Process "avatarsd" preventing automatic sleep...

Nightf4ll

3 posts in this topic

Anyone have this issue where this particular process prevents automatic sleep? I wasted days debugging USB ports and various potential hardware issues just to find out that none of it was the real cause. Whats worse, the process just keeps red-spawning... no way to kill it.

1004797914_Screenshot2021-08-06at16_45_54.thumb.png.a765332aa5bdbc55f6f633f192fdf57b.png

My current solution:

Creating a launch agent that kills avatarsd every 90 seconds, and sleep suddenly started working again. Here are the files if someone has the same issues. The .plist file goes into /Library/Launchagents and the ".periodic" bash script goes anywhere you want, just make sure to update the path in the .plist file. I assume you need to load the .plist file with "launchtl" (I personally used the trial version of LaunchControl.app to do it)

Periodic service.zip

Anyways, is there a more elegant solution to this?

Edited by Nightf4ll
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, miliuco said:

What's this process? Does it handle user picture in login screen?

I know I managed to stop it by logging out of Messages/Facetime, but on reboot it starts up again. I assume it tries to sync the avatar you choose across devices. Don't know why it's that aggressive and even prevents sleep. Syncing avatrs doesn't seem like a high priority task.

/System/iOSSupport/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AvatarUI.framework/Support/avatarsd 

• Like 1