Dell Latitude e7470 not booting after updating to Monterey 12.1

Andrew1

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

After updating my e7470 to Monterey 12.1, I've been getting stuck at around the same point after the second boot (the first time booting into 12.1 right after upgrading went fine somehow):

IMG_0405.thumb.JPG.7f41c596bc5b7ff4d1e4d1d9a3a37342.JPG

I already tried clearing my NVRAM. I tried adding cpus=1 to the boot flags as well.

I attached a copy of my OC folder as well. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

OC.zip

12 hours ago, Hervé said:

What kind of wireless card do you have?

Because I can see Broadcom card carrying id 43a3 on that screenshot of yours and properties for a DW1820A commented out in your OpenCore config... If you do have a DW1820A in that laptop, you do need to inject the properties that fake BCM4360 and disable ASPM or laptop will indeed freeze at startup. Did you change your OC config in that respect before of after updating to Monterey 12.1?

https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/11322-broadcom-bcm4350-cards-under-high-sierramojavecatalinabig-surmonterey/#comment-105609

I'm using a DW1820A. I've verified that my config file has the needed injections already. I have not touched the OC config before or after updating.

Hi,
Here to report this issue is still present on macOS 12.2 beta since Monterey 12.0 beta4+. I too am in possession of the notorious DW1820a carrying id 43a3 which surprisingly has been working flawlessly almost OOB with no issues since Mojave on my Dell Inspiron. From my experience, the 43a3 variant now appears to be natively supported by macOS 12's legacy AirportBrcmNIC so no need for fake device injection or AirportBrcmFixup(atleast on the first few initial betas of Monterey) however as per @Hervé's advice you do need to disable ASPM fully(value: 0) or partially(value 67) to get this card to boot.

Coming back to the above kp issue, after various tests/debugging and with the recent similar reports, I now strongly believe something broke (since 12.0 beta4) with the way macOS 12's AirportBrcmNIC now initializes some of these native legacy cards on boot, not just limited to dw1820a cards I think. I suspect something has changed with the way ASPM states are now called for these legacy cards on boot however I maybe completely wrong here as I may have not tried all possible ASPM values/configs. Important thing to note here is that these KPs are sporadic, as in 4 out of 9 reboots ends up with macOS 12's AirportBrcmNIC successfully initializing device id 43a3, even with/out various device injections and AirportBrcmFixup installed or not, so there is some hope as these kps are not persistent thankfully at least for the DW1820a as per my testing.

For the moment, we just patiently wait for either Apple to patch this peculiar bug or hope for Acidanthera's AirportBrcmFixup to come up with a patch. Good thing this kp issue is not too bad, just have to bear with the intermittent annoyances during reboots sometimes but otherwise no issues whatsoever with DW1820a on Monterey even with L0s+L1 ASPM states activated.

Practically, I would suggest its probably time to bid farewell to the notorious DW1820a and hop on to the Fenvi BCM94360NG for the foreseeable future.

Edited by aben

@Hervé Thank you for your response! Big fan btw.

Yes, I am indeed fully aware of the compatibility issues with the DW1820A which I gather is mostly what this card is notoriously famous for especially when it comes to its ASPM properties varying between modules leading to different experiences for people who are in possession of this card. I guess the same applies to me coz as per your advice, I tried injecting pci14e4,4360 (both device properties and SSDT) system indeed never freezes on boot no matter how many restarts however the wifi module never activates with this declaration on Monterey, it stays disabled even tho IOReg shows the properties being injected correctly. This may come as a surprise to you but with no compatibility injection nor AirportBrcmFixup, the card actually functions perfectly fine with zero issues/glitches (L0s+L1 ASPM states on, S3 sleep/wake function works, full 5GHZ bandwidth with dual NSS transmit, turning on/off wifi module) however at the cost of occasional kps during boot initialization on Monterey which is bearable for my case since I only use macOS and rarely reboot my device except for updates.

As I have used the same device config properties unchanged since Mojave (I used compatibility injection with 43a0 following your godsend guide few years back, aspm value to 0) I never actually had to encounter any issues with this same card up until this boot kp on Monterey 12.0 b4 back in Aug. This is what led me to investigate more about the dw1820A's compatibility issues and after much research and various tests/trials & errors I have eventually discovered that the DW1820A, atleast the one I have in hand, doesn't really need compatibility injection nor AirportBrcmFixup on Monterey or Big Sur anymore. It does really work 100% OOB on macOS if I also disable ASPM for the PCIE Root Port attaching the wifi module itself via BIOS setting. From all the information I could gather online around the dw1820a and its issues, I really wouldn't be surprised if other people have different experiences with this card.

I was indeed contemplating on whether to replace this card with the Fenvi only for the 
compatibility issues but otherwise the DW1820A works like a charm on my device OOB.

Edited by aben

@Hervé No worries at all! I kinda figured as much. Tbh at first glance of your initial post, I initially assumed you were actually referring to faking device id to match BCM4360 with the help of FakePCIID.kext first and then injecting compatibility properties for BCM4360 which did sound like a potential fix I hadn't thought of prior to while testing but then it turns out it was just a slip of tongue situation. Happens to the best of us so no worries!

Really do appreciate your time having looked into this so thank you! Since OP issue has been fixed, thread can now be closed.

Edited by aben

14 hours ago, Hervé said:

OP has fixed his problem. Thread can be closed.

@aben big mistake on my part: I wrote pci14e4,4360 (because I was thinking about BCM4360) when I should have written pci14e4,43a0 ! I've rectified my previous post to that effect. Of course, pci14e4,4360 being an incorrect value, no-one would be able to operate a DW1820A with it. Sorry.

I had encountered freeze/KP after boot if only injecting the property that disabled ASPM so I was certain that faking id of BCM4360 or BCM43602 remained necessary; good if it's no longer the case. I'll have to try again in my E7270.

I have same issue, what is the op fix? 

if you use dw1820a and in the bios you have no entry to disable aspm, you can extract your bios and then convert to txt and look for the variable setup_var to disable aspm for the pci root of the wifi card, using modgrubshell.efi or ru.efi

see photo pci dev (dell latitude 7280) full aspm disabled

602391522_Schermata2022-01-21alle23_43_07.thumb.png.b499dad90198e4e49428be11f4a6e11a.png

Edited by lorys89