Successful Installation of macOS Monterey 12.0.1 using OpenCore0.7.6 Boot-loader on Z77XUP5TH+ i7-3770K+nVidai GT710

cmn699

12 posts in this topic

I want to thank Moderator Hervé for the slight nudge he had given me in my last post to take another look at OC that made this Installation a lot easier with this Intel 7 Series old Gigabyte MoBo and Ivy-bridge i7-3770K hardware running macOSBigSur using Clover as a  Multi-disk-Multi-Boot system until now. I also want to thank Chriss1111 for his Nvidia “GeForce _Kepler Patcher” to rejuvenate this old Graphics card for a better performance.. 

Here are the summary images of the Monterey 12.0.1 on my GA-Z77X-UP5Th i7-3770K at a glance. If anyone has the above listed hardware, I will be glad to help in Monterey using OC.

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 9:30 AM, taetae said:
98 / 5.000
could you do a little guide about me the system goes into kernel panic with a gt730 kepler

I noted your Hardware SPECS of GA-Z370-HD3P+i7 8700k+Gt 370 . I don't have the same hardware. The closest I have in Intel 300 series with macOSMonterey 12.01 (not upgraded to 12.1 yet) using CLOVER 5142 in a triple boot setup with Windows 11 Pro and Ubuntu 20.xx is a GA-Z390 Gaming X  + i5-9400F+GT 710. I can help you with its EFI Folder zipped + BIOS setup images I have  chosen. You may have to modify its EFI_CLOVER_ACPI_Pactched  SSDT -aml files with appropriate ones to suit your MoBo. If that is OK, let me know, I will upload them for you. 

• 1 year later...

@cmn699 You had asked questions about applying OCLP post-install patches.  As I mentioned, I do not have experience with applying OCLP post-install patches to "modern" hack with a newer SMBIOS MacModel (like your iMac19,1), but I have some guesses.  First, I would suggest searching for the answer.  I did a quick search and found this.  

If I were attempting to patch your hack, my first guess would be to do the following:

1. Remove the Nvidia dGPU and upgrade to Ventura using your hack's Intel iGPU.  This will require an EFI for your iGPU.
  2. With your dGPU removed, boot Ventura with your iGPU EFI
  3. Use OCLP to install Nvidia post-install patches.  To "trick" OCLP to install the patches, you will need to open OCLP > Settings and select an SMBIOS model that needs the patches (e.g., MacPro5,1).
  4. Before booting with the OCLP patches, change your EFI to your dGPU EFI and install your Nvidia card.  In addition to post install patches, you may need boot args amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 and possibly ipc_control_port_options=0

*** If you have other patches installed (e.g., Chris1111's patches), you may need to remove the old patches before installing new patches with OCLP.  I'm not sure.

You may find it easier to make your EFI changes on a bootable USB drive rather than making the EFI changes on your SSD.  If I were hacking your PC, I would have my iGPU EFI on a USB (to perform steps 1, 2 and 3 above) and I would keep your dGPU unchanged on your SSD.

Good luck with your hack!  I hope this helps you.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 2:40 PM, deeveedee said:

@cmn699 You had asked questions about applying OCLP post-install patches.  As I mentioned, I do not have experience with applying OCLP post-install patches to "modern" hack with a newer SMBIOS MacModel (like your iMac19,1), but I have some guesses.  First, I would suggest searching for the answer.  I did a quick search and found this.  

If I were attempting to patch your hack, my first guess would be to do the following:

1. Remove the Nvidia dGPU and upgrade to Ventura using your hack's Intel iGPU.  This will require an EFI for your iGPU.
  2. With your dGPU removed, boot Ventura with your iGPU EFI
  3. Use OCLP to install Nvidia post-install patches.  To "trick" OCLP to install the patches, you will need to open OCLP > Settings and select an SMBIOS model that needs the patches (e.g., MacPro5,1).
  4. Before booting with the OCLP patches, change your EFI to your dGPU EFI and install your Nvidia card.  In addition to post install patches, you may need boot args amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 and possibly ipc_control_port_options=0

*** If you have other patches installed (e.g., Chris1111's patches), you may need to remove the old patches before installing new patches with OCLP.  I'm not sure.

