Virtualizing OSX 10.4.7 on VMware Fusion for nostalgia - when I try to update it, it breaks. Anyone know why?

1 post in this topic

I recently found this VMware image of OSX 10.4 (it's listed as 10.10 Yosemite, but it's actually 10.4.7 Tiger). It works really well, runs out of the box on my VMware Fusion 8.5.10 on OSX 10.14 Mojave.

rYNvww3.png

The automatic updater even still works! However, when I update the system, either to 10.4.11 using the updater, or by installing the 10.4.8 update dmg manually, it breaks:

v9umc3z.png

0l3Z2cD.png

I don't know how this VM was set up initially, and I wasn't actually running OSX on non-Apple hardware back during the time when 10.4 was modern, so I'm hoping maybe someone here can tell me what's going on.

I'm thinking that there's probably something special that needs to be set up for the system to boot at all, which gets erased when the update runs. So I should install the update, then choose not to restart, so that I can ensure the system stays bootable.

Hope anyone can help! I'm trying to recreate my old 10.4 work setup, but Adobe CS 3 won't install without having at least 10.4.8 installed. Appreciate any help. :)

edit:

Just now I was able to press F8 before boot to get verbose info. (Since it crashes almost instantly you need to press F8 at a very specific time, so earlier I thought it wasn't possible to do.)

Here's what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUI57HKUok

Here's the last visible frame of the log before it crashes:

UZ2Khrs.png

Edited by dada78641