CFG Unlock with mod. GRUBshell: AMI Bios supported?

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I want to unlock CFG on a Fusion 15 laptop with AMI BIOS following Dortanias Post Installation CFG Unlock guide.

I followed the guide to the letter and acquired the proper offset, but am unsure whether i should run the command "setup_var_3 0x6F0 0x00" because of some warnings I received:

IMG_20210730_124039.thumb.jpg.35eb0b8836c02a4099a5122ffabd1fb5.jpg

--------

setup_var_3 0x6F0

Looking for Setup variable...

var name: Setup, var size 12 var guid: ex87d643-eba4-4bb5 - a1-e5-3f-3e-36-b2-0d-a9

GUID does not match expected GUID, taking it nevertheless...

successfully obtained "Setup" variable from VSS (got 7 (0x7) bytes).

Too small variable detected ignoring.           <--- is var 0x6f0 ignored?

var name Setup, var size 12, var guid: ec87d643-eba4-4bb5 - a1-e5-3f-3e-36-b2-0d-a9        <--- is this some random variable after 0x6f0?

GUID does not match expected GUID, taking it nevertheless...

expected a different size of the setup variable (got 4937 (0x1349) bytes). Continue with care...

successfully obtained "Setup" variable from VSS (got 4937 (0x1349) bytes).       <--- can I trust this message, was the correct offset loaded? (value seems to fit: 0x01)

offset 0xf60 is: 0x01

The guide says UEFITools can only open ASUS, MSI, ASRock firmware. I was able to open the AMI firmware correctly. Still, is AMI BIOS supported by GRUBShell? The guide says nothing about this.

So, can I trust that the correct variable was loaded or will it overwrite some random value instead of 0xf60 (possibly bricking my laptop)?

Are these warnings to be expected? Just want to be sure as I am changing my BIOS. Thanks for any help! 🙂

12 minutes ago, LIMITANT said:

Only setup_var 0xXXX 0x00 in your case " setup_var 0x6f0 0x00 " 

Commands in your screenshot is wrong ... 

For example my extraction: 

In my case as shown below 0xC8A with 0x00 to disable " setup_var 0xc8a 0x00 " without quotes

Hi, thanks for your quick reply! 🙂

But I got "error offset is out of range.." when using "setup_var 0x6f0"

According to Dortania I should use the command where that error does not occur, right?

Can I ignore those other warnings (GUID etc.), will the proper offset be changed?

--------------

My Offset in Bios.txt:

0x3DF00 One Of: CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x6F0, Var Store: 0x1

QuestionId: 0x230, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 BC 03 BD 03 30 02 01 00 F0 06 10 10 00 01 00}

14 minutes ago, Slice said:

I am not sure that GRUBShell has a relation to our forum.

We have a ControlMSR.efi tools that can be launched from UEFI Shell from OpenCore or from Clover.

ok, if that works that solution is fine with me too.

I might try ControlMSR.efi when I have more time tomorrow. Is there a guide for it?

Thanks for your reply!

8 minutes ago, 10110 said:

Ah, that looks interesting, specifically for AMI Bios, I'll check that too. 🙂

Thanks!

I don't remember where this tool come from but you'll find a post here: https://www.win-raid.com/t3993f16-Tool-Guide-AMI-Setup-IFR-Extractor-AMISetupWriter.html 

Fred

Edited by FredWst