Mouse and keyboard not working on Big Sur (OC: 0.6.8)

np44

14 posts in this topic

I successfully installed Big Sur on T3500 with smbios MacPro6,1, but i'm stuck at the login window. Mouse and keyboard do not work, but when I plug the usb receiver for them the mouse lights up for some seconds and then goes off.

I tried the IOHIDFamily patch (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/troubleshooting/extended/userspace-issues.html#keyboard-and-mouse-broken-in-big-sur) but after booting with -s i wasn't able to type again.

The mouse and keyboard receiver is not Bluetooth. It's just a regular 2.4G mouse and keyboard combo with vendor MOSART Semi. (vendor id 0x62a, product id 0x4101.

The patch is correct, here's my config.plist.config.plist

Specs:

Dell Precision Workstation T3500 (Nehalem)

CPU: Intel Xeon W3530 Quad Core

Chipset: Intel X58/ICH10

RAM: 16 GB DDR3 (1333MHz)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GT 710 (2GB) [GK208]

LAN: Broadcom BCM5761 (14e4:1681)

Audio: Analog Devices AD1984A

Motherboard: Dell 09KPNV

USB: Intel 82801JB ICH10 (2xUSB2/EHC, 6xUSB2/UHC), 8086:xxxx - I have 8 USB Controllers total.

I disabled usbmap and added usbinjectall to test somebody's advice, but it didn't work. Now I removed usbinjectall and enabled back usbmap.

Any idea for the original issue I have?

I enabled ReleaseUSBOwnership and dropped USBMouseDxe and I was able to type in both single user mode and at the login screen, but after about 10 seconds after login the mouse and the keyboard stop working. On Catalina I had this issue, but after unplug and plug again they worked, but on Big Sur this doesn't work. On Catalina I was able to find out via the Console under system log when exactly they froze and it's when macos checks for updates right after login, also tried going to Software Updates and they freeze again as soon as the checking for updates begin.

5 hours ago, np44 said:

I enabled ReleaseUSBOwnership and dropped USBMouseDxe and I was able to type in both single user mode and at the login screen, but after about 10 seconds after login the mouse and the keyboard stop working. On Catalina I had this issue, but after unplug and plug again they worked, but on Big Sur this doesn't work. On Catalina I was able to find out via the Console under system log when exactly they froze and it's when macos checks for updates right after login, also tried going to Software Updates and they freeze again as soon as the checking for updates begin.

What if you connect other mouse? They can die.

Same thing happens. The problem is described in my previous reply.

Tried plugging in a usb drive after they freeze and it appears on the desktop.

3 hours ago, pico joe said:

disabled serial port on bios

This solved the issue, thank you!

• Like 1

The mouse and keyboard are freezing when I go to Settings > Software Update. Unplug and plug doesn’t fix it.

I did some experiments with thr SMBIOS and I wonder which one I should use with my x58.

With MP6,1 and SSDT-PLUG - XCPM is working, but Computer Sleep is missing in Settings > Energy Saver, Night Shift is present in Settings > Display.

With MP5,1 without SSDT-PLUG and boot with -no_compat_check - XCPM is not working as expected, Computer Sleep is missing again, Night Shift is missing too.

With MP5,1, SSDT-PLUG and boot with -no_compat_check - The boot process is stuck at IOPPF: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement mode.

Should I also use ssdtPRGen at all?

4 hours ago, Hervé said:

Xeon W3530 is Bloomfield, i.e. the Xeon equivalent of 1st gen Core i7-9xx. As such, I don't believe that SSDT-PLUG or XCPM applies. Afaik, these would normally require the old Generate P States/Generate C-States that OpenCore does not support. So, I doubt that you can actually obtain proper CPU SpeedStep/management under OpenCore. I expect all you would get right now is LFM and HFM but nothing in-between. But don't hesitate to infirm if required.

ssdtPRGen is Pike R Alphas generator script that applies to CPUs starting at Sandy Bridge only. It does not apply to earlier generations such as Bloomfield Xeon. Sandy Bridge Xeon CPUs are Westmere generation.

As a reminder:

• C2D/C2Q/1st gen Core "I" CPUs usually require Generate P-States/Generate C-States for full CPU power management
  • Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPUS usually require AICPUPM patching (laptops at least) + generated SSDT (with Pike R Alpha's ssdtPRGen script) for full CPU power management.
  • Some Ivy Bridge CPUs did support XCPM but I don't know if that still is the case. It certainly stopped working on my Dell Latitude E6230 ages ago.
  • for Haswell & later CPUs, power management is handled by the kernel. Many if not most systems require the KernelPm patch. Only these systems can use the PlugIn type model for CPU power management, with SSDT-PLUG type of table or other bootloader settings.

Well, MP6,1 with ssdt-plug - xcpm works  which according to your post should not. Shutdown and sleep are working, but reboot doesn’t.

I have another drive with Mojave and Clover and power management is working on it, I have checked options for generating c & p states there. Is there a way to transfer them or I should move back to Clover (which I really prefer not to)?

Also are there any workarounds or guide for generating manually these C&P states?

I wasn’t able to get the LFM with AppleIntelInfo.kext, because kextload fails to load it with - Authenticating extension failed: Bad code signature

• 2 weeks later...

I've been facing almost the same issues, while was tryin to connect them via Bluetooth connection. And I don't know is it still relevant to you and your kind of problems with connectivity, but you can visit this site ( link: https://setapp.com/how-to/quickly-fix-mac-bluetooth-not-working ), and check out options and variants, that author wrote down. It's an article of the common problems, that may occur on MacOS and it's interconnection with Bluetooth devices.

Edited by leon15K
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
The solution for me was to turn FileVault off.

I have two partitions on my machine, one that has a mouse and keyboard problem, which we will call the DIRTY version, and the other partition which does not have the mouse and keyboard problem which we will call the CLEAN version. I noticed that the dirty partition had FileVault ON, while the clean partition had FileVault OFF. As a test I turned FileVault ON on the clean partition and lo and behold, the mouse/keyboard issue suddenly appeared. To be clear, let me explain again. The clean computer had no problem with the mouse and keyboard, but when I turned file vault on, it suddenly had the mouse and keyboard issue.

Conversely, I went back to the DIRTY partition and turned FileVault OFF. IMMEDIATELY the mouse/keyboard issue went away. The mouse and keyboard now function normally on the previously DIRTY machine.