You may find it easier to make your EFI changes on a bootable USB drive rather than making the EFI changes on your SSD.  If I were hacking your PC, I would have my iGPU EFI on a USB (to perform steps 1, 2 and 3 above) and I would keep your dGPU unchanged on your SSD.

Good luck with your hack!  I hope this helps you.

deeveedee: Thank you for immensely for all your suggestions to help me out. After an erratic power problem from Winter Storms, I was finally able to successfully install macOS Monterey 12.6.3 using an older version of CLOVER  5142 on the hardware :MoBo:GA-Z390 Gaming X + Intel i5 8400 Graphics Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2GB.

I am uploading relevant screenshots hoping  someone with the same hardware and struggling as I did to create Monterey Installation, will find them helpful.  If file size won't prevent  uploading ,  I will also attach a zipped EFI folder containing CLOVER and CURRENT Kexts and my Patched ACPI used for this installation either with this or another post.

1.ABout This Mac .jpg

2.System Report_Hardware.jpg

3.Audio.jpg

4.Bluetooth Chipset.jpg

5.Ethernet.jpg

7.Grphics and Displays .jpg

8.Memory Modules.jpg

10.USB ports.jpg

11.WiFi .jpg

@cmn699 Looks like you're making progress. Did you switch to SMBIOS iMac18,1 or did I read it incorrectly the first time? iMac19,1 is a better match for your i5-8500. If you did switch, what is your reasoning?

5 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@cmn699 Looks like you're making progress. Did you switch to SMBIOS iMac18,1 or did I read it incorrectly the first time? iMac19,1 is a better match for your i5-8500. If you did switch, what is your reasoning?

Thank you deeveedee for your interest in my system and following my progress.
When I used the macOS Monterey Installer with Clover 5151 and SMBIOS configured to iMac19,1 for my MoBo Z-390-Gaming X and CPU i5 8400,  everything would go well with earlier stage of installation but at "12 minutes remaining" , the system will suddenly reboot and and the installer, instead of going for the next stage of competing SDD installation, would return to "Language selection and Installation screen" for a "Reinstallation of macOSMonterey" ! After 3 such incidents in a row, I decided to remake the Installer USB with Clover Ver 5142 and downgrade the SMBIOS to iMac 18,1 as I could not find anyone having successfully installed Monterey  with CLOVER or OC  with this combination of hardware to guide me out of the impasse. It was just a coin toss, not based on any known theory. After Install I used Chris1111's GeF Kepler patch for my PCIE Nvidia GT 710 Graphics card to get full resolution. Monterey is working well in my system. I made a couple of SSD Clones of the working system using Clonezilla 2020.

Now I am wondering if my system would stand an update to maCOS Ventura 13.2 using the current CLOVER EFI,  knowing well,  Nvidia will not work and whether removing that a and using just the Integrated Intel HD 630 alone would make the system work OK. 
Any thoughts?

Anyone has any suggestion?

@cmn699 The iMac18,1 is a Kabylake Mac with no dGPU.  It uses the Intel iGPU.  The iMac19,1 is a CoffeeLake (like yours), but it uses a Radeon dGPU.  I wouldn't have guessed this, but maybe the reboot with iMac19,1 happens because of the absence of a Radeon dGPU and the presence of the Nvidia dGPU?  I don't know.

If I were hacking your rig, I would first get it booting Ventura with SMBIOS iMac19,1 and with your iGPU (no dGPU) and then I would attempt to patch it to boot with the Nvidia graphics.  I'm not sure you need it when attempting to boot with only your iGPU, but there is a WhateverGreen boot-arg -wegnoegpu that tells WhateverGreen to disable external dGPUs.  Since you have your rig booting with iMac18,1, you should stick with that SMBIOS for your initial Ventura upgrade experiments.  After you get Ventura working, you can experiment with other SMBIOS MacModels (like iMac19,1).

