OpenCore 0.6.4 'slow' compared to clover - how to debug

mickeyd453

3 posts in this topic

Hi

Now i have a stable legacy system running OC one thing that is apparent to me is that compared to _exactly_ the same system booted with clover the response of the system is pretty laggy and noticeably slower in everyday tasks.

What would be the best way to go about figuring out what is causing this lag in the system and then resolving it as at the moment i cant migrate from Clover to OC as day to day its quite unusable. Kexts are identical between Clover and OC.

As a very basic test i timed a diskutil command as i noticed that when running that it was visibly slower to complete. Data indicated a significant difference in response time.

OC
imac:~ mick$ time diskutil list
real    0m0.536s
user    0m0.183s
sys    0m0.116s
real    0m0.518s
user    0m0.182s
sys    0m0.115s
real    0m0.516s
user    0m0.182s
sys    0m0.119s

Clover
real    0m0.151s
user    0m0.038s
sys    0m0.041s
real    0m0.118s
user    0m0.038s
sys    0m0.030s
real    0m0.126s
user    0m0.038s
sys    0m0.034s

any clues as to where to start with this one?

cheers

7 hours ago, Hervé said:

It's probably because, unlike Chameleon/Enoch and Clover,  OC dos not integrate anything to support native CPU power management for pre-Sandy Bridge platforms, i.e. Generate P States + Generate C States.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/pm.html#enabling-x86platformplugin

-> stick to Clover (and probably Catalina) for the time being.

ah ok thanks - i missed that part of the documentation. This board does in fact run BS very well under clover so i guess i'll leave it be for the time being as its working well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 9:22 AM, mickeyd453 said:

ah ok thanks - i missed that part of the documentation. This board does in fact run BS very well under clover so i guess i'll leave it be for the time being as its working well.

actually - is there any way to get power management working for pre Sandy Bridge platforms? that documentation seems to indicate its not possible versus not 'built in' ?