Sandy Bridge-E Power Management [Big Sur 11.2.1] && [Big Sur 11.4]

verdazil

59 posts in this topic

The latest patches (751AB9 to EB1AB9 and 3E7539 to 3E9090) still work in Monterey 12.5, but you'll need to use ASPP-Override.kext to prevent X86PlatformPlugin.kext from matching onto the CPU, due to a change in 12.3+.

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/blob/main/payloads/Kexts/Misc/ASPP-Override-v1.0.1.zip

Edited by InferiorYeast
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke too soon about the latest patches still working in Monterey 12.5. I believe they are actually broken from around 12.3. Trying to update the system or even boot an installer (any boot process that mounts a dmg, it seems) fails or kernel panics with them active.

The previous patch 751AB9 to EB1AB9 changes a conditional jump instruction (75) to an unconditional one (EB), so that we skip over reading MSR 0x1AE (which our CPUs don't have).

Sometime around 12.3, the binary was changed so that the code that we are skipping over not only reads MSR 0x1AE, but also sets a variable. Previously, that variable was unconditionally set later on.

So we need new patches that will skip over the MSR read, but still set the variable.

The following seems to work:

751AB9 to EB11B9

EB064531E4 to EB034531E4

3E7539 to 3E9090

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you!!! @InferiorYeast, @Riley Freeman.  I've tested the patches on HP Z420/620/820's with Sandy Bridge CPUs (V1 version of E5-1600/2600 Xeon's) and they work great, with full working CPU power management (11.5.7 - 12.5.1). I don't need to use ASPP-Override.kext for 12.5.1.  With Ive-Bridge Xeon's (V2 versions), no patches are needed from 11.5.7 and above, in my cases. Of course, proper CPUPM files must be generated with ssdtPRGen, for all above cases.

With the newer patches, now I can use these HP machines (2011 boot block date with V1 support only) to its full potential. Before, I had to flash the BIOS chip with a hardware programmer to enable V2 CPU support, which is not easy task to accomplish for average folks.

Update (9/23/2022): I put all patches in one place, with version controls, so correct patches are loaded depending on which version of OS is used (Catalina - Monterey).

Patches_For_SandyCPUs.plist.zip

Edited by Bill Huang
Added patches file

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 8:44 PM, Bill Huang said:

Thank you!!! @InferiorYeast, @Riley Freeman.  I've tested the patches on HP Z420/620/820's with Sandy Bridge CPUs (V1 version of E5-1600/2600 Xeon's) and they work great, with full working CPU power management (11.5.7 - 12.5.1). I don't need to use ASPP-Override.kext for 12.5.1.  With Ive-Bridge Xeon's (V2 versions), no patches are needed from 11.5.7 and above, in my cases. Of course, proper CPUPM files must be generated with ssdtPRGen, for all above cases.

With the newer patches, now I can use these HP machines (2011 boot block date with V1 support only) to its full potential. Before, I had to flash the BIOS chip with a hardware programmer to enable V2 CPU support, which is not easy task to accomplish for average folks.

Update (9/23/2022): I put all patches in one place, with version controls, so correct patches are loaded depending on which version of OS is used (Catalina - Monterey).

Patches_For_SandyCPUs.plist.zip 1.17 kB · 2 downloads

Hi Bill,

you replied to my post on reddit but perhaps you're more active here.

Can I just add all these patches to my config.plist and leave them enabled and version control will take care of the patches based on installed OS?

No other mods necessary aside from properly generated SSDT using ssdtPRGen? 

Thanks for sharing the file and everyone's hard work.

2 hours ago, Careless said:

Hi Bill,

you replied to my post on reddit but perhaps you're more active here.

Can I just add all these patches to my config.plist and leave them enabled and version control will take care of the patches based on installed OS?

No other mods necessary aside from properly generated SSDT using ssdtPRGen? 

Thanks for sharing the file and everyone's hard work.

Yes. Just add these patches to your config.plist. Version control entries will take care of the correct patches to be used at boot time.

Goodluck!

Edited by Bill Huang

• 2 months later...

Someone can help me?

I run BigSur 11.7.1, OpenCore 0.8.6

With these 9 patches (1-7) And (2 fro 11.4) my box run extremely slow, CPU stuck forever at 1.2Ghz (I attached IPG screenshot).

MOBO: Gigabyte X79-UD3

CPU: i7-3820

Without these patches CPU stuck at 3.7Ghz (sure this is better 🙂 but not for power consumption)

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 0.51.05.png

On 11/26/2022 at 7:41 AM, verdazil said:

Hi!

@Bahir, this means that the CPU PM does not work for you at all.

Look in the IORegistryExplorer app, what do you see in this place?

Show me your EFI and hardware list, it will be easier to understand.

In the IORegistryExplorer I see the same as you.

Also attached my EFI folder. In it the values of Kernel->Patch that make CPU always 1.2Ghz, i.e. they enabled.

RAM:  32GB (4x8) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) 

GPU: NVidia GeForce GT 640 2Mb

SSD: Samsung EVO 870 1Tb 

MacOS: BigSur 11.7.1 (I'd rather install Monterey but I'm not sure it'll work with my GPU/Fresco USB)

2041490521_ScreenShot2022-11-27at14_36_52.png.e38cec6a070915b8ca9598fca6a13c7e.png

Edited by Bahir

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, Bahir said:

In it the values of Kernel->Patch that make CPU always 1.2Ghz, i.e. they enabled.

@Bahir,  this topic does not apply to setting up for such a processor and such a motherboard...