Mammoth name for macOS 13?

Ludox

7 posts in this topic

I'm not sure it would be a very wise choice for a name… Outside of California (that is, for 99.4 % of the world population) it instantly evokes a long-extinct, heavy pachyderm rather than a fancy mountain resort—not quite the kind of branding you'd want in high-tech.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The name features prominently in "About this Mac" while the version number is in small type below. Having a name feels less technical than a string of numbers.

If I were to take a guess, I'd venture that having and using a name is regarded in Cupertino as an important part of the Apple experience. By contrast, it is obvious that selling (Intel) processors which are three of four generations behind current is unimportant—and displaying the full (numerical) model of these processors is entirely dispensable.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, etorix said:

I'm not sure it would be a very wise choice for a name… Outside of California (that is, for 99.4 % of the world population) it instantly evokes a long-extinct, heavy pachyderm rather than a fancy mountain resort—not quite the kind of branding you'd want in high-tech.

El Capitan also only meant "Captain" to most people outside of California. I don't think Apple cares that much about this aspect.

I'm sure that California's state government, responsible for taxing Apple and providing it with various tax breaks, appreciates the California names as all of the names of macOS of late are major California tourist destinations.