ALC 235 - Lenovo B40-70 Catalina Issue

sbhas2k

28 posts in this topic

Hello All

Glad to be a part of this community. I have recently installed Catalina using OpenCore 0.6.9 on Lenovo B40-70 (seems like an unpopular laptop, as not many installation). I got everything to be working fine, however Audio was an issue since beginning. I tried voodoo which worked partially as my mic was not picking the sound. 

As per the IOregistry explorer I got the below details

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HDAU@3

Hashwall ULT HD Audion Controller

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HDEF@1B

RealTek ALC 235 (8 series HD Audio Controller)

For ALC235, I tried all the layout id as instructed, but I was unable to get the audio working. It would be great if someone throw some light on this. Attaching config.plist & efi folder for reference. 

Thanks in advance

config.plist

EFI.zip

Edited by sbhas2k
attached efi folder

2 hours ago, Mirone said:

Hello, none of the Layout-Id's contained in AppleALC work for you? not even the Speakers?

Yes, you are correct. Only voodoo kext works 

Even I have installed windows in a different hdd just to check the ALC codec details and confirmed it was indeed 235

20210528_145437.jpg

Edited by sbhas2k
Added windows hardware details

17 minutes ago, wern apfel said:

The linux-dump shows only the digital codec. Do you see a device and have no sound? I think the issue is not AppleALC. An IOReg-dump could be useful.

Ioreg shows both intel hashwell hdmi and alc235. Will try to take a dump (as a result of trying multiple things my OS Is no longer booting:( )

1 hour ago, sbhas2k said:

Ioreg shows both intel hashwell hdmi and alc235. Will try to take a dump (as a result of trying multiple things my OS Is no longer booting:( )

I had another hdd with bigsur installed. Please find attached screenshots from IORegistry explorer (dunno the way to take dump) and dpci manager. 

You can see 2 entries for audio, one for intel hdmi and another alc235

Hope this helps. 

Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 4.54.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 4.55.25 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 4.57.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 5.19.39 PM.png

Edited by sbhas2k
screenshots attached

36 minutes ago, wern apfel said:

Try it with this SSDT, if you still see the HPET device in your IOREG try a different HPET fix.

SSDT-HPET-OFF.aml.zip 824 B · 2 downloads

Hi. I have included this ssdt and restarted. Please find attached IOReg export. Let me know anything else needs to be done or direct me on the correct path

ioreg_export_hdefoff.zip

17 minutes ago, sbhas2k said:

Hi. I have included this ssdt and restarted. Please find attached IOReg export. Let me know anything else needs to be done or direct me on the correct path

ioreg_export_hdefoff.zip 5.7 MB · 0 downloads

HPET is still there, try this SSDT. If you use Clover enable the HPET fix.

SSDT-HPET.aml.zip

1 hour ago, wern apfel said:

The second SSDT does not disable HPET, but assigns low IRQs. Show me the IOInterruptSecifiers.

How to get the interrupt specifiers? I have attached my efi folder if that contains the same. 

Attached IOReg output as well

EFI.zip

io.txt.zip

Edited by sbhas2k

8 minutes ago, wern apfel said:

It was very close, see screenshot. You already had that HPET-SSDT, but somehow it does not work. Can you upload your DSDT? Use MaciASL to save it.

Please find the attached. I tried to save, but it showed some compiler errors and failed to save. I exported the table set and also copy pasted into a text document. 

dsdttableset.acpi.zip io.txt.zip

17 minutes ago, sbhas2k said:

Please find the attached. I tried to save, but it showed some compiler errors and failed to save. I exported the table set and also copy pasted into a text document. 

Ok, try the SSDT first, if it doesn't work use the DSDT

ACPI.zip

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wern apfel said:

Ok, try the SSDT first, if it doesn't work use the DSDT

ACPI.zip 21.48 kB · 2 downloads

Awesome. I just tried the HPET off with layout as 3 and all are working as expected. Mic & Speakers :) Thanks a lot for your help. I will try the same with bigsur on another HD tmw. 

Let me know what we did for my knowledge. Also, it would be great if you direct me to any tutorials that will enable me to arrive to a similar solution :)

Also, my laptop doesn't go to sleep and restarts. Is there any kext that I can use? I can research for possible solution though  

Edited by sbhas2k

19 minutes ago, sbhas2k said:

Awesome. I just tried the HPET off with layout as 3 and all are working as expected. Mic & Speakers :) Thanks a lot for your help. I will try the same with bigsur on another HD tmw. 

Let me know what we did for my knowledge. Also, it would be great if you direct me to any tutorials that will enable me to arrive to a similar solution :)

Also, my laptop doesn't go to sleep and restarts. Is there any kext that I can use? I can research for possible solution though  

Ok, finally. Most tutorials recommend forcing HPET to use low IRQs, my experience it that disabling HPET also solve other issues. We can continue tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wern apfel said:

Ok, finally. Most tutorials recommend forcing HPET to use low IRQs, my experience it that disabling HPET also solve other issues. We can continue tomorrow.

Hi. Good morning. Any kext I can use to enable sleep/hiberation? Let me know. 

Just an update - Sleep is working fine on BigSur. Only difference is BigSur is on HD, Catalina is on SSD (Sata3). Would that be a cause fo sleep issue? 

Edited by sbhas2k
update