe this is a better approach for notebooks with LCD displays that have limited Color Profiling info from their native EDID. It's just my thoughts on this kind of niche use-case, I think most notebook users in this category probably don't care and just happy with the default color profile, I guess its just me lol

Edited by aben

On 3/21/2022 at 10:37 PM, aben said:

Thanks for the tips! Haven't gotten to try these approaches yet since I was extremely content when I found the MacBook Air's default Color LCD profile was providing way better color accuracy/gamma corrections for my Dell laptop's LCD display to a point where it's just stupid funny how it makes Windows default ICC profile looks bad lol

I have to note that there is absolutely no issues when hooking up external monitors/TVs to my system running macOS, works exactly as intended just like on real Macs, macOS is able to render the colors correctly based off the display's native EDID/color profile, no issues with that.

I believe WhateverGreen's patching could probably be improved for users with internal LCD displays using MacBook Pro/Air SMBIOS, instead of having the internal LCD display get assigned to the default generic Display profile (not that it's so bad) but maybe WEG could also allow these users to have the choice of applying the default Color LCD profile for that particular MacBook SMBIOS as well, just like real Mac behavior, this way users can also be made aware of what color profile suits their laptop's LCD display. Maybe this is a better approach for notebooks with LCD displays that have limited Color Profiling info from their native EDID. It's just my thoughts on this kind of niche use-case, I think most notebook users in this category probably don't care and just happy with the default color profile, I guess its just me lol

I see what you mean.

That is nice that you were able to use that particular profile.

It really I think depends on the what, how, the actual monitors are made and with.

Some are crispy while some are dulled down for eye wear.

I had a super crispy external HP flat screen monitor which I bought at Fry's in Cali. 

Super colors running windows 7 at that time.

With newer OS's and peoples having eye wear issues they've managed to tone down the actual monitor's.

I've used different calibration's at System Preferences. Seems need better monitors to begin with.

A nice crispy clear monitor is always the best solution first then you shouldn't need to scrounge around for ICC

for everyday use.