I made a patch for people with 965 chipsets...

69 posts in this topic

@thedguy:

You can, but it won't boot. Once the OS is installed on the PATA drive, it doesn't have the kexts it needs to boot. If you can figure a way to load the kexts on there, it'll boot then.

I wonder, does this patch also enable the OSX Installation from this disc to recognize drives that are plugged on the JMicron controller? I would like to confirm this because booting on my OSX installation, it didn't see the drives I have there.

Hi guys I am brand new to this osx thing and am trying to dual boot vista and osx I have followed (profit42s dual boot vista and osx guide) to the "T" and i still cant get it to work. Here is my hardware profile: DS3 rev1 board/E6300 OC to 3.2Ghz 3 SATA Hard Drives (2 WD's and 1 Seagate) This is what i have done numerous times...Clean install of vista...during install set up 30GB partition and leave it as unallocated space...once Vista is completely installed I use the disk part command and prep the partition. I allready have downloaded the 10.4.8 reseed and the JMB patch. Patched iso and burnt it. ready for install. After loading the disc I use the -v option its starts to load and then i get the dreaded waiting for root. I thought maybe it was the wd Drive so i switched it to the seagate still same problem. Any Ideas on What the hell I am doing wrong.

Edited by dc297spec

To: thedguy

You are awesome for making this patch and seeding it.

You are also, however, an ass for putting it on only Demonoid.

Please consider the non-torrentl33t in the future.

This has been a public broadcast announcement for the betterment of internet fileshareing.

1st: read the forum rules. we can't post file attachments, and thedguy made what everyone does here=submit to demonoid/pirate bay/younameit...

2nd: he made public a method to simplify US starters the install process, he knows very well how to install in his machine, and probably does not need the patch for himself. So, please, stop calling names.

3rd: if you ask nicely, someone can send you the .torrent, as someone did for me. Demonoid is a pain in the ass, but the patch works nicely and right nown i'm posting with safari on my brand new osx!

So, please, be patient and stop calling ass to people who's helping everyone here. thedguy isn't guilty of demonoid's faults

Hi! I tried booting from the PPFed 10.4.8 reseed disc onto my IDE DVD drive attached to a JMicron controller.

My board's chipset is i945G (i know, i should've just plugged the IDE DVD onto the ICH7 IDE). I have plugged my 'PATA' disk on the ICH7 controller. However, even at this set up, booting onto PPFed OSX 10.4.8 reseed DVD gave me an error

System config'/com.apple. Boot.plist' not found

I believe I am not the only one encountering this error, based from the link

I dont know if this helps becuase i have the ds3 board with the 965 chipset, but I would get the same error if my bios settings for "onboard sata ctrl mode = AHCI" when i changed it to IDE everything worked fine.

EDIT: This relates to using a DVD that has JMB drivers during install but which does NOT install such drivers (i.e. JaS 10.4.8 Reseed + JMB patch etc.).

After you have installed to a PATA drive, try this:

Boot the the patched JMB DVD again. When the installer comes up, go to the menu and start the terminal then type this:

EDIT: I "forgot" all the code. :( Sorry.

mount -uw /Volume/DiskWhatever

This re-mounts the disk as read-write (so you can make changes to it).

cd /Volume/DiskWhatever/System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents

EDIT: vi is not on DVD therefore load from your installed system

/Volume/DiskWhatever/usr/bin/vi Info.plist

edit to add your JMB device ID to the relevant section of the plist, then:

cd /Volume/DiskWhatever/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents

EDIT: vi is not on DVD therefore load from your installed system

/Volume/DiskWhatever/usr/bin/vi Info.plist

In vi you do this:

*) press your arrow keys until you reached the position where you want to add the JMB device ID

*) press "a" (without the " of course) to enter append-mode in vi (to insert text)

*) type the device ID

*) press ":w"+enter (again without the ") to write changes.

*) press ":q"+enter (w/o ") to quit.

repeat for second file as above.

Follow this by the regular:

rm /Volume/DiskWhatever/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /Volume/DiskWhatever/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

reboot.

Now you have entered the relevant info so that drivers gets loaded for the JMB controller and hence the OS will load.

Let me know if it works.

Edited by tomtefar

cool! thanks! ill try this asap.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but just to clarify things (sorry to becoming repetitive here)...

this set up only works if installing jas 10.4.8 reseed onto a...

- pata hdd hooked to the ich7 controller with

- pata dvd hooked to the jmb controller or ich7 controller

- sata hdd hooked to the ich7 controller

what this routine does is that

- it let's osx recognize drives on the jmb ata controller provided osx is installed on a disk on the ich7 southbridge

what this routine doesn't do 'yet' is...

- it won't let osx run onto a pata hdd hooked to the jmb controller

No, you only need this if you install on a PATA drive (on Jmicron) with Jas reseed+JMB-patch. ICH7 is natively supported as far as I know.

