OCvalidate errors

jefftr66

35 posts in this topic

Running OC 0.7.0 and it boot fine. When I run ocvalidate I get this:

OCS: Missing key Flavour, context <Tools>!

OCS: Missing key RealPath, context <Tools>!

OCS: Missing key TextMode, context <Tools>!

Web searches turn up very little. Like I said, it does boot and I do see these messages just prior to the Picker screen. Not sure if I need to do anything but bothering my OCD.

4 minutes ago, jefftr66 said:

Running OC 0.7.0 and it boot fine. When I run ocvalidate I get this:

OCS: Missing key Flavour, context <Tools>!

OCS: Missing key RealPath, context <Tools>!

OCS: Missing key TextMode, context <Tools>!

Web searches turn up very little. Like I said, it does boot and I do see these messages just prior to the Picker screen. Not sure if I need to do anything but bothering my OCD.

copy the entries from the sample.plist and add them to your plist

Schermata 2021-06-11 alle 21.13.55.png

• Like 2

I think I see the problem. What I've done the last few updates is take the sample.plist file and Shift-Cmd-Opt-R my OC folder to update ACPI, kexts, etc. But that seems to erase the Tools section. Is there supposed to be more in my Tools folder than OpenShell.efi?

I did re-download the 0.7.0 sample.plist. Tools section looks like this:

1167886504_ScreenShot2021-06-11at13_17_54.png.59182dcc3782901b2f8687582bee86fe.png

After Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + R and point it at your EFI/OC folder to perform a "Clean Snapshot" and this sample .plist now looks like this:

727917229_ScreenShot2021-06-11at13_15_38.png.059ae25fed2b1d2693caadc4f1737ea0.png

Edited by jefftr66

Some context would be helpful - I assuming the first screen is my config.plist. What is the 2nd? Or more specifically - what did you do to get to #2?

The attached config.plist is the same as I posted - is it supposed to be different?

Ultimately my question is - what is the proper way, step-by-step to update from 0.6.9 to 0.7.0? Because the steps I've been using the last few updates do not appear correct...

Edited by jefftr66

@LIMITANTI guess not. I must be stupid...even though my machine boots and I've been through multiple upgrades. So explain to me how to edit a config.plist correctly since you are an expert.

I never said I wasn't grateful - I'm trying to understand and learn. I'm following the directions in Dortania's guide - and it's not working. Obviously I doing something wrong but I don't see what it is. It must be obvious - so explain it to me. I am an MD and I've built multiple computers and even have a passing knowledge of Unix. So I think my feeble brain can follow your high-level instructions.

Just now, LIMITANT said:

Easy and simple

use sample.plist from OC 0.7.0.zip 

Compare your old config.plist with sample.plist 

Delete or add the entries you see are different 

Done ... ✔

So do you use this: After the config is opened, press Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + R and point it at your EFI/OC folder to perform a "Clean Snapshot":

16 minutes ago, jefftr66 said:

Some context would be helpful - I assuming the first screen is my config.plist. What is the 2nd? Or more specifically - what did you do to get to #2?

The attached config.plist is the same as I posted - is it supposed to be different?

Ultimately my question is - what is the proper way, step-by-step to update from 0.6.9 to 0.7.0? Because the steps I've been using the last few updates do not appear correct...

here on the right your plist the sample on the left 😉

Schermata 2021-06-11 alle 23.05.06.png

Edited by antuneddu
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LIMITANT said:

There are many tools to edit and modify plists ...

Don't use propertree to edit ; propretree have another job more than editing and modifying 

Use PlistEditor App ... search 

OK maybe that is my problem. However if ProperTree is not the preferred app - or requires extra steps - why is is recommended in Dortania's guide.

And do you hand edit your current .plist with the changes in the sample.plist? 

Edited by jefftr66

@jefftr66    as you can see with PlistEdit Pro I put mine and the sample close and see where the error that tells me ocvalidate
and I correct it in my plist
no one is stupid or good we're here to learn from each other someday I may need your help with something that escapes me👋

Edited by antuneddu
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, antuneddu said:

as you can see with PlistEdit Pro I put mine and the sample close and see where the error that tells me ocvalidate
and I correct it in my plist
no one is stupid or good we're here to learn from each other someday I may need your help with something that escapes me👋

Yes - I've always found this community to be supportive and I've learned a lot in the journey even though I have no programming experience.

My problems is when I update a kext or new OC version if I don't run the Snapshot command the changes don't get recognized but the config.plist. I'm kind of stumped how to resolve this. 

3 minutes ago, LIMITANT said:

Yes .... compare with eyes and add or delete by hands 

I apologize if i offended you , but i want to help you 

Have a good day 

Thank you - I do appreciate the help. But the process I've been using for a number of updates apparently is no longer valid. I'm trying to understand why and how to make an efficient and easy process to update. I always compare the sample.plist with my own but I didn't think I had to hand enter the changes. And my concern is once I run the Snapshot cmd it will erase the entries I made in the Tools section.

6 minutes ago, jefftr66 said:

Yes - I've always found this community to be supportive and I've learned a lot in the journey even though I have no programming experience.

My problems is when I update a kext or new OC version if I don't run the Snapshot command the changes don't get recognized but the config.plist. I'm kind of stumped how to resolve this. 

use ocvalidate to check our plist highlight any errors, the sample as a reference and a plisteditor to correct

Edited by antuneddu