APFS disks may not be used as bootable install media. Help

loganMac

2 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I like to do clean installation on Big Sur 11.0.1 usb bootable.  I formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map.  Formate was successful.  I type below code but it's always gave me error.  

% sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB

Password:

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/USB.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y

APFS disks may not be used as bootable install media.

An error occurred erasing the disk.

But if I use below, it works but when doing the installation, Clover v5126 did not see Big Sur drive.

% sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB\ 2

Edited by loganMac

Previously, with beta Big Sur it was possible to launch the installer from Catalina and have the initial copy over of files done prior to the first reboot.  With full installer of 20B29 it appears that install app now needs to be initiated from within Big Sur although the app could reside on another hard drive partition as opposed to a USB installer.

In a previous post it was related that full installer for 20B29 applied to an existing Big Sur beta did not result in an install/upgrade entry in the open core boot menu after the first or subsequent reboots.

It was necessary to boot into recovery mode and bless a new snapshot.

After the next reboot the desktop initialized and the build number was updated to 11.0.1 (20B29).

The snapshot volume was approximately double in size.