Comet Lake UHD630 w/ 500-series mobos on Big Sur : blackscreen after verbose

王艺霖

4 posts in this topic

So I have successfully installed Big Sur on my machine, but sadly I cannot get iGPU to work properly.

If I enable whatevergreen, no matter what AAPL,ig-platform-id I use (I tried many different ones incl. the frequently mentioned 07009B3E and 00009B3E), it always goes to blackscreen after verbose.

If I disable WEG by adding -igfxvesa to boot-args however, the system loads into the desktop normally. But the framebuffer is unpatched (of course), showing 8MB VRAM.

I have read dortania's BLOG POST regarding 500-series mobo compatibility, in which he mentions 

Using CML IGPU exclusively will require manual connector patching. We did not test that thoroughly as IGPU-only configurations are prone to errors.

Then I have tried manually patching the framebuffer busid thru his GUIDE , but sadly no jazz.

After that I have searched online for similar use cases as mine - pairing a 10th-gen intel CPU with 500-series mobo and use iGPU only. I have only find two posts, and they have all met the same failure as me. 1ST POST 2ND POST

After that it came to me that it might need IMEI spoofing, just like the 6/7 series and SNB/IVB mismatch, for the iGPU to work.

I then found Intel's PCI-ID for all their recent IMEIs:

[Intel.NTamd64.10.0...16299]
; DisplayName               Section           DeviceId
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CBA        ;ME10.x - BDW/WPT-LP
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D3A        ;ME11.x - SKL/SPT-LP, KBL/SPT-LP
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A13A        ;ME11.0 - SKL/SPT-H
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2BA        ;ME11.6 - KBL/KBP-S
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A1BA        ;ME11.x - Purley WS SKL/LBG - Production
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A23A        ;ME11.x - Purley WS SKL/LBG - PreProduction
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9DE0        ;ME12.0 - CNL/CNP-LP
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A360        ;ME12.0 - CNL-H
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3DE0        ;ME13.0 - ICL-H
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_34E0        ;ME13.0 - ICL-LP
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_38E0        ;ME13.0 - ICL-LP
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_LKF_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4DE0    ;ME13.50 - JSP
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_18D3        ;ME13.0 - CDF
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_02E0        ;ME14.0 - CML
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06E0        ;ME14.0 - CML
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A3BA        ;ME14.x - CML-V
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A0E0        ;ME15.0 - TGL-LP
%TEE_DeviceDesc3%=TEE_DDI_x64_NO_COMP, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A0E4   ;ME15.0 - TGL-LP - HECI3
%TEE_DeviceDesc1%=TEE_DDI_x64, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43E0            ;ME15.0 - TGL-H
%TEE_DeviceDesc3%=TEE_DDI_x64_NO_COMP, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43E4   ;ME15.0 - TGL-H - HECI3

I checked IOReg on my hac rig, and it told me that my original IMEI device-id was 43E4, which matches exactly with the tiger point ID listed above.

I then tried to swap it into 02E0 (CML) / A13A (KBL, as there's nothing in-between for desktop), and verified in the OS that it was successfully patched, but none of them made any difference.

At this point I kind of have given up my hopes. I have stayed overnight for this, and all I got is an unfinished hackintosh rig.😔

Maybe I'll be better off selling my H510 motherboard and get a B460 instead.

Can anyone provide me with some insight on this? Or has anyone succeeded in making CFL iGPU work on a 500-series mobo?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

btw, I use VNC to remotely connect to my hac when there's no display.

Update:

Guys, after some extensive research, I've concluded that it's impossible to get CFL iGPU working on 500-series motherboards, at least for now, or at least it's out of reach for most of us.

To be frank, this isn't the first time that those kind of situations happen. Back in the days, HD2000 never had QE/CI support, despite HD2500, also a GT1 chip, had full support.

What this story tell us is that even if something in theory should work, it might not work anyways. So it's best of us to do enough research beforehand. Don't simply assume things like me, search if people had successfully done it already.

I've returned my H510M (since I've just got it for a day I can return it anyways), and re-ordered an H470M. I'll do an update on how that goes.