OpenCore, Nvidia 9600M GT and High Sierra

9 posts in this topic

I am trying to get working this old graphics card. it works with boot args nv_disable, but no acceleration. So I did everything according to the OpenCore Nvidia Legacy manual but still no luck.

Tried different things from forums still same.

When I boot without nv_disable args then the laptop display turns off and stays black. Also no output to HDMI.

Nvidia part in the config.plist

<dict>
			<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
			<dict>
				<key>model</key>
				<string>GeForce 9600M GT</string>
				<key>device_type</key>
				<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
				<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
				<data>AAAAIAAAAAA=</data>
				<key>rom-revision</key>
				<string>Dortania</string>
				<key>NVCAP</key>
				<data>BQEAAAAACQACAAAAAAAACwAAAAA=</data>
				<key>@0,compatible</key>
				<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
				<key>@0,device_type</key>
				<string>display</string>
				<key>@0,name</key>
				<string>NVDA,Display-1</string>
				<key>@1,compatible</key>
				<key>@1,device_type</key>
				<string>display</string>
				<key>@1,name</key>
				<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
			</dict>
		</dict>

The card is Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT 512MB. Main display laptop screen. Also has HDMI and D-SUB. HDMI and Laptop screen both stay black when trying to boot.

For the NVCAP calculation I used attached bios.

9600MGT.rom

I also see from the log that the nvidia lines get added:

08:543 00:052 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):model - Success
08:589 00:046 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):device_type - Success
08:637 00:047 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):VRAM,totalsize - Success
08:681 00:044 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):rom-revision - Success
08:740 00:058 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):NVCAP - Success
08:790 00:050 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):@0,compatible - Success
08:837 00:046 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):@0,device_type - Success
08:879 00:042 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):@0,name - Success
08:931 00:052 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):@1,compatible - Success
08:988 00:056 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):@1,device_type - Success
09:030 00:042 OC: Setting devprop PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0):@1,name - Success

Edited by ChazaX

Incorrect property for @0,name: should be "NVDA,Display-A", not "NVDA,Display-1".

This being, I very recently helped a guy configure his Acer Aspire 6930G old laptop for High Sierra (older Penryn C2D + nVidia GeForce 9300M GS graphics). He could never get full graphics acceleration if I tried to inject the nVidia properties through the Clover config, I had to inject them through a DSDT patch. Only then did he finally obtain graphics acceleration.

https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/14444-acer-aspire-6930g-what-to-install/

I would suggest you try that too. 

14 hours ago, Hervé said:

Incorrect property for @0,name: should be "NVDA,Display-A", not "NVDA,Display-1".

This being, I very recently helped a guy configure his Acer Aspire 6930G old laptop for High Sierra (older Penryn C2D + nVidia GeForce 9300M GS graphics). He could never get full graphics acceleration if I tried to inject the nVidia properties through the Clover config, I had to inject them through a DSDT patch. Only then did he finally obtain graphics acceleration.

https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/14444-acer-aspire-6930g-what-to-install/

I would suggest you try that too. 

Oh my god. It was that simple. I corrected that line and it is on the laptop LCD.

I will try to calculate new NVCAP line for testing.

• Thanks 1

Tried the previously calculated one and display worked. HDMI didn't work. Recalculated NVCAP and HDMI works like charm. So the final is:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
			<dict>
				<key>model</key>
				<string>GeForce 9600M GT</string>
				<key>device_type</key>
				<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
				<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
				<data>AAAAIAAAAAA=</data>
				<key>rom-revision</key>
				<string>Dortania</string>
				<key>NVCAP</key>
				<data>BQEAAAAAAQAGAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=</data>
				<key>@0,compatible</key>
				<key>@0,device_type</key>
				<string>display</string>
				<key>@0,name</key>
				<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
				<key>@1,compatible</key>
				<key>@1,device_type</key>
				<string>display</string>
				<key>@1,name</key>
				<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
			</dict>

I wanted also to get sound working. Confirmed my sound chip in linux and it was layout number 3. Then added it to the plist. Didn't work. I had to create in the ACPI folder SSDT-HPET.aml, then the number 3 layout worked kinda. The problem is that sound only comes out from the headphone jack, no sound from the speakers. How could I switch that?

Second question is how could i get sound from HDMI? I plugged in HDMI, but no output device came to the list.

Re: speakers: try to inject/cache CodecCommander kext or experiment with different layout ids for your codec, whatever that may be.

You may need additional property injection for HDMI audio. Check if you have an audio device attached to your dGPU in IOReg.

On 12/20/2020 at 12:35 AM, ChazaX said:

Tried the previously calculated one and display worked. HDMI didn't work. Recalculated NVCAP and HDMI works like charm. So the final is:

I wanted also to get sound working. Confirmed my sound chip in linux and it was layout number 3. Then added it to the plist. Didn't work. I had to create in the ACPI folder SSDT-HPET.aml, then the number 3 layout worked kinda. The problem is that sound only comes out from the headphone jack, no sound from the speakers. How could I switch that?

Second question is how could i get sound from HDMI? I plugged in HDMI, but no output device came to the list.

I can suggest you to use VoodooHDA for both sound chip and HDMI.

The link is in my signature.

On 12/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, Slice said:

I can suggest you to use VoodooHDA for both sound chip and HDMI.

The link is in my signature.

Thanks!

Swapped out AppleALC to VoodooHDA. The laptop speaksers started to work right away. HDMI sound worked also perfectly after changing output to HDMI.

• Like 1