Question About Whatevergreen and PCII_IntelHDGraphicsfix

makk

4 posts in this topic

It seems that the combination of newer machines and new OS that more stuff has to configured into Whatevergreen to handle the several different graphics devices causing some issues.  

As it is designed to be a Universal driver which we know what the end result becomes.  Headaches

For Intel based Graphics would it be better to have a specific kexts just for it?

HD

UHD

The other ones.

Tuned.

Edited by makk

10 hours ago, Hervé said:

Rehabman's PCIID kexts and its plugins have been deprecated for several years now. You may only use them for USB2/USB3 multiplexing but certainly not for Intel iGPU graphics. Lily + WEG is the way to go and has been for many years now. That's about it.

Why do you write/what do you mean about headaches? WEG has been extensively documented: both on its GitHub pages and user manual:

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

Thanks Herve,

I understand documents. But I also understand the end results of programming that takes on too much and it blows up. Kaboom. History full of lessons.

The hardware if it was a few is not so  bad. But since it is more than a few, have to write a lot.  Simplicity is better than complexity.  

As the old saying goes K.I.S.S. Keep it simple ...... . There's a reason for this saying, because it is true.  Not saying you or anyone ....... 

I find that specifics is better.  I have Intel HD Graphics. A Universal driver cannot possibly handle all the specifics. 

Couple this times however many different types of Graphics cards there are.  Exponential takes over here.   Kablooey happens. 

I prefer a depreciated by document that takes care of specifics rather than a Universal which does not.

Depreciation doesn't always fair well when their are evident tradeoffs loss for gain of something that is useless in the end>
But these guys know what they are doing.  And it does work. But however through improvements we can hope to get all the parts working well and gain optimal performance.

There are points over looked to take care of other Graphics. Your driver would end up huge in size if you did take care of each specific of each Graphics card.  Simple solution is to have specifics as others have done.  

For instance difference between the different bootloaders.  

What works in one of these doesn't work so well in another and vise versa. Tradeoffs which then the user has to decide based on what works for their unit.  There are plenty of Clover hacks and kexts and so on that is for years worth that anyone with trial and error can get their system up and running and all working.  Years worth. Why waste it?

Silly

Edited by makk

12 hours ago, Hervé said:

I believe you're mistaken on the purpose of those kexts. Neither FakePCIID & PlugIns, nor WhateverGreen are drivers per se'. In the case of Intel graphics, the drivers are those provided by/built in macOS. In basic and very summarised simple terms, FakePCIID and WEG are patchers that make adjustments in terms of hardware properties in order to influence drivers behaviour. WEG may be considered as similar to FakePCIID & PlugIns (whose very names are pretty explicit), just but far more powerful. I would never call WEG generic, given that it has specifically been updated over the years to address each new generation of Intel iGPU. To me it's more a "one-stop shop" rather than a "generic" thing.

Anyway, given that the Intel Hackintosh story has reached an end (at Ice Lake/Comet Lake), Apple having engaged in dropping Intel in favour of Apple Silicon, no significant further development will take place on the Intel iGPU front. What you got right now is most likely to be what you'll ever get.

Thanks Herve

Yes patchers is what I meant.

WEG is good thing. I was running FakePCIID & Plugins completely but resorted to removing most of them.

I'm still running FakePCIID.kext and the Mux.

I wonder if I can remove it and what will change and what will I have to change in the config.plist?

I would say that as far as for Intel gone I would say.  Pretty much like the Machintosh days coming.

Probably 12.0 and above.  M1 ARM lightweight graphics nice. 

But I'm sure someone will find a way.

AMD is example of hack to go.

FakeARM.kext

Thanks for you knowledge always a good explanation.

Thanks Herve'

I am not sure I what to do as  I had no power to USB ports previously when I updated to Mojave from High Sierra.

If I do remove the Mux what can I do to assure power to the ports? (darn spell suggester in browser is annoying)

Here's what I have, there's an SSDT-4x0G2b.aml that is an hotpatch with the necessaries for the hardware.

XOSI, LPCB.EC, Battery, Audio so forth. It works in concert with the renames or changes in ACPI>DSDT>Patches.

The config.plist has about 35 patches ACPI>DSDT>Patches, without most of them have problems.

The patching is pretty extensive so that the system runs adequately? 

The problem I encountered because of these patches, is the USB portion as of late. (Previously IGPU and HDEF and HDAU.)But I was able to reset this and disable after cleaning out NVRAM several times and rebooting a few times. Lingered around a few boots.

When I disable the renames or changes as it is Clover, for ECO to EC and EHCI01 02, Trackpad does not engage no trackpad, Battery Icon disappears and the battery portion in Sys Pref stops functioning.

But the USB properly separates into readable in IOREG and in System Report. 
NOTE: I don't get this while ECO to EC is enable and EHCx to EHOx enabled readouts in System Report and IOREG main page but in the other ACPI section as EHO1 shows up there with UIAC and USBX.

EHO1 02 the USB2 EHCI and USB3 XHC. And plugging in the USB sticks into the perspective ports shows up in IOREG in each USB 2 or 3.

With the Mux I got power to USB. I'm wondering if I remove the Mux disable the ECO to EC changes, and EHC1 2 

this would bring proper readings in IOREG and System Preferences? Have you encountered this before?

Thank you!

Edited by makk