Very odd problem, fresh install.

exsub

6 posts in this topic

So here's the deal.

I install OS X x86 from dvd installer on a seperate harddrive (80gb)... the installation goes fine, i setup my account on the welcome screen and later on i set a password.

I then start to setup my osx86 and get it working on the internet BAM! problem, i go into the control panel (well, you know what i mean) and i enter the internet connection section. I am greeted with all fields/buttons greyed out with a padlock on the bottom left. it tells me to click the padlock to change settings, so i do so and i get comfronted with the username/password. I enter my username and pass and it tells me that i need to 'enter an administrator username and password'.

I then go into accounts, and check my account, again - all fields/buttons greyed out and i have the padlock bottom left. i look at my account and it says "standard" below it.

I go into netinfo and try to enable root user, no luck (need to be an administrator for that!) i click authenticate and i look around in netinfo for anything useful, i see the root user with the password as root. i then look at my own account and try to change the password, i then click the padlock again and it tells me i do not have access.

Then finally i try going into terminal and typing sudo su

It tells me and i quote

"Last login: Wed Oct 12 18:01:19 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ sudo su

Password:

eXs is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported."

my password i put in is my password i set, i did also try my username with root, and a username of root with password as root, no avail.

thanks a lot if you can help me, if i can just get a administrator account i shall be sorted, or even convert my accout to administrator i'll be on my way, as it stands now, im completly stumped. i can't change any settings, i can't even save files anywhere other than my documents!

oh one last thing..

i have macdrive, so if i can externally edit the files from here (windows) to make my account admin that would be good.

thanks.

Here, another attempt.

Last login: Wed Oct 12 19:40:04 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ sudo bash -l

Password:

eXs is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ bash -l

exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ switch root

bash: switch: command not found

exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ root

bash: root: command not found

exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ sudo passwd root

exsubs-computer:~ eXs$ sudo passwd root

It seems im talking to myself here, but ill carry on updating my progress.

I tried using macdrive 6 and edited the passwd file. removed the * so i was left with :: instead.

After that i tried switching user again in terminal, no luck.

then i used -s on darwin boot up, got to the command line ( no GUI loaded up ) and it seemed i was in the root account, the little commands i knew worked, i then switched from root to my account (default one, standard-not administrator) and i then tried switching back to root and it wouldn't work, said 'sorry'.

It looks like you have been struggling a lot with this. after you went in & edited your passwd file I don't know what might or might not work, but have you tried the first & most obvious thing? Changing the root password?

in terminal, type

passwd root

it should then ask you for *your* password, enter this

then it will ask you for the new password for root, which you enter twice.

If you have already tried this, then perhaps

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...findpost&p=9220

might work.

Good Luck.

Oh it's all sorted now, all i needed to do was set a password... I done this by booting from the bootable osx86 disc, and resetting password, i put a password on both accoutns, and then i was able to click 'other' from login window. After i was logged in as root i set my account to administrator and i was sorted :)

hope this helps anyone who has encountered this problem.