The reason for the code I typed is that Jas reseed+JMB-patch contains JMicron drivers but does not INSTALL such drivers, hence posible to install but not to boot once installed.

Edited by tomtefar

i see. here's what happened with my set up...

- i installed osx based on instructions (done)

- restarted using the patched osx reseed disc (done)

- followed your instructions..

-- started terminal (done)

-- under terminal, mounted the disk using the command-line you mentioned (done)

-- under terminal, when i typed 'vi ...' it says something like command not found (unsuccessful)

- tried another way, booting to the HDD (connected to ICH7)

-- from the hard disk, i started terminal (done)

-- under terminal, typed 'vi...' Info.plist file was loaded (done)

-- appended file (typing 'a') and inserted the device-id (done)

-- pressed 'esc', then typed ':w', says cannot overwrite read-only file, use '!' (unsuccessful)

-- retried the procedure above but instead typed ':w!', says file in use cannot be overwritten (unsuccessful)

at this point im not sure what to do, instead, im making another OSX installation on another disk just to edit the said entries.

if there are other workarounds, please advise. :)

thedguy, any chance you could write a patch to add support for the Via VT6410 PATA controller included onboard with the Biostar P965PT motherboards? Biostar decided to go with this chipset instead of the JMicron 363 chipset. The HCL for a few older releases of OSx86 says this controller is unsupported. If you could write a fix that would be great =).

edmoncu: Well, if you boot from the HDD you need to be root to modify the Info.plist files. Did you change user to root?

Regarding "vi" on the DVD. I just assumed there was a "vi" editor available to the terminal. Maybe nano (or, could it be, ... no... emacs?) is available? There must be some editor available. I will look into it tomorrow if I can.

The patch is integrated into the latest 10.4.8 AMD+INTEL iso that was released on 1/3/07. Get that. It's available from the demon.
is this the 638.81 MB posted by tehsu on demon?

if that's the update, will it update 10.4.6 installations as well?

Edited by edmoncu

UPDATE: tried running vi from the terminal using the OSX x86 disc, it ran fine, it was able to load the file. However, as soon as I press the cursor keys to navigate within the file, the status message says...

E388: Couldn't find definition

i tried navigating with the cursor keys with numlock turned on and off, but the warning wouldn't disappear. i tried editing by pressing 'a', but i cannot get the cursor to move.

:thumbsup_anim:

though i get a demon acc finally.... i cant connect to any seeds or peers........ only 0.6% was downloaded.............. T_T....

would anyone can provide other method of downloading this patch?

or my ftp: ftp://edwxd.no-ip.com/upload%20here/

thx a lot!!!!!!!

Done. Do me a favor and make it available to others who can't get it from demonoid.

To: thedguy

You are awesome for making this patch and seeding it.

You are also, however, an ass for putting it on only Demonoid.

Please consider the non-torrentl33t in the future.

This has been a public broadcast announcement for the betterment of internet fileshareing.

;)

Sorry? I have limited bandwidth, I figured if you got the ISO, you must have access to demonoid, and I wanted to be able to link directly to the correct ISO to avoid problems with what version to use. Plus they open registration every friday.

I can't please everyone, and if anyone wants to redistribute it, I don't care. Though apparently there is a new ISO out that makes my patch useless. I've been busy with other projects.

thedguy, any chance you could write a patch to add support for the Via VT6410 PATA controller included onboard with the Biostar P965PT motherboards? Biostar decided to go with this chipset instead of the JMicron 363 chipset. The HCL for a few older releases of OSx86 says this controller is unsupported. If you could write a fix that would be great =).

I didn't right the driver, I just took what was already working and applied it to the disc. If there is a way to make the PATA work in OSX I can possibly do it.

Edited by thedguy

Hi Thedguy,

Thanks heaps for your patch!

I'm using it on the JaS 10.4.8 iso, and have gone from the constant apple grey screen to a working installer, but I'm getting stuck a bit further down the path - When asked to select a destination volume, I'm getting two blank boxes.

I've set aside a 20gb primary partition and flagged it as boot with gparted under linux. I'm using a 320gb Segate SATA drive and I've tried the ICH8 and Jmicron sata ports, plus I've toggled SATA native/legacy under the bios and I'm still not getting anywhere.

I'm using the GA-965p-s3 motherboard with the F6 bios release - I might try F7 later today but the s3's bioses don't correspond with the DS3s and F7 only gives support for quad core or something by the looks which isn't particularly useful for me.

Current partition table:

WinXP (first thing installed) 20gb NTFS primary | Unformatted 20gb primary, boot | Logical partitions : 10gb Ubuntu Linux | 500mb Linux swap | ~250gb NTFS data partition.

Have I missed anything? Please let me know if you can think of anything, it's driving me mad!

Many thanks in advance :thumbsup_anim: