VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.6 (16341506) Mac SLOW

9 posts in this topic

Using 15.5.6 build-16341506 of VMware Workstation on Windows 10 x64 2004 with latest updates. 

Mac VM's boot but are VERY SLOW. 

Also, when my Mac VM's are running the host CPU is very high.

I am using Unlocker 3.0.3 from https://github.com/BDisp/unlocker/archive/3.0.3.zip

I have the latest (I think) VMware Tools installed.

SMC.VERSION = 0

Not sure what to do next?

Any advice?

Thanks,
Paul.

Edited by pparisi
added note
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So very sorry for the long delay on responding - apparently post notifications are not working.

I have a Asus X99A-USB - Mac has worked under VMware workstation previously. 

Yes I do have Hyper-V enabled in Windows. I was excited to use both given the new capability in the latest VMware Workstation release.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 4:11 PM, pparisi said:

So very sorry for the long delay on responding - apparently post notifications are not working.

I have a Asus X99A-USB - Mac has worked under VMware workstation previously. 

Yes I do have Hyper-V enabled in Windows. I was excited to use both given the new capability in the latest VMware Workstation release.

Unfortunately, while VMware and Hyper-V can get along now, running macOS in VMware with Hyper-V enabled causes poor performance.  Try disabling/removing Hyper-V and I think that you will find that it performs as significantly better.  Hopefully a workaround for this is discovered eventually.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if there is a way to "disable" Hyper-V. I know I can uninstall it...

I have three Hyper-V services running:

• HV Host Service
  • Hyper-V Host Compute Service
  • Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management

Stopping the HV Host Service or the Hyper-V Host Computer Services -- says: When the HV Host Service stops these other services will also stop: Application Guard Container Service, Container Manager Service.

If I stop both of these and then the Hyper-V Host Compute Service... the Mac VM is still very slow, and the entire machine is very slow. Stopping the Mac VM and machine returns to normal.

As far as Windows Features, the following are installed:

• Guarded Host
  • Hyper-V Management Tools
  • Hyper-V Platform
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
  • Windows Sandbox

Thoughts on which ones should be uninstalled... are welcome.

Thanks for your help trying to sort this all out. 

Thanks,

Paul.

• Thanks 1