macOS 12 Monterrey Beta on VMware Workstation 16 + Intel CPUs supported questions

5 posts in this topic

1) Guys, anybody here running the new macOS 12 Monterrey Beta on VMware Workstation 16.1.x on Windows 10 PC/laptop, the way we currently are able to run mac OS 11.4 Big Sur, as well as older 10.15 Catalina?

2) Seems some older Mac models are dropped from support in the new macOS Monterrey.

Does this mean some older Intel CPUs also cannot run the new Beta OS on VMware Workstation, on Windows 7/8/8.1/10 OS?

IF so, what are the newest Intel CPUs that are now NOT supported anymore?

What are the oldest ones that ARE supported?

My Intel CPUs here (and PCs/1 laptop) are quite old. My main VMware testing PC has Windows 10 OS, 32 GB of RAM to be able to run many VMs at once, but CPU is quite old -- Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge (4 cores, 4 threads).

On my HP workstation laptop, CPU is slightly newer & faster -- Intel Core i7 4900 Haswell (4 cores, 8 threads).

Will any of those, or both of those run Monterrey? OR do I need something newer, such as Intel 5th gen Broadwell series/etc? 

Edited by Naki
Grammar/spelling + clarifications

@naiclub -->

* Networking should work, but for this on macOS Monterrey Beta NEW extra edits needed to VMX file, where it says:

Lastly, a VERY IMPORTANT unusual step

https://blog.eucse.com/how-to-run-macos-monterey-12-beta-in-vmware-fusion/

* GPU and audio acceleration has never worked for macOS/Mac OS X VMs on VMware Workstation on Windows 7/8/10 OS, with macOS Unlocker 

IF you need any of that, VMware is not the way.

On 6/30/2021 at 3:12 PM, Hervé said:

CPU requirements for Monterey remain unchanged from previous macOS versions. As usual, it's GPUs that suffer from abandonment. You'll find more details in the existing Monterey testing thread, look it up.

Great! :) Thanks for letting me know.
I was getting worried this might be the "end of the road" for my VMware Workstation testing PCs here, mostly on Ivy Bridge and Haswell platforms. :) 

I will try getting Monterrey Beta working here in the next few days.

I was not able to find the thread you mention. :worried_anim:

Could you please tell me the thread name, and forum section it is located in? 

Edited by Naki

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 5:22 PM, Hervé said:

:whistle: you can't miss it, there's only one and it's visible from the forum main page.

Thanks, all fine. :) macOS Monterey 12.0 Beta 3 and now 4 too are running well on my 2 Intel Ivy Bridge desktop PCs, one with a Core i5 4-core CPU (no HT), and one with a Core i7 (4 cores/8 threads).

Also fine on slightly newer Intel Haswell on my HP Z17 Workstation laptop as well. :) -->

img-2021-07-31-22-01-55.thumb.png.79d0cba707020061d6dd6b6cd919be9c.png

All computers running Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, ver. 21H1 + VMware Workstation Pro ver. 16.1.x (one of them on slightly older VMware 16.1.x version, for technical reasons).

Edited by Naki
Add screenshot

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 12:30 PM, matxpa said:

May be, but if you try with https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/41/36/071-90564-A_7W7WHLSY3Z/fx095l2r9n27ykzxmviuycydg88h86fjv7/InstallAssistant.pkg what happens ? (DL starts) so with https DL works.

Sorry but it does not work.

Downloaded this HUGE ~11 GB file, but when I run it on my VMware Workstation Pro 16.1.x macOS Monterey older Beta VM, running on top of Windows 10 64-bit, I am not getting anything useful, I am afraid.

It shows something that is 35 MB (?? Where did the 11 GB go?) in size, installs that -- whatever it is, then stops saying installation has been successful (green checkmark shows).

But then NO new Beta version gets installed, or offered? Any ideas what is wrong here, and why? :cry:

Edited by Naki

2 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

You might get help on the VMware thread, here it is off topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, thanks, could you please point me to that thread?

OR do you mean the Multi-booting and Virtualisation forum section?
(where I am a regular visitor/poster for a few years now :)  )

EDIT: OKay, actually it worked!
Doing this on my 2nd computer, a laptop, I noticed that an extra icon was added to my Applications folder named "Install macOS Monterey beta".

You did not mention this icon in your posts, so had no idea to look for one. :) Installing now, I will let you guys know how it goes.. Thanks again.

EDIT №2: Worked great on my 2nd PC here, with 32 GB of RAM:

image.thumb.png.6f40570c78e733d8408a5dededd5d443.png

Laptop with 16 GB of RAM ran out of RAM and did a BSOD on me (not nice!) so I had to roll-back to older VMware image saved in July 2021.

Trying a 2nd upgrade with Windows 10 OS Virtual memory settings changed slightly, hopefully no BSOD this time. :)

What memory size do you guys recommend? I have set 8 GB, but for a virtual machine seems this is too much, the app I need to test is quite small and does not use much resources. 

Maybe 5-6 GB of RAM set will suffice?

(I am not using Xcode on this VM -- only on my older, non-Beta Big Sur VM I have also.

That other VM needs a little bit more RAM, so that Xcode and iOS Simulator can run.)

Edited by Naki
grammar/clarity