Opencore 0.6.3 Mojave installer won't boot.

rmjohnson144

10 posts in this topic

I have been pulling my hair out trying to get my Asus Z390-F Gaming turned into a Hackintosh.

I found many guides and opencore looks very straight forward, but long.  I've failed 4 times.

I seem to get some progress each time, but I can't take it anymore.  lol

I was hoping I could get some troubleshooting advice, so I thought I'd post here.  Please move it to the proper forum section as I couldn't find an Opencore section, or if it is even allowed.

My rig is:

Asus Z390-F Gaming MB

i7-9700K CPU

32 GB Corsair RAM RGB CL16

Dell Vega 64 Video card

512 GB Samsung 970 Pro SSD

1 TB Intel P660 SSD

I have a Samsung Fit 32 GB USB 3.1, for installation media.

I am using Linux Mint and following a tutorial on YouTube (Chris Titus Tech).  But the video and linked guide don't match, so it confuses me.  Plus he goes way too fast.

I would be very grateful for any assistance.

And sorry if I'm in the wrong forums.

Here's my plist report from opencore.slowgeek.com

https://opencore.slowgeek.com/?file=coffeelake063YyNBI5&rs=coffeelake063

Here's my EFI folder for Coffee Lake CPU, as well.

EFI-mojave.zip

Edited by rmjohnson144
  • Sad 1

On 11/27/2020 at 9:01 PM, 1Revenger1 said:

Where are you getting stuck?
I'm not seeing anything wrong immediately, but it'd help a lot if you had a picture of where you are getting stuck or some other hint.

Here's where I am stuck.

Let me know if you need more info.

IMG_0003.JPG

15 hours ago, Alpha999 said:

Hello.
A person who was similarly in trouble on a Japanese bulletin board reported that the installation was successful.
The EFI at that time is introduced below.

OC064-Kext-Stable-i7-8700-Asus-IntelMausi-EFI.zip

(SMBIOS has been remade to prevent accidents)
Probably because it is based on i7-8700, I think it is iMac19,2. Also, although it is the same ASUS motherboard, I think that the USB map is different.
However, if you install from USB 2.0, I think there is no problem.
It's hard to notice the small mistakes of Quirks by myself.
Good luck.

I'll give this a shot.  It's a H370 vs my Z390, but a lot is similar.

Edited by rmjohnson144

On 11/28/2020 at 8:38 PM, Alpha999 said:

Hello.
A person who was similarly in trouble on a Japanese bulletin board reported that the installation was successful.
The EFI at that time is introduced below.

OC064-Kext-Stable-i7-8700-Asus-IntelMausi-EFI.zip

(SMBIOS has been remade to prevent accidents)
Probably because it is based on i7-8700, I think it is iMac19,2. Also, although it is the same ASUS motherboard, I think that the USB map is different.
However, if you install from USB 2.0, I think there is no problem.
It's hard to notice the small mistakes of Quirks by myself.
Good luck.

I got significantly further this time.  I was able to boot off USB and install Catalina.  I then booted in the Catalina drive and went through setup.

No sound, internet is fine, can't mount EFI to make changes though.

I booted into recovery mode and disabled SIP, then restart into Catalina again, and csrutil status says disabled from terminal, but I still can't mount EFI.

Do you use clover at all?  Now, when I launch opencore to the Cataline drive, I get a graphical representation of the drives, kind of like clover.

EDIT:

I played around a bit, I finally pulled all of my drives except my sata3 Catalina drive and it mounted a blank and empty EFI folder.  It is suppose to be empty and do I nee to copy my EFI from my USB drive?

Well, I tried just that, and my USB drive doesn't appear at all.

EDIT2:

None of my USB flash drives will show up in Catalina.

Edited by rmjohnson144

I got my USB flash drives working.  I had a custom EFI folder I downloaded and it had a USB all kext as it was for the z370 MB.  I edited config.plist to remove it.  but I still had the issue.  I thought it was weird, then I got to thinking the kext is still in my EFI folder.  So, I removed the kext from the UBS and I got my flash drives back.

Then, I got my EFI folders to mount in catalina.  Well, while I was browsing to fix the above issue, I came across a Technoli guide to on installing Big Sur the easy way, and it had a new tool called Opencore Gen X that is a semi-auto EFI installer/creator that also creates a config.plist.

https://github.com/Pavo-IM/OC-Gen-X/releases

So, I thought I'd give it a try in catalina since it was seeming working with SIP disabled. I created the installed fairly quickly since I understood the process better.  and Viola!  it worked and booted to the installer first try.

I shut down the system and swapped out the cataline drive for safe keeping, then installed another SSD and began the install.  It went smooth as silk and it installed Big Sur without a hitch.

Now, I'm getting started on finalizing the install and getting everything working.  Looks promising.  That OC Gen X app works wonders.

OK, I am stuck again with SIP.  The installer sets it to 00000000 which in enabled.  So, I can't seem to edit my config.plist on my Big Sur drive.  

I try to boot into recovery, but it doesn't seem to trigger.  I have a windows keyboard.  I tried the windows key + R and the control key + R without success?

Do I need an actual Mac keyboard?  or is there an alternate key combo?

I have another SSD, maybe I'll try to do this again, but create the installer with SIP disabled, sound enabled, and other stuff I need enabled.

The guide said just copy the EFI from USB to Big Sur, then edit config.plist.  so, that doesn't seem to work.  He was also installing to Haswell chipset, which almost all guides use.  I wish someone had a complete Coffee Lake CPU guide

I am making slow progress and now in Mojave.  I set my csr setting in confilg.plist to 03000000 and it disables half of it.  I can now mount the EFI, but now I have an issue with it recognizing my installer USB drive.  It sees my other flash drive just fine.  I can't see the opencore flash drive at all so I can copy the EFI from the flash to the boot drive, so it will start itself without the flash drive.

What would make the boot USB disappear?

A side effect, now my two of my other flash drives won't even try to boot from BIOS anymore.  I can see them when I get to Mojave desktop, but they have no partitions of any kind and seem like just formatted disks without names.

OK, I dded more USB devices to to try and mount EFI, then my mouse started flaking out.  It doesn't seem to like very many USB devices installed at once.

I removed all drives except bootable usb and fresh installed SSD only.  I turn on PC and boot the USB and I get to the Mojave desktop without issues. 

The usb drive shows up on the desktop.

I then mounted the EFI of the boot drive and it showed up in Finder and looks like an HDD.

I mount the EFI of USB drive, but it doesn't have the USB logo and just the plain manilla folder icon.  I open the folder and it has the correct config.plist with all of the changes, including all of the Mac serials and stuff.

I shut down and pull the USB then turn it on and it boots directly to the desktop now!

It is a bit laggy, but very usable.  It takes like 30 seconds before it will take my password though.

I installed Steam and plays a couple of my games fine. (Cities: Skylines and Subnautica).  Slight lag compared to windows, but that is expected.

Thanks for everyone's help.  There is a bit of fine tuning needed in the guides, so I still need to make sure to match all settings from the guide, not just the ones in red.  A lot of the guide has hidden stuff and links to other stuff, and you need to follow them all and take your time.  I finally figured this out disabling SIP in the installer USB drive.  Otherwise SIP is enabled when you install MacOS and there seems no way to boot into Recovery mode.