Catalina installed 10.15.7 but not having Admin privileges

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

its been a week with no solution so far, have installed 10.15.7 on AMD machine (Asrock X570 Creator / 16 Core Ryzen 9 5950X / HyperX 64GB 2400MHZ DDR4 / Asus Radeon VII)

looks OK, BT is working, network is OK WiFi NOT working, TB is working! BUT I have many issues with system admin user privileges which I don't have for some folders mainly for "System" folders 

I am an Admin user, I have tried to create a new Admin user, re-install different version of Catalina but every time it is the same.

Also when I click on "security and privacy" in system preferences it get stuck and crushing the app.

instaling Apps - OK but will fail to load if no access to system file

I am loosing ideas, is anyone know how to make it work?

You are aware that, in Catalina, the system folders are locked in read-only mode by default and that you need to remount root in RW mode to be able to modify anything, right?

What about SIP?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Hervé said:

You are aware that, in Catalina, the system folders are locked in read-only mode by default and that you need to remount root in RW mode to be able to modify anything, right?

What about SIP?

Sorry but I did not know that and I don't know how to o this....can you please let me know how to do this?

SIP is disabled

Thanks

It's something that has been pretty widely reported in various publications and forums when 1st versions of Catalina got out and the way to switch to RW mode has also been readily available for the last 2 x years...

sudo mount -uw /
sudo killall finder

• Like 1

Thanks!

I did that and after booting the OS refuse to load, lines of codes running for hours very slowly… I think it’s something in EFI folder strange 

I have backup so I restored install and I’m at stage 1 again, maybe perform this as a single user? From USB install? 
 ill try this and report 

thanks 

9 hours ago, ellaosx said:

it was more of the things you did after the 2 commands that caused the not booting.

I did a restore and tried again now I'm getting:

mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Operation not permitted

mount: / failed with 77

17 minutes ago, ergot said:

I did a restore and tried again now I'm getting:

mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Operation not permitted

mount: / failed with 77

OK SIP was disabled from some reason...anyway I was able to perform this however "security&Privacy" is crushing/stuck PC...