Comet Lake CPU kernel panic (Big Sur installation boot)

YoMuS

9 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I've been trying to install Big Sur in my brand new desktop (i5-10400, Asus h470, igpu) following to the letter the dortania guide for this platform with no luck.

I always get stuck at this point. It appears to be a CPU related. IoPlatformPanicAction -> AppleSMC and the Fault CPU is the only thing I can get anything to work with. I'm using iMac20,1 as advised, and chose the BIOS settings suggested in the guide (except for Execute Disable Bit, which is not present as an option).

Anyone has a clue? Thanks in advance!

KP.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've exactly the same problem! Somehow my Hackintosh throws a kernel panic while booting Big Sur USB Installer. I've tried other USB-stick, Working EFI from OC (0.6.2) Catalina Installer to Big sur installer. Same fail. I've swapped failing OC EFI-folder (OC 0.6.7) and put on to Catalina Installer.; no problems. It boots. I've ditched all custom SSDT's and used files for Comet Lake on Dortania guide along with USBInject.kext. Still same problem.

I've played with config.plist settings. Still no luck. Debug kexts traceback to VirtualSMC. I believe a dev over here explains tracebacks to VirtualSMC is most likely not VirtualSMC itself. So now stuck. What the heck is wrong?

IMG_2233.jpeg

IMG_2230.jpeg

Edited by myradon

On 3/19/2021 at 8:04 PM, myradon said:

I've exactly the same problem! Somehow my Hackintosh throws a kernel panic while booting Big Sur USB Installer. I've tried other USB-stick, Working EFI from OC (0.6.2) Catalina Installer to Big sur installer. Same fail. I've swapped failing OC EFI-folder (OC 0.6.7) and put on to Catalina Installer.; no problems. It boots. I've ditched all custom SSDT's and used files for Comet Lake on Dortania guide along with USBInject.kext. Still same problem.

I've played with config.plist settings. Still no luck. Debug kexts traceback to VirtualSMC. I believe a dev over here explains tracebacks to VirtualSMC is most likely not VirtualSMC itself. So now stuck. What the heck is wrong?

IMG_2233.jpeg

IMG_2230.jpeg

Well maybe you're in luck, because I finally discovered what the problem was. One of my USB devices (bluetooth dongle), was causing the kernel panic. As long as I booted the system without it, the installer goes through without any issues.

Try disconnecting every non-essential device. Bye!

Edited by YoMuS

1 hour ago, YoMuS said:

Well maybe you're in luck, because I finally discovered what the problem was. One of my USB devices (bluetooth dongle), was causing the kernel panic. As long as I booted the system without it, the installer goes through without any issues.

Try disconnecting every non-essential device. Bye!

I can't believe it! You're 100% right. I removed several USB-devices.. no luck. I was "okay last resort. Let's unplug genuine Apple USB Bluetooth device" which I soldered on internal USB-header. Boom installer.....WTF! Would apple have dropped support? But would it throw a KP? Odd! Thanks @YoMuS

23 minutes ago, myradon said:

I can't believe it! You're 100% right. I removed several USB-devices.. no luck. I was "okay last resort. Let's unplug genuine Apple USB Bluetooth device" which I soldered on internal USB-header. Boom installer.....WTF! Would apple have dropped support? But would it throw a KP? Odd! Thanks @YoMuS

Is it a Dlink DBT-120 usb bluetooth adapter? That's exactly mine