Here's where my lack of experience with OCLP and a "modern" rig limits my ability to help - I don't know how you should apply the Nvidia patches in order to upgrade to Ventura.  I think you will need to "trick" OCLP into installing the patches, because it detects your hack as an iMac18,1 that doesn't need the patches (resulting in gray-out OCLP patching options).  I think you will want to open OCLP settings and change the SMBIOS MacModel to MacPro5,1 (a model than can have Nvidia graphics).  With this "trick," OCLP's "Post Install Root Patch" will be available (not grayed out).

EDIT: I did notice that you are using USBInjectAll.kext, but I don't know if one of your SSDTs customizes your USB port map (maybe you have a USB mapping in SSDT-USBX.aml or SSDT-USB-Reset.aml?).  I think you will want to have a good USB port mapping before you attempt your Ventura upgrade.  If you don't have a preferred USB port mapping method, @miliuco recently documented a method that I haven't tried, but that looks promising.  Search his recent posts to find the new method.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deeveedee said:

@cmn699 The iMac18,1 is a Kabylake Mac with no dGPU.  It uses the Intel iGPU.  The iMac19,1 is a CoffeeLake (like yours), but it uses a Radeon dGPU.  I wouldn't have guessed this, but maybe the reboot with iMac19,1 happens because of the absence of a Radeon dGPU and the presence of the Nvidia dGPU?  I don't know.

If I were hacking your rig, I would first get it booting Ventura with SMBIOS iMac19,1 and with your iGPU (no dGPU) and then I would attempt to patch it to boot with the Nvidia graphics.  I'm not sure you need it when attempting to boot with only your iGPU, but there is a WhateverGreen boot-arg -wegnoegpu that tells WhateverGreen to disable external dGPUs.  Since you have your rig booting with iMac18,1, you should stick with that SMBIOS for your initial Ventura upgrade experiments.  After you get Ventura working, you can experiment with other SMBIOS MacModels (like iMac19,1).

Here's where my lack of experience with OCLP and a "modern" rig limits my ability to help - I don't know how you should apply the Nvidia patches in order to upgrade to Ventura.  I think you will need to "trick" OCLP into installing the patches, because it detects your hack as an iMac18,1 that doesn't need the patches (resulting in gray-out OCLP patching options).  I think you will want to open OCLP settings and change the SMBIOS MacModel to MacPro5,1 (a model than can have Nvidia graphics).  With this "trick," OCLP's "Post Install Root Patch" will be available (not grayed out).

EDIT: I did notice that you are using USBInjectAll.kext, but I don't know if one of your SSDTs customizes your USB port map (maybe you have a USB mapping in SSDT-USBX.aml or SSDT-USB-Reset.aml?).  I think you will want to have a good USB port mapping before you attempt your Ventura upgrade.  If you don't have a preferred USB port mapping method, @miliuco recently documented a method that I haven't tried, but that looks promising.  Search his recent posts to find the new method.

Deeveedee, Thank you very much for your analysis and multiple suggestions. I am going to work on the suggested options one by one, documenting everything for future analysis and posting my observations(and inferences) to this thread as things develop. 
You are spot on in your assessment of poor USB Mapping in my system. At present, as result of. shoddy job I have made,  I have disconnected some of the onboard USB 2 and one USB-3 headers' cable to the case USB ports thereby removing the offending USB ports. I am relying on a working PCIE USB 3 adapter for my installation of Monterey. I plan on continuing that until I install Ventura or fail a few times and then embark on port mapping before making any other attempts to upgrade.
My initial attempt  would be to try to use Nvidia GT 710  for Ventura 13.2 as a fresh install on a new SSD with ENABLED Intel IGP and if booting fails, I would  remove the Nvidia GT710 from PCIE 1 and connect the Monitor directly to Integrated Intel HD 630. If it fails as you seem to foresee, I will try your suggestions one after the other and check. 

Thanks a million.

@cmn699 This is a good learning experience.  I suspected there was more to do than a simple patching with OCLP (which is why I suggested moving this discussion out of the Open Core Legacy Patcher thread).  Good luck with your hack!