Options missing in Energy Saver prefpane

gorans

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm using OC 0.7.2 with iMac20,1 and Catalina.

Having problems with waking up every 2 hours with

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC PEG2 PEG3 RP04 (Alarm)

and tried tcpkeepalive 0, proximitywake 0, powernap 0... settings with no avail. However, that's maybe not in the OC scope as many other users have the same problem, even on real macs.

What I'm wandering about is my Energy Saver prefpane and missing options. The only two options there are "put hard disks to sleep..." and "wake for network...". If I recall correctly, there should be also a Power Nap and "prevent computer from going to sleep...", "Start up after a power failure..." options.

I tried deleting the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist but no change. Maybe it's ACPI problem but it's beyond my level.

Any suggestions?

SSDT-AWAC.aml

13 minutes ago, gorans said:

Hi,

I'm using OC 0.7.2 with iMac20,1 and Catalina.

Having problems with waking up every 2 hours with

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC PEG2 PEG3 RP04 (Alarm)

and tried tcpkeepalive 0, proximitywake 0, powernap 0... settings with no avail. However, that's maybe not in the OC scope as many other users have the same problem, even on real macs.

What I'm wandering about is my Energy Saver prefpane and missing options. The only two options there are "put hard disks to sleep..." and "wake for network...". If I recall correctly, there should be also a Power Nap and "prevent computer from going to sleep...", "Start up after a power failure..." options.

I tried deleting the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist but no change. Maybe it's ACPI problem but it's beyond my level.

Any suggestions?

SSDT-AWAC.aml 80 B · 0 downloads

Will there be the same observation if you boot with Clover?

27 minutes ago, Slice said:

Will there be the same observation if you boot with Clover?

I don't have a Clover setup for my rig.

7 minutes ago, Hervé said:

What you see in your EnergySaverPrefPane seems pretty normal to me for a desktop iMac20,1 profile. This is what I get on my old Vostro200 Hackintosh currently running with iMacPro SMBIOS:

EnergySaver_PrefPane.jpg

Check your Hibernation settings with Terminal command:

pmset -g

I want to add that I was experiencing something similar on that desktop in a not-too-distant past after I re-instated my wireless keyboard and mouse. I suspected a config issue with USB ports but could not find anything wrong. It turned out it was the wireless keyboard and mouse that caused the computer to wake if I did not turn them off when leaving the computer, those Bluetooth devices operating in HID proxy mode with a USB-based BT dongle. Once I started turning them off after use, the regular wake totally stopped. I don't know what you've got but it could be something similar with a USB-connected accessory.

To compare iMac17,1

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 21.39.14.png

But I still don't know dependencies.

1 hour ago, gorans said:

I don't have a Clover setup for my rig.

At your will.

My pmset -g is also missing some of the usual info:

pmset -g                                                  
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
 hibernatemode        0
 womp                 1
 networkoversleep     0
 sleep                30 (sleep prevented by coreaudiod)
 Sleep On Power Button 1
 ttyskeepawake        1
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 disksleep            0
 displaysleep         10

I don't have any bluetooth or WiFi, or wireless kbd/mouse.

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 20.53.59.png

Hmmmm - Interesting, for me using 19.1 SMBIOS in Monterey has 4 options. Plug in the USB Installer and an extra option is shown, remove the USB Installer and it goes back to 4 options.

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 22.06.59.png

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 22.08.18.png

• Like 1

Almost identical models but different options in Energy saver. What's causing this? BIOS settings? SSDT? Something else?

7 hours ago, gorans said:

Almost identical models but different options in Energy saver. What's causing this? BIOS settings? SSDT? Something else?

PlatformFeatures, FirmwareFeatures, ACPI settings, NVRAM variables or something else.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 5:30 PM, Slice said:

PlatformFeatures, FirmwareFeatures, ACPI settings, NVRAM variables or something else.

