AppleALC - Sound is working but the microphone isn't.

davieees

6 posts in this topic

Hola, members,

I apologize for annoying you over again and again. The issue is the microphone isn't working anymore. I've tried almost all layout-ids, still the same. I want to mention that the microphone was working flawless before. Well, I just updated to macOS Monterey and the microphone started not working anymore. I mean, the microphone was working on macOS Big Sur though. It were moments on macOS Big Sur, it started going crazy and stopped working. Yeah, the microphone is working fine on Windows. It may be a issue with AppleALC, maybe not, I can't say. I would appreciate a lot your help about this. Maybe there were people with the same issue. Also, the microphone is recognized in the Sound Tab, but it's not working.  If you need any file, just let me know, I am here.  Again, I would appreciate a lot your help about this.  

I don't know if it has any sense but I think it is necessary. - Audio Codec => Realtek ALC255.

-Regards, Dave.

1666779429_Screenshot2021-09-10at3_19_41PM.png.1bde2134e3944c6bcb23f89e693c75b3.png

I have to say that I know the problem with microphone on some codecs. It is an issue of HDA spec. So I had to make some violation of HDA spec in VoodooHDA to make the microphone working.

With AppleHDA it is not possible. 

6 hours ago, Hervé said:

Try and cache CodecCommander kext from /L/E. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a kext that injects well or at all.

1. enable GateKeeper (if disabled)
  2. manually copy the kext to /L/E through Terminal command line
  3. of course, make sure your SIP settings allow unsigned/unapproved kexts

GateKeeper should then prompt you to authorise the kext. Accept and reboot. @Slice detailed the whole process in his VoodooHDA thread here.

Hi, Herve.

1.  I enabled GateKeeper (enabled as default).

2. I copied the kext to /L/E through Terminal command line. 

3. I did set the value of "csr-active-config". (This could be considered the first step, I did set the value to Disable SIP.)

<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
            <string>0x0285</string>

=> I did everything you said in your comment. What should I do now? The microphone it's still dead. It is recognized right, but it's not working as it should do. I'll wait an answer from you. Also, thanks for your patience to help me.

-Regards, Dave.

Edited by davieees
"I just needed to Disable SIP, in order to get the 'Allow' thing in System Preferences => Security & Privacy."

2 hours ago, Slice said:

I have to say that I know the problem with microphone on some codecs. It is an issue of HDA spec. So I had to make some violation of HDA spec in VoodooHDA to make the microphone working.

With AppleHDA it is not possible. 

Hi, Slice. 

I know. The thing is that the microphone was working before on macOS Big Sur. There were moments when the microphone just stopped working. One week ago, I decided to update to macOS Monterey. This is when the microphone completly stopped working. If you suggest me to use VoodooHDA, I would not. It's considered a bad kext, and by saying that I mean, bad audio quality and other things. I want to make the microphone working with AppleALC, if it's possible, of course. Maybe a kext or something else to fix it? I don't have any idea. Would appreciate your help. Thanks for your answer. Also, I want to thank you for your patience too! 

-Regards, Dave.

10 hours ago, davieees said:

Hi, Slice. 

I know. The thing is that the microphone was working before on macOS Big Sur. There were moments when the microphone just stopped working. One week ago, I decided to update to macOS Monterey. This is when the microphone completly stopped working. If you suggest me to use VoodooHDA, I would not. It's considered a bad kext, and by saying that I mean, bad audio quality and other things. I want to make the microphone working with AppleALC, if it's possible, of course. Maybe a kext or something else to fix it? I don't have any idea. Would appreciate your help. Thanks for your answer. Also, I want to thank you for your patience too! 

-Regards, Dave.

You were misled. VoodooHDA is not bad kext providing best audio quality just 2dB lower than AppleHDA.

I don't know how to make the same patch with AppleALC. It is not a trick, it is other algorithm.

11 hours ago, Hervé said:

I have ALC255 on my Toshiba laptop; it's running Montery and boots with OC. I only get audio through VoodooHDA, not AppleALC so you may want to consider switching.

Hi, Herve.

I think the only left option is to switch from AppleALC to VoodooHDA, right? I am gonna try this out and I'll keep you updated. Thanks for your patience again.

-Regards, Dave.

4 hours ago, Slice said:

You were misled. VoodooHDA is not bad kext providing best audio quality just 2dB lower than AppleHDA.

I don't know how to make the same patch with AppleALC. It is not a trick, it is other algorithm.

Hi, Slice.

I understand what are you trying to say, and I am agree with you. I'll try to switch from AppleALC to VoodooHDA. I will keep you updated. It's fine if there's only one option that could make the microphone work, then I'll choose it. Thanks for your patience again. 

-Regards, Dave.

Edited by davieees