Laptop Drive's Device Node Changes After Reboot

mnfesq

2 posts in this topic

I have two storage drives on my laptop -- a 1 TB SSD and a 2 TB SSHD (Hybrid Drive).  I have macOS on the SSD and Win10 on the SSHD.  I have EFI partitions on each drive; the Win10 boot manager on the SSHD and Clover and Open Core boot managers on the SSD.  I know this is needlessly complex but I do all of my testing on my laptop and refuse to use external drives with a laptop.

The issue I have is that the BSD for my 2 drives changes from time-to-time when I reboot.  Sometimes the SSD is disk0 and sometimes it is disk1 and visa versa for the SSHD.  Here's what I see in Hackintool:

Top.thumb.jpg.1d3cacb8643d67f2d082afc9e04d6607.jpg

Bottom.thumb.jpg.6bc86af0c6991f0186a66faa889c29f5.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and whether it affects the reliability of my laptop's ability to boot properly?  

Edited by mnfesq

It appears that this occurs as a result of code used in Unix-based systems.  This post might be more properly located in the bootloaders section of this forum, and it impacts Clover and OpenCore equally.

Here is an article I found about it: https://www.thegeekdiary.com/inconsistent-device-names-across-reboot-cause-mount-failure-or-incorrect-mount-in-linux/

I have found that this problem will sometime prevent me from booting OpenCore but that I can usually work around the problem by shutting down the system and restarting.