Macos Big sur running slow

earline1972

5 posts in this topic

Please remember that you are in a public forum, a bit of courtesy is always welcome. It's always nice to start by saying "Hi" or "Hello" before asking a question or seeking help. Also a "thank you" would be appreciated, especially if the help you get is effective.

Macos big sur was running perfectly fine on vmware 15; until I updated to vmware workstation 16 and updated to Windows 20H2 . Now it's running slow, I can barely put in my password to login. What is the issue here?

Thanks in advance

Edited by earline1972
courteous

You might want to consider changing only one thing at a time to narrow down any issues.

Why not revert to vmware 15 and see if that improves your situation.

What is your ram and available disk space usage for windows when running the VM?

What is the ram and disk space usage for Big Sur within the VM?

Alternatively, install mac OS natively if your hardware supports it.

Thank you for your response.  I have way more than enough ram(128 GB).  When I update to Win 20H2, vmware 15 said, would no longer run.  16GB for vm same as before and disk space is 300 GB.  Every is the same as before just the Windows update and the vmware update to 16 is when it went wonky.  Wish I never would have update to 20H2, update sometime break software that was working properly. 

On 5/27/2021 at 4:44 PM, earline1972 said:

I removed windows update 20H2, removed vmware 16 and reinstalled 15.5 and now everything is working fast again.  Thanks again for your response.

Suggest you investigate running mac OSs in VMs on linux rather than windows, as the integrity of the underlying operating system is important.

In consideration that CentOS 8.3 is apparently going to be supported only until the end of 2021, and replaced with CentOS Stream, a predicate OS to RHEL, you may want to consider Alma linux or Rocky Linux as your base operating system. 

https://almalinux.org/

AlmaLinux OS is an open-source, community-driven project that intends to fill the gap left by the demise of the CentOS stable release. AlmaLinux OS is a 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL® 8 guided and built by the community.

As a standalone, completely free OS, AlmaLinux OS enjoys $1M in annual sponsorship from CloudLinux Inc and support from other sponsors. Ongoing development efforts are governed by the members of the community.

https://rockylinux.org/

Rocky Linux is a community enterprise operating system designed to be 100% bug-for-bug compatible with America's top enterprise Linux distribution now that its downstream partner has shifted direction. It is under intensive development by the community. Rocky Linux is led by Gregory Kurtzer, founder of the CentOS project. Release Candidate 1 is now available for testing.

You may also want to test the stable version of OpenSUSE.

Edited by HenryV
correct typo