Here are my platform and NVRAM settings. I attached SSDT in first post.

platform.png

nvram.png

I am using iMac20.2 since I have an i9 10850K and I used to have this problem too. But it's gone now:

130210492_Bildschirmfoto2021-08-23um10_43_52.png.4250e179acdec180f56f8c6fdae8a3f7.png

I can't recall exatly how I fixed it but I think it was related to SSDT-PLUG.aml. Have a look at SSDT-PLUG.aml and check the pathe of your CPU. In my case it's _SB_.PR00. Next, run IORegistryExplorer and search for whatever your CPU is (the part of the path which is bold). Once you found the entry, select it and then clean the search term. Then you should see something like this:

2094736666_Bildschirmfoto2021-08-23um11_54_57.png.1fb9420f70f8a5226c5eb2284e7f2212.png

I think what's important besides having a working X86PlatformPlugin  is to have "X86PlatformShim" also. If think if this is missing PowerNap doesn't appear in the Energy Saving Settings.

Edited by 5T33Z0

Posted (edited)

Thanks 5T33Z0 for the info.

I don't have SSDT-PLUG in ACPI, I'm only using SSDT-AWAC.aml.

In IOReg this is related to CPU:

IOREG.png

I downloaded SSDT-PLUG for my motherboard from the github and I can add it to ACPI if it's necessary.

SSDT-PLUG.aml

Edited by gorans

No SSDT-Plug and SSDT-EC-(USBX) = no Proper Power management. You should follow the instructions on the dortania guide more carefully. Dump the dsdt and use ssdttime to generate SSDT-Plug and SSDT-EC, etc. for your system, integrate them in your efi and config and it should work as expected.

6 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

No SSDT-Plug and SSDT-EC-(USBX) = no Proper Power management. You should follow the instructions on the dortania guide more carefully. Dump the dsdt and use ssdttime to generate SSDT-Plug and SSDT-EC, etc. for your system, integrate them in your efi and config and it should work as expected.

Will do.

I used preconfigured EFI folder for my MoBo that I tweaked with serials and stuff, and everything power related was working good (P and C-states, sleep, wake, WOL, shutdown...). The only thing was that wake every 2 hours and it was happening on real macs also. Than I noticed the difference in Energy Saver prefs and popped the question here...

Just use the .aml files that came with that EFI and it should work again. Next,  I'd look for a thread/github about this board and check if someone has come up with a solution to this issue. Sometimes, issues like this cann be fixed an additional SSDT if it is not a macOS related issue.

6 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Just use the .aml files that came with that EFI and it should work again. Next,  I'd look for a thread/github about this board and check if someone has come up with a solution to this issue. Sometimes, issues like this cann be fixed an additional SSDT if it is not a macOS related issue.

I'm using aml files that came with that EFI. There was only -AWAC and -EC amls and, ony AWAC was enabled in config.
And just once more,to be precise: everything power related is still working (P and C-states, sleep, wake, WOL, shutdown...). I just stumbled upon this Energy saver differences when researching wake every two hours due to "process=mDNSResponder request=Maintenance" , but I think that that is related to mdnsresponder and power settings, not to the OC setup directly. And I think that I managed to solve this for now.

I posted the question to clear things up, to see the cause of different Energy Saver options for different people and to check that there is no more hidden problems related to this.
I will try some other ACPI setups from github that contain other aml files, just to se if Energy Saver options change, and report back.

Like I said: get SSDTTime, Dump the DSDT (in windows) and create your own SSDT-PLUG, SSDT-EC etc. And stay away from pre-configured EFIs if you don't know what they are doing exactly and if the documentation is bad. Creating a great working EFI is one thing. Documenting and maintaiing it is another. Creating my github for my EFI took months to get it right.

Edited by 5T33Z0
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I dumped DSDT with SSDTTime (linux) and created SSDT-AWAC.aml, SSDT-PLUG.aml and SSDT-EC.aml.
I also downloaded prebuilt SSDT-USBX.aml for skylake and newer from dortania. Everything into ACPI folder, added to config.

Now my Energy Saver looks like this:

Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 09.13.38.png

So ACPI setup is definitely responsible for ES differences.

Also, pmset -g is much more detailed:

pmset -g                                                     
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
 standby              0
 Sleep On Power Button 1
 womp                 1
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 proximitywake        0
 powernap             0
 networkoversleep     0
 disksleep            0
 standbydelayhigh     86400
 sleep                30 (sleep prevented by coreaudiod, coreaudiod)
 hibernatemode        0
 ttyskeepawake        1
 displaysleep         10
 tcpkeepalive         0
 highstandbythreshold 50
 standbydelaylow      86400

Now that I replaced and added aml files, is there anything that I should check that new setup is working perfectly?

Edited by gorans