[HELP] Boot order in the picker: macOS first before Windows and Linux without custom entry

miliuco

11 posts in this topic

Good morning. @antuneddu and I are looking for a way to put the macOS entry (or entries) first in the Picker without creating custom entries for Windows and / or Linux, letting OpenCore automatically detect file systems.
But we do not find the way to do it.
Does anyone know how to do it? Is there this possibility? Without creating Custom Entries.

Thanks.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Does anyone know how to do it? Is there this possibility? Without creating Custom Entries.

Bro I too would love to know instead of going the route of creating Custom Entries. If it's possible in Clover why not OC???!!!

• Like 2

I can give you a possibly even more complicated method than making a custom entry, but I think it matches your requirements.

Add small FAT partitions at the end of the hard drive, one per OS that you want to move, then move your boot files for each given OS (Linux, or Windows) from your ESP into the FAT partitions, in the order you want them to show. 20MB (NOT GB, MB), only, i.e. tiny is enough for Linux boot files, and 50MB for Windows.

If you use the new OpenLinuxBoot.efi driver then hopefully Linux is solved for you - the auto-detected distros will normally appear after macOS - so you'd only have to do this for Windows.

When partitioning any Mac disk with Windows on it, it is distinctly possible that you will need to run (just) the `gdisk` instructions from here afterwards, before Windows will boot again: https://macriot.com/mcrt/2014/12/08/windows-cannot-be-installed-on-to-this-disk-the-selected-disk-is-of-the-gpt-partition-style/ (these look worse than they are, and this is not an OC-specific thing anyway).

(OSes basically appear in raw disk partition order, which is how the Mac bootpicker also orders them.)

Edited by Bmju
  • Like 2

😆 Just tried, created 2 partitions at the end of the disk and copied the related EFI for Windows and Linux, delete the original ones

2013446296_Immagine2021-09-14194857.thumb.png.08cdc6dbedd1ad6cd130a0e8ce560f5a.png

Disabled the Entries in Misc and enabled the Linux drivers .... everything works but they are always ahead osx 😡

1989376843_Schermata2021-09-14alle19_56_09.thumb.png.b4ae9e26c712ba1f6f59549508afd91c.png

I put everything back as it was before, 😅  I wouldn't want to mess with partitions , @Bmju Thanks anyway for the tip 

Edited by antuneddu
  • Like 1

I use this on my own Mac - it does ... can!? ... work. That is your only disk, and the 3 versions of macOS are in the 3 'Altro'/'Other' partitions, right?

What I did (way back) to set it up was first install Windows, then move /EFI/BOOT and EFI/Windows to the small Windows boot partion; then install Linux, and move /EFI/BOOT and /EFI/Debian (I guess it would be) to small Debian boot partition. You will need an /EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi in each for this to auto-detect. You would also then remove any BlessOverrides you have in OpenCore.

If this is set up right it should show and work correctly in the Mac bootpicker, not just in OpenCore!

• Like 1

The  partitions " other " are M.rey, BS and Catalina (nvme)
Windows is on a separate SSD
as well  Linux on another drive
I boot everything from OC
I don't have BlessOverrides and I have removed Entries
Maybe the small partition should be created at the end of the disk where Windows and Linux are installed? ( I do not believe )

However it is not a problem 🙂  I am also fine with the declared Entries, it was only if the OC boot order was somehow re-established

Edited by antuneddu

You've created the small partitions correctly, at the very end of the disk.

It looks to me as if OC is still somehow detecting the other OSes from their ESP files, and not seeing them on the FAT partitions, as they really should show after macOS if so.

I worked out (or probably found, somewhere!) this trick for myself, for reordering in Mac bootpicker, before ever using OC. OC is basically aiming to detect boot options in the order that Apl does (hence there's not felt to be any need to allow reordering).

It might be worth stopping at the Mac bootpicker by holding ALT key on boot, just to see what it shows.

Edited by Bmju

5 hours ago, antuneddu said:

😆 Just tried, created 2 partitions at the end of the disk and copied the related EFI for Windows and Linux, delete the original ones

2013446296_Immagine2021-09-14194857.thumb.png.08cdc6dbedd1ad6cd130a0e8ce560f5a.png

Disabled the Entries in Misc and enabled the Linux drivers .... everything works but they are always ahead osx 😡

1989376843_Schermata2021-09-14alle19_56_09.thumb.png.b4ae9e26c712ba1f6f59549508afd91c.png

I put everything back as it was before, 😅  I wouldn't want to mess with partitions , @Bmju Thanks anyway for the tip 

The MX19 SSD show Apple Why?

• 1 month later...

Hi!  miliuco! 😉

So, no easy way? My quest is a bit different though: I have 3 MacOS partitions (10.11, 10.14 and 10.9 in that order) on my SSD, plus a few other ones on my HD, mainly used for backup or testing — no Windows or Linux.

I've recently switched from MacOS 10.11 to 10.14 (on APFS) and I was surprised to notice that my APFS partition appears at the end of the picker's list, after all HFS+ MacOS partitions on all the drives OC could find! 🙄

Not a big deal, but I'd find it more convenient to have it near my main SSD entries...

(Someone might find this setup a little bit strange, but I arranged my SSD that way because I've been testing 10.14 for a long time before actually switching to it, so 10.11 was my main OS, and I use 10.9 for legacy apps that I still need.)