Big Sur 11.1 > 11.2 upgrade - Clover 5129 - Legacy Bios

mickeyd453

5 posts in this topic

On my good old trusty Optiplex 980 running an iMac 16,1 SMBIOS everything works well. I have had to use OC to actually install BS via an update from Catalina and setting msu-product-url nvram variable but once running i can switch back to clover and the machine runs really well. I also have working emulated nvram in clover.

The issue is that even though i have emulated nvram the only way to update this machine is to boot back into OC and update that way. Clover will not update the machine and results in the attached which happens just before the machine reboots. As you can see its an nvram setting issue but i wonder if its possible to manually inject the required nvram variables prior to the upgrade. I cant run this machine using OC for day to day use as the CPU is so old that power management is not supported in OC therefore performance is very poor.

Has anyone ever managed to run upgrades of BS using Clover on a machine with emulated nvram? I dont imagine so but worth a shot. This machine although old still performs really well! Worst case is i boot from OC and update and then boot back via clover but would be nice to know if this can be made to work.

IMG_4653.thumb.PNG.0896d756ba5e069ae24816a317ea8f0e.PNG

• 2 months later...

Not quite sure if it's new Clover R5133. I actually update form Big Sur 11.2 > 11.4 Beta 1 with Clover two days ago without expectation. LGA775 (G41/X3330) with Legacy system. 

I did Big Sur fresh install with a real MacBook Pro and move SSD back to my PC, and boot with Clover without issue. (after many failures).

Did a CCC and make a update testing Clover, since I thought soon or later I will have to did system update. and update is quite slow but the result is supinely working. 

Again, I am not sure if that's because of newer version Clover or new BS update, and not a expert. just like to share my experience

2021-04-25.jpg.2736810720714496e492298faeb9c135.jpg

Edited by JerryLee

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2021 at 10:04 PM, JerryLee said:

Not quite sure if it's new Clover R5133. I actually update form Big Sur 11.2 > 11.4 Beta 1 with Clover two days ago without expectation. LGA775 (G41/X3330) with Legacy system. 

I did Big Sur fresh install with a real MacBook Pro and move SSD back to my PC, and boot with Clover without issue. (after many failures).

Did a CCC and make a update testing Clover, since I thought soon or later I will have to did system update. and update is quite slow but the result is supinely working. 

Again, I am not sure if that's because of newer version Clover or new BS update, and not a expert. just like to share my experience

can u share the EFI? 

On 4/25/2021 at 2:04 PM, JerryLee said:

Yes - since maybe 11.2 i can upgrade in BS without needing to revert to OC in order todo it, it works as normal and i have not updated Clover version.