Voodoo HDA audio and screen lighting setting not working on BS 11.3.1

zazman

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have an issue after BS 11.3.1 installation from scratch. I use Clover R5133 on my toshiba satellite L50B : core i7 and Intel HD4400, Audio is connexan hardware who worked only with voodoo HDA, never succed to make it to work with apple HDA extension.

Both worked properly with Catalina and after i updated to BS, i went to BS 11.2.3 with updates, but had a reboot issue with 11.3.1 update, so i decided to clear all and installed BS 11.3.1 from scratch.

All is working properly, except Voodoo HDA audio, HDMI audio/video output and screen lighting setting who are not working anymore. (Night shift option is ok). Here is my EFI folder.

for audio, I removed voodooHDA 2.9.2 release i tried first and installed voodoo for clover R2.9.6, but same issue, same result with 2.9.7.

When i try to launch voodooHDA prefpanel, it says impossible to load panel.

Capture d’écran 2021-05-17 à 10.00.43.png

Capture d’écran 2021-05-17 à 10.01.46.png

Capture d’écran 2021-05-17 à 10.02.13.png

Capture d’écran 2021-05-17 à 10.03.07.png

EFI.zip

Edited by zazman

Thank you for all explainations,

The exact reference of my computer is : Satellite L50-B-1N2, part number PSKTAE-09000QFR.

The second line of config/Graphics reports to the second internal GC, AMD Graphic chipset, not used, never been working in MacOS (no kext loaded).

The sound chipset is identified as Conexant in Clover boot menu/option/audio setup (tested and working with F7 key into clover).

I tried to manage other things in config.plist you mentioned, but same issue.

For HDMI, how and where can i modify this, is it possible to manage it in clover configurator app  ? :

Your config is missing the necessary properties injection that patch the Azul framebuffer for HDMI audio: you need to set con1 Pipe to 0x12 and con1 Type to HDMI 0x00000800:

framebuffer-con1-enable     1                           NUMBER
framebuffer-con1-alldata    010512000008000087000000    DATA
Edited by zazman

You're right, i do not manage a lot my configuration so i ask for advices for several years. I never succed to desable AMD GPU (not possible in BIOS) and yes it drains a lot my battery, so i more often use power adapter.

About location of the HDMI properties injection, I think someone sent me a config.plist file to test and i copied injection in my config file, but i have to admit i don't really know where injection taking place in clover configurator.

If we speaking of  fake ID in devices section (where is iGPU properties at Intel GFX), i don't read anything mentioning HDMI, except UseIntelHDMI in the right side's panel,  so i'm sorry to say i'm lost.

I cleaned my config.plist as you told me but i still having same issues, no sound, no screen lighting management. Maybe an older Lilu and WEG release may work ? Or i could try another SMBIOS, like MBP11,1,  i changed it to be compatible with MacOS BS as i moved from catalina.

It's weird my config did work well  with Catalina 10.7 and BS 11.2.3, what could explain that ? 11.3.1 install from scratch ?

OK thank you, i will inquire about conexant HDA, unfortunately no windows, but i will have a look with a linux live thumbdrive and add all in signature tomorrow.

I cleared config.plist file as you recommanded and put here in attachment.

I still having a problem about content of devices tab : i can't identify  what is GPU1 (HD4400) and GPU2 (AMD) and what is 3th entry in left tab :

firsr line : all about framebuffer con1 was commented, i enabled them, but if you look into config.plist, con2 existing too, i kept it commented it at it is.

437164252_Capturedecran2021-05-18a17_50_51.png.0e9b7c4467725ef226d85c35e1e1b927.pngMD) in left side of tab :

1259621869_Capturedecran2021-05-18a17_49_29.png.aac1a1cbd4e91e28e72a0f14faa28b52.png175667104_Capturedecran2021-05-18a17_49_53.png.ef838ef8c0b9935fe49f4cdc282e7469.png

config.plist.zip

Things going on ! HDMI video now working :) Thank you very  much !

i changed SMBIOS to MBA 6,2

still no screen lighting setting

i removed all files concerning voodoo HDA and installed AppleALC.kext (+ alc-verb +  AppleALC.kext.dSYM) in C/K/O, fixed FixHPET in clover configurator/ACPI  and put inject 3 (tried 13 too) in devices -> inject -> audio

I had a look at the xml layout files, but i don't know how to include #3 or #13 layout into config.plist. Is it the goal ? or maybe is there another way to inject xml audio layout ?

thanks

Yeaa, sound working, better quality than with voodoo extension :)

i mean internal speakers/headphones (automatic detection) and integred microphone, i don't have hdmi audio out yet, i will check tomorrow, with brightness control.

Merci :)

Edited by zazman

HDMI audio on Haswell laptops also usually requires to rename B0D3 ACPI device to HDAU, if your DSDT shows such a device.

On 5/18/2021 at 6:39 PM, Hervé said:

Unfortunately B0D3 isn't in my DSDT patch list. I used rename device button  and tab in CC/ACPI to add B0D3 in the left column and HDAU in the right one. Not sure if it was enough, because nothing has changed after that.

But in fact, HDMI audio is not a real priority for me, internal sound now working well and i also use USB external sound cards for multitrack recording on this computer.

2 other things would be better for me to work properly :

into my device/properties PCI config :

#1 -> PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0) = integred GPU (intel HD4400)

#2-> PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x03,0) = discrete GPU (ADM260) ->all lines commented

#3-> PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0) = HDA audio @ layout 13

What i want to do first is to disable discrete GPU to avoid it to drain battery :

What instructions should i inject for PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0) #2 to desable discrete GPU ?

The second important thing for me would be to make britghness setting cursor visible on the screen control panel in system preferences.

you spoke to me of keyshortcuts but I think keys shortcuts can't work if britghness setting feature isn't enabled into MacOS.

- I tried to change WEG release, actually 1.4.9 but tried also 1.4.8 and 1.4.7 without any succes.

- I tried to change SSDT-PNFL.aml : i was using yours, tried the old one i got before but nothing changed, so i put yours again.

- i put SSDT-PNFL.aml at second position in the sorted order tab in CC/ACPI, first one is SSDT-EC.aml

I was using Applebacklighfixup.kext in previous macos (Mojave or earlier) but no need to use it into Catalina, it woked by itself, so i don't think it may help into BS

Do you have another ideas about that ? Updates from Catalina to BS 11.2 let it to work, 11.3.1 fresh install broke it.

• 4 weeks later...

SSDT-PNLF is incorrect: GFX0 instead of IGPU -> rename

Done, but no effect yet

IOReg shows device HDAU; maybe you did not look... In your config, just uncomment the associated property mentioned above.

That's what i have for B0D3 to HDAU ,  There isn't actualy  any comment regarding to HDAU in config.plist :

<key>RenameDevices</key>
        <dict>
            <key>B0D3</key>
            <string>HDAU</string>
        </dict>