11 posts in this topic

SMCHelper bears no relation to Firevault per sé. Run any recent Clover installation package and read the information provided when you select SMCHelper; you'll then know what the module does... Rest is up to you.

5 hours ago, ellaosx said:

Hi

I am using FakeSMC and I don't use FileVault. Do i still need SMCHelper.efi to be installed in drivers folder?

SMCHelper makes your Hack is more similar to real Mac although you don't see significant differences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Slice said:

SMCHelper makes your Hack is more similar to real Mac although you don't see significant differences.

More similar in which way? Can you elaborate on this? What does it do/add exactly?  Binary name Changes? Adding entries to IO Reg?

• Sad 1

What SMCHelper module does is explicitly stated when you run the Clover installation app if any of you would care to check.

@Hervé

So to you a one sentence answer included in the pkg installer / clover configurator answers this question?

Sorry to inform you: it does not!

And: I would highly appreciate if you stopped using subliminal sarcastic remarks like "if you would care to read" as if we are lazy or something. If you don't have anything productive to add to the discussion – which you hadn't – just don't anwer at all! Since you don't seem to be capable of giving a useful answer (besides sarcastic remarks trying to belittle people), I just used bing translator trying to translate from the official russian documentation:

"SMCHelper.efi creates an AppleSMCProtocol protocol that should interact with the SMC Chip, and get information about the state of the periphery from there. We've made an emulator that returns the values that are expected of it. Clover itselt and FakeSMC, which retains the keys in NVRAM, are responsible for filling real content if FakeSMC is worth it with such a feature. All this is necessary primarily for FileVault2, but also has an impact on the system without it. There is no return of the keys to the system, as there are doubts about the feasibility of this. There is an external alternative to VirtualSMC from vit9696, with its own laws."

Doesn't really tell much about how this makes a hackintosh more like a Mac, but it's an answer at least…

• Sad 1

Given your recent abusive behaviour and subsequent sanction (after also believing you'd been called "lazy" when you weren't), I suggest you tone down a little and stop the paranoïa. As for everything else in life, a minimum of homework is expected in the world of Hackintosh but too many people don't even bother and opt for other people to do this work for them; I ain't the 1st one to say so and certainly won't be the last one either. Whether you accept this fact or not is a matter entirely for yourself but please stop crying foul and/or play the outraged every time someone hits your highly sensitive cords.

If you want to know about SMC keys (and FakeSMC), I suggest you start digging into readily available information that goes back to the days of Netkas (and Kozlek and Rehabman). Plenty of info available for sure and you would be well advised to read some of the threads written on the matter (some by Slice) on this very forum a few years ago. When it was 1st introduced, SMCHelper driver was described, here at IM, by Slice himself, so...

Now, to answer the OP's question since spoon feeding appears required. It's exactly as I said.

SMCHelper.jpg

Another thing to do is consult the .inf file of the SMCHelper driver in Clover's source code.

You know, I  wrote the manual for Updating Clover to the latest version with implementing Quirks. That thread has 20k plus hits now. I have currently 2 systems running with various macOS versions using  both Clover and OpenCore. I hink I've done my fair share of "homework"…

This one sentence Answer – which I knew already –  doesn't answer anything in regards to how "SMCHelper makes your Hack is more similar to real Mac."

Since the automatic translattion of the manual wa more fruitful than anything you said about the matter, I just leave it at that.

• Sad 1
18 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

More similar in which way? Can you elaborate on this? What does it do/add exactly?  Binary name Changes? Adding entries to IO Reg?

Added SMC keys into system at startup. Useful or not it is a question but I prefer to do this than do nothing.

• Like 1

Well, SMCHelper was introduced since FileVault2 was enabled. In some cases it is used at hibernation wakeup and even at simple start.

• Like 1

With a most basic Google search on "SMCHelper driver"... :whistle:

Should be obvious and self-explanatory that adding SMC keys made a Hack closer to a real Mac, just like setting specific SMC key values of selected SMBIOS model brought native CPU power management on, say, C2D/C2Q Hacks with Chameleon/old Clover versions (c.f. 2013 thread "Performance tuning with FakeSMC" at OSXL).

• Like 1