Big Sur 11.6.2 RC2 build 306 update available

Henties

9 posts in this topic

Apple is seeding (has been seeding) Big Sur 11.6.2 RC2 build 306, since 16 November, just noticed it today.

Greetings Henties

Meaningless and useless posts may be removed at Moderator's discretion.

Pick an appropriate title and tags (if any) for your post. A good title makes it easier to find what you are looking for. Using informative tags allows for improved searching of related topics.

All posts must be clearly written and easy to read. For example, if you have long blocks of text, use the Code option, etc. Limit "empty lines"

as much as possible, use punctuation where you can and be concise. Posts may be edited for this reasons by InsanelyMac staff at their discretion.

Edited by fantomas
Please, be more explicit while you're posting topics, otherwise we will just delete them. Thank you for your understanding.

You know that "RC" stands for "Release Candidate", right? Why are you writing about Release Candidates for an OS which has been released more than a year ago??

@5T33Z0 Yes you are correct, the way Apple handles its operating system versioning baffels me as well. Big Sur was released long ago yes, but days after it's initial release beta code was seeded by Apple and that beta code is now at Big Sur 11.6.2 RC2 build 306. It is offered -seeded - by Apple as a full installer to my Big Sur 11.6.2 build 303 beta installation.

Greetings Henties

And I gues you are on the public beta or developer seed?

1113264432_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-23um16_30_03.png.a3a734afaf4fce86c94439d238263b5e.png

1348237084_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-23um16_30_10.png.f6a7cbf234b5921022fe2e0863f71c0b.png

This is still beta… you already said it last week, that this is available. It was a beta then and it still is now.

Edited by 5T33Z0

@5T33Z0 Just completed the upgrade of Big Sur 11.2.6 RC2 build 306. This was released on 16 November and am expecting "another final" release later today.

Yes I am on the developer program, but do not have it enabled permanently, only enable it when I know Apple is seeding an update, my source being  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Big_Sur

Greetings Henties

Big Sur 11.6.2 RC2 20G306.png

Big Sur recent release history.png

Big Sur before upgrading to 11.6.2 RC2 build 20G306.png

Edited by Henties

The Point is: don't call it Big Sur Update, when it's a beta update and not a retail release! You won't gett notified about this update if you're not on the developer branch.

@miliuco and @5T33Z0 In order not to add to the "new" Apple versioning confusion, introduced with Monterey as well as Big Sur,  I tried to be as clear and concise as possible with the choice of the wording for my heading and also as close as possible to what Apple themselves are calling this latest Big Sur "update".  

To me the word "beta" in the heading would have been inappropriate because this "update" is RC2 code, much more than just "beta code"  

If my choice of the wording in the heading is misleading and offensive to some than I apologise and now believe it would have been wiser of me not to have alerted board participants to this latest Apple Big Sur "update" exercise, in the first place..

For clarity the attached screenshot refers.

Greetings Henties

An update is available for your Mac.png

Edited by Henties
  • Like 2

The problem is not that the release exists, the issue is how you get it:

Do you get notified about this update if you are on the public beta branch of the update tree? YES!

Do you get notified this update if you are on the developer branch of the update tree? YES!

Do you get notified this update if you unenroll from any of these branches (which is the default )? NO! And if the answer is NO, then it's not a retail release yet!

I explained this twice now already!

If you open this Link mentioned in the screenshot you will notice that there's no entry for Big Sur 11.6.2 available. In other words: THIS IS NOT PUBLIC YET, because it is only a Release CANDIDATE…

Edited by 5T33Z0