Migrating from Clover to OpenCore for newbies

macky1

5 posts in this topic

I have successfully moved over to OC. I have some observations  for  those that are contemplating the same.

The first thing you need to do is know your hardware. Using an excellent App like  Hackintool.

The next thing is to read the entire Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide pdf. The next thing to take note of is the section pertaining to Intel Desktop config.plist. This section is very important as it relates to your specific motherboard settings.

Create a bootable USB Stick.

Once that is out of the way you can use a few apps to help your transition to OC.

1. Latest OpenCore version.
  2. Latest OC Gen X APP (Will create EFI & Config.plist) Copy to your USB Stick’s EFI folder.
  3. Text Editor (PlistEdit, OpenCore Configurator, Xcode)
  4. Hackintool (To create USBPorts.kext)
  5. Xcode (Used to recompile AppleALC as I use the SPIDIF (Optical Out) on my motherboard.
  6. Clover Configurator or another App to Mount the EFI Partition.

I have three different OS installed Windows,Catalina/BigSur,Linux and everything works great with OpenCore as the bootloader.

Note, I do not have or use a DSDT.aml as this I believe will cause issues with Windows and other OS.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank each of the developers for their excellent apps and support.

Good luck.

Note, I do not have or use a DSDT.aml as this I believe will cause issues with Windows and other OS.

I think you might be wrong.
As far as I arrived, there was no DSDT.aml. It can cause problems with blocking the BIOS. Can't enter Windows Which I have tried (In conclusion, if there is or is not a problem, anyway)

this post is like pop-ups advertising on browsers, but just an adblocker and passes the noise

the same things can be said with other boot loaders

that you work windows, it's more of a case than a functional targeted solution for everyone.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks 5T33Z0  for your input, much appreciated.

The easier it is for everyone to convert to OpenCore the better in my view. 

Clover over the years has given us much but the switch to OC is a must. Having to play around with Clover’s front end and OC’s bootloader together will be difficult and messy in the future imho.

Edited by macky1