Unusual USB problem - is there a more elegant solution?

mengshi

2 posts in this topic

I have my Gigabyte Z97-HD3 running Monterey as iMac 19,2. My USB is set up using a DSDT.aml by MaLd0n which just uses the XHC controller (the EHC is not seen or needed). USB Mapping done by Hackintool + USBInjectall method. All working well. I have sleep working, WOL working and no shutdown bug. Only thing I don't fix is the need to wake up the monitors with another click of the mouse or keyboard after the system has woken from sleep. I kinda like this as the monitors don't turn on during WOL.  The system wakes up with any USB activity -eg. power on my USB printer, turning on and off the below DAC.

My issue is with my USB-powered DAC (Audioengine D1). I am currently using the SPDIF output from the motherboard to send signal to the DAC and using the motherboard USB power to power the DAC (The DAC's signal input is either USB or SPDIF).  During sleep, quite often there will be rhythmic continuous pop pop pop sounds from the DAC's sound output after an undetermined period of sleep. The cause is some USB power issue during sleep.  I have confirmed it occurs if I don't use the SPDIF and purely use USB for the above DAC for both signal and power. Somehow this popping sounds don't occur with those USB dongle DACs. The power switch light of the DAC is on during sleep and the above popping noise from the sound output of will disappear when I power cycle the DAC.

My solution is to power the DAC purely from an external USB source.

I don't think there will be a solution for this but I am curious.

Edited by mengshi
Grammar