Advice on Asus B560-F Gaming PC

surenmunoo

11 posts in this topic

Hi All, I bought this motherboard with an i7 11700K cpu and want to install Big Sur on it with open core. Has anyone done it before with this mobo as I cannot find anything about hackintoshing this board on the web. I pasted the link for the exact type of board I have. I also got the i7 11700K cpu. 

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b560-f-gaming-wifi-model/

8 hours ago, miliuco said:

@surenmunoo

Please add your mobo into your signature (user > profile). Thanks.

Done 

8 hours ago, Slice said:

I afraid the CPU is not supported.

After much searching last night it seems that I would not be able to use the igpu and would need to buy a graphics card but they are so expensive. any recommendations on a cheaper graphics card that will work

• Thanks 1

@surenmunoo

Very bad time to buy GPUs. I think that the cheapest option with excellent performance in macOS is RX 580 but if 8 months ago they cost approx. € 200-300 now cost more than 800.

A really cheap option is the Nvidia GT 710 2 GB model, there are several brands that still sell it for approx. € 40-60. It is automatically recognized by macOS, it does not need Nvdia drivers. But its performance is logically much lower than AMD's like the RX 580.

5 hours ago, Hervé said:

Before OP considers or envisages buying a cheap discrete graphics cards, he's got to keep in mind that his i7-11700K is an 11th gen Rocket Lake CPU and, as Slice stated above, those have no support in macOS, at least officially. Last Intel CPUs fitted to Mac computers by Apple were 10th gen Comet Lake (iMac desktops) and 11th gen Ice Lake (MacBook Air laptops).

There's a high risk that the CPU won't be supported by the macOS kernel and same for the rest of the hardware of the mobo due to lack of necessary drivers (chipset, etc.). Not to be be considered too lightly before spending money on a card that may not be usable at all in the end...

I have not assembled the 11th gen PC as yet and was planning to do it this weekend. Do you recommend taking it back and getting a 10th gen cpu. Maybe I can still use the same motherboard as it has some very nice features 

35 minutes ago, Hervé said:

No recommendation to make; it's entirely up to you once you compare the specs of that motherboard and its components with that of Comet Lake iMac computers ad assess likely compatibility. Know that those iMacs do not use iGPU-based graphics but Radeon discrete cards. If you search the forum, you'll see that many people have reported issues with Comet Lake iGPUs and failures to obtain graphics acceleration. Not all such iGPUs appear to be compatible. As such, proceed with caution. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for all the advice Herve. Seems like I will just return this and stick with my coffee lake as it works flawlessly for now and runs Monterey as well easy. 

23 hours ago, Hervé said:

No recommendation to make; it's entirely up to you once you compare the specs of that motherboard and its components with that of Comet Lake iMac computers and assess likely compatibility. Know that those iMacs do not use iGPU-based graphics but Radeon discrete cards. If you search the forum, you'll see that many people have reported issues with Comet Lake iGPUs and failures to obtain graphics acceleration. Not all such iGPUs appear to be compatible. As such, proceed with caution. Good luck.

Hi Herve, I managed to get the this computer to finally boot with the 11700K cpu using an Efi from Orilla website. Not everything is working, no ethernet, sound, bluetooth, wifi etc. I am using an edimax wifi usb to get internet connection. If I post the efi I was given would you be able to help me please. 

Just now, surenmunoo said:

Hi Herve, I managed to get the this computer to finally boot with the 11700K cpu using an Efi from Orilla website. Not everything is working, no ethernet, sound, bluetooth, wifi etc. I am using an edimax wifi usb to get internet connection. If I post the efi I was given would you be able to help me please. 

I forgot to mention that I installed the Nvidia GT710 as recommended by @miliuco, Im so exited 

• Like 1

Just to update this thread. Big Sur is running properly on my Asus B560-F with i7 11700K cpu. I am using the Nvidia GT710 Graphics card.  The only thing not working now is :

No IGPU

No wifi

Airdrop shows up but cannot locate any phones

Some USB 3 and 2 ports don't show up at all

Other then the above it is fully running, I can also boot Monterey but have no sound, network or wifi there. 

• 10